Simplistic NJFET RIAA

If you will ever be in hot-rod mood just solder 4.7 Ohm 5W over the 15 Ohm CCS set resistors so to make thermal and subjective observations. As you mentioned, we should not forget that one of the reasons we kept it a lower heat build is that it has to be in a box for most builders and high current heat can side effect the signal JFETS operation points much more in a high gain phono than in an actively CCSed operation point line buffer.

*Not everybody, your sinks will become barbecue grills, only Stajo that has external bigger ones

As I need to relocate my boards to a better box I will investigate how to add more cooling and then test. As Stajo did with closed compartmens for different temperatures. :)

Regards

Joined 2011
Paid Member
To show you guys the principle

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 208
To show you guys the principle

Just so Stajo. I'm thinking about one long cooler as the ones you have for the dcb1. It would as a bonus add stability. I'm also looking into a compartment for the 369'ers but it might be enough to shield the powerfets from the rest. Any problem using those long legs on the powerfets?

This is only in my mind for now so no pics yet :D

Regards

Joined 2011
Paid Member
One long sink and isolation pads would be easyest, tho I dont know how that would affect voltage stability since they all then will follow the same heating curve. Can be for the better or worse or no difference. Try it.

Didnt notice any problems with long legs and it would surprise me if 3-4 mm could make a difference there.

One long sink and isolation pads would be easyest, tho I dont know how that would affect voltage stability since they all then will follow the same heating curve. Can be for the better or worse or no difference. Try it.

Didnt notice any problems with long legs and it would surprise me if 3-4 mm could make a difference there.

Well the hotrodded dcb1 uses the same sink either one per side or the bottom of the box where all 4 shares the same sink...

Yes, gotta try it :D

Regards

It seems that music and you just had one of those Willy DeVille moments :D

Heaven Stood Still

Well one moment would be quite natural - but every time? Addiction?
I better find a group helping me outta this as I can't withstand the music it provides :D

Seriously - it is very good. I won't say it is the best as it would give problems of anykind. I'll just have to learn to live with it as I have experienced...

Regards

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am trying to use your figures to predict the maximum output from the RIAA pre.

3mV is the specification for a 5cm/s groove modulation.
The typical maximum modulation is ~25cm/s
This would result in a maximum cart signal of 25/5*3 ~ = 15mVac

Applying 43dB of RIAA gain gives a maximum output of inv log(43/20) * 15 = 141.25*15 = ~2.12Vac

Are my numbers correct?
Is my method correct?

Hi Andrew

Take care my friend.

PS: Thank you for the math :)