Simplistic NJFET RIAA

and the amp gain, and the speaker sensitivity :)
My preamp is a buffer – DCB1.

Curious, what's your total gain structure and what's your system?

(One day I will be punished for being on constant off topic.)

Aah, OK, a passive preamp - then, yes, I suggest you will need more than 58dB gain in the phono stage.

Just as an example:
* with 55dB gain in the phono stage
* and with my last preamp - which had only 6db gain,

... I didn't quite get the volume I wanted, when the volume control was fully clockwise. Whereas when I moved to my new preamp, its 11dB of gain is plenty - so I no longer need to turn up the preamp to max.

Speakers are Maggies - very low efficiency (83-84dB); amp has 28dB of gain.

Regards,

Andy

I saw those recently and thought they looked interesting (like, maybe they could be rhopoint oem?). Where are you using them in the circuit, Buzz?

I use them as the 1.5K power resistor dividing the current of the folded stage. I have used them as source resistors in both power amp and preamp builds and will be using them in the signal path in my rebuild of the Salas 6v6 preamp. I think you have to go to a 5ppm SMD(Vishay TNPU or Susumu RG) or the Naked Vishay's to see much improvement, but you do so at a large multiple of the price. Is it audible? At this range it is getting tough to discern and the build has to be executed very well to appreciate the subtle differences.

The biggest supplyer of VARs seems to be Partsconnexion Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z-FOIL RESISTOR

Digikey seems to have 3 sizes https://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/vishay-precision-z-foil-var-resistor/310

Then it is Hificollective that sells CARs Charcroft Z-Foil Resistors for Audio homepage. Does those hold the same qualities? Anyone knows other sources?

Looks like Charcroft had Vishay make some "special order" resistors for them and just rebranded.

I buy them direct from TEXAS COMPONENTS

The biggest supplyer of VARs seems to be Partsconnexion Vishay VAR-Series "naked" Z-FOIL RESISTOR

Digikey seems to have 3 sizes https://www.digikey.com/product-highlights/us/en/vishay-precision-z-foil-var-resistor/310

Then it is Hificollective that sells CARs Charcroft Z-Foil Resistors for Audio homepage. Does those hold the same qualities? Anyone knows other sources?

Contact Ms. Janet Alcebo - jalcebo@texascomponents.com - she will send you an invoice and you can pay through PAYPAL.

Takes about two weeks for them to make what you want. You can get any value you desire and the price is a little better than any of those other folks will charge you.

The CHARCROFT must be the same thing - sure look the same. I am sure Ms. Alcebo would tell you if there is any difference.

Last edited:
I've just tested my PSU built with the GB PCB and using Hammond 229D34 transformers with 2x17V secondaries. My mains voltage is exactly 230V but for some reason (the 15% regulation perhaps) the transformers put out 39VAC which ends up as 52.5VDC unloaded at the DC outputs. Is that voltage safe to feed the Folded with or do I need to lower it and if so what would be the easiest way to do that?

Use 500 Ohm 10W resistor (or any combo like 1k//1k 10W) as dummy load so to create ~100mA draw to see how low your raw DC will go when loaded before you apply the real load (phono). Better safe than sorry. That way you can adjust the dropping resistors on the PSU board higher if the raw level stays uncomfortably high. Don't touch the dummy load and don't lay it against plastic surface etc. its gonna go hot.

Thanks Salas. I had to eBay some cheap 10W resistors before I could try this out. So, with 1R dropping resistors and the 500R dummy load I'm getting 49.5V/50.2V. I'm guessing I will have to increase the value of the dropping resistors then?