Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You did run 200mA through the CCS.;) Add a 6.8R in series with your 15R. With given LEDs, that will tend to run around 140mA. See if it holds better, or there is a mistake somewhere else. Measure the drop across the set resistors combo, so to check if you are in the ballpark for CCS current.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Canadian Club I always liked.:D

Attachments

• cc_bottle_2_3.jpg
    cc_bottle_2_3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,366

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Stixx said:
Don't know whether the Maida is good for 120mA... see post Nr. 138 in this thread.
Mine is working very well at 55mA and gets barely warm to the touch (heatsink of IRFP450 that is).

Edit. just saw that Salas replied already ;)

stixx, thanks. If the resistor between the mosfet and lm317 is removed, I think the Maida should be able to do quite a bit more current. It works in simulation.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I got a weird behaviour with the hv shunt. The non-standard components are:
* irfpc60 instead of the 840
* 2n3906 instead of the bc560b
Everything else is just as the schematic. For the output a 1k resistor. I hooked the regulator to a variable power supply, and started to raise the voltage from 0 up. If I raise the voltage slowly, most times it goes up at the output as well, just fine. But if the input voltage goes up quickly, the output voltage stays stuck at about 15-17V. Any idea why this would happen?

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
SpreadSpectrum said:
stixx and ikoflexer,

I have a maida that powers a stereo kt88 push-pull amp, 200-500mA at 460V. It does indeed work. Not as well as the shunt, I am sure, but efficiency would be a huge problem here.

That's very good to know, thanks!

I replaced the 2n3906s with a couple of 2n4402s and the problem seems to have disappeared. Next, let's see what it does in the amp ;)

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:
Just nice to see that this shunt does not blow with parts I have never had used on it.:D

Well, let's see, a lesson not to pay attention to American Idol when your wife says "watch this" :violin: Last night were sacrificed an irfpc60 and an mpsa92 feeding 256V into the output of the shunt :blush: :headbash: Furthermore one irfp9240, one irfpc60, and one mpsa92 were burned on the altar of Shunt :nownow: when trying the jfet trick.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
salas said:
Did you slip a probe?

Just after making sure that the shunt works ok while on the bench supply, I stuck it into the real amp in between the tubes and psu. The problem was that I was paying more attention to the TV and wired the shunt in reverse, input to output and output to input :whazzat:

The shunt is working now, but I cannot say how well yet, ran out of time last night.