Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reality check is also OK. :D

Good. :p

So OPAMP is lowering distortions in B-class bias setup.

I don't think so. The sound is not "clean", but enjoyable(I think I am fond of xover distortion) :happy1:. With >100mA it becomes clean.

What, you supply the amp from a battery? :cold:

Precisely. 15000uF; 2 of them. :headshot:
juz kiddin'

DC servo is realy not needed here at SSA. If you make all the steps correctly: hFE match, input BJT thermall joint and proper connections according to schematic, than you will get +/-10mV max offset variations below 1Hz, which is negligible. ;)

Yup, that's how I like it.

I already made it in post #823 ...
I'm afraid with this potentiometer on the gates of the power transistors and that the lengh of connections it suppose on printed board tend to some oscillations ? Too the driver's current has to be important in order to feed the gate capacitance at hight frequencies, right ? Can't be dangerous for the pot in case of failure ?

This negative input could be used on asymmetrical input amps amps to add a a 5Hz high pass Tension Feedback in order to make a servo with reasonable condensers values. Only need one or two resistances more and a cap.

Last edited:
I'm afraid with this potentiometer on the gates of the power transistors and that the lengh of connections it suppose on printed board tend to some oscillations ? Too the driver's current has to be important in order to feed the gate capacitance at hight frequencies, right ? Can't be dangerous for the pot in case of failure ?

Look I prepared you some values. I'm sure that 15mA driver's current is sufficient not to allow outputs to oscillate. ;)

This negative input could be used on asymmetrical input amps amps to add a a 5Hz high pass Tension Feedback in order to make a servo with reasonable condensers values. Only need one or two resistances more and a cap.

That would not cancel DC offset anymore than simple trimmer in sch cause the input stage has inherent offset variations which can be lowered only by separate DC servo. Please try to forget DC servo offset control here cause that is completely unnecessary by this design. ;)

In SSA Balanced Input schematic I marked with * the parts needed for balanced version which can simply be omitted in unbalanced version, so very smooth transition. :cool:

Attachments

• SSA Balanced Input.jpg
    SSA Balanced Input.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 1,253
In SSA Balanced Input schematic I marked with * the parts needed for balanced version which can simply be omitted in unbalanced version, so very smooth transition. :cool:

So if we want to keep the possibility to feed with sym source we can place sym parts on pcb bord and let -in floting when asym use. If that very great stuff.

Marc

That would not cancel DC offset anymore than simple trimmer in sch cause the input stage has inherent offset variations which can be lowered only by separate DC servo.
That would not cancel DC offset anymore than simple trimmer in sch cause the input stage has inherent offset variations which can be lowered only by separate DC servo. Please try to forget DC servo offset control here cause that is completely unnecessary by this design.
This wiill reduce it,i'm sure of that, when unbalanced input is requested (i know, you do not like that, but i t like some times to reduce the move of cones of Bass reflex drivers under their resonances frequencies):
The 1k is unnecessary, just to protect the npn from short circuit of a power Fet. It will reduce the overall gain of DC to 1.1, instead of 1 if replaced by a strap. Without those somponents, the gain in DC is 10 with the proposed values by L.C. .
Nb: Following the PSU lines you use, so the power of your SSA amp, the CR resistances values (the overall gain of your amp) have to be set in order to get a full power for 1Vrms at the input. You can remove the 10k from the base of the NPN to the ground, and replace the 1K by 10k, as well.

Attachments

• SSA Balanced Input.gif
    SSA Balanced Input.gif
    50.2 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I appreciate your cooperation, you're wellcome, but please this is SSA thread and we are discovering implementations in accordance to SSA principle. :)

:confused: But it is SSA implementation, its the same design without cascodes.

Out of curiosity I implementing those cascodes on a JLH headphone amp and although it did sound different it was not better, I prefer without but it will appeal to some.

Well, my proposal for a Board implementation would be using strap to give the choice: Symmetrical / Unsymetrical with DC comp and low pass filtering. With the cap value, filter will have a cutoff of 5hz with a 100k resistance, that you can change with the value of the 100k resistance. 47k will gives 10hz, 25k ->20hz etc, 33k->30hz. And you can forget to implant any of those if you don't want.

Attachments

• SSA Balanced Input2.gif
    SSA Balanced Input2.gif
    51.5 KB · Views: 963
Esperado I am glad to see that you are very interested in this un/balanced version cause it enables you customization to your needs. ;)

Right now I am working on High Performance unbalanced version and I looks very promising, will report later. :)

At the same time I am thinking about the elegance of the later SSA balanced sch which is also very appealing to me to make it in near future. :rolleyes:

Also all symmetrical differential input designs can be easily turned into full balanced version with global negative current feedback. A whole new space of an experimentation opened, me just love it. :D

Attachments

• SSA to Balanced Input.jpg
    SSA to Balanced Input.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.