Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is funny, how many diplomatic words must be used instead simple claiming...." this one is by my opinion better, 'cos have ( for example ) lower hearable distortion... " Guys, don't say still something about " impression " - all is only about distortion and some amp have it higher and some have it lower... But as I see, not so many people are able to recognize it....

oh well,
this is not fair for AKSA or for SKA.....
Those two amps are two different worlds, two different phylosophies... they have not equal power... they can't be put in a/b test because testing can't be the same for both amps...
Aksa 55 is having only 55W... and it is not fair to compare it to the amp that has 3 times more power (regardless which amplifier is better)... off course Aksa will not be in good position if the speakers need bigger amount of power.... but we have Aksa 100 - it will be better to compare those two amps if there is the need to compare......
but i think that we will have there also two different sides. one that will like SKA and one that will like Aksa..... guys it is good that we have variates.... we can enjoy and not fight because of it.....
so lets concentrate on making things better and not on destroying basic things why this hoby is that good and interesting.... :)

peace brothers

Upupa Epops said:
But as I see, not so many people are able to recognize it....

Pavel,
what is your opinion on the SKA ?

Personally, i think Hugh and Greg should have a shootout in the Aussie dessert with real guns.
(or just a shoutout, screaming as hard as possible for an hour)
I'm here to get exited enough, reading on parts and schemes, and then jump the misses.

Is BMW better than a Merc ? A Holden superior to a Falcon ? A Toyota beats a Subaru?

If the answer was clear cut there would only be one make of car on the road. Oh and they would all be silver because thats the best colour.

Were not in east Germany folks where the only choice of vehicle was a Trabant.

From what I read on these forums collectively we seem interested , consciously or not , in the journey as much as reaching a particlular destination. Some of us will reach the finish line at point A others will go to destination B some to C and be happy. Some will remain restless and continue to explore .

We are fortunate indeed when we can choose between a variety of such great offerings.

A word to the moderators: in my opinion youve been a bit too willing to press the censorship button in this thread. We are capable of recognising when somebody is going over the top.. and there wasnt anything defamatory or libellous. As somebody said earlier
you risk stifling discussion and it becomes sterile. We dont need that much protection. These are not bullets being fired or napalm released. Its ideas and opinions and advice and knowledge.Whats more the contributors you pinged earlier are not habitual offenders .

Debate that is robust and uncomfortable sould not be automatically deleted and if it goes a bit off topic well some one will keep asking the question they want answered .

Ps I want to know what everyone thinks of the SKA even if they havent heard it and then I can make up my own mind.

I 've been a Moderator (Lansing Heritage) and them some at much higher levels on a forum.

The right to discuss such issues is in a forum called Forum Issues so please resist any further tempation

I gave up because it was time very consuming and I wanted to enjoy my hobby again. These days I spend my time helping others enjoy their diyaudio pursuits such as this SKA project.

Someone wanted a close up of the ska so here it is.

Attachments

• closeup3.jpg
    closeup3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,179
My opinion, Jacco ? I like fullsymetric connections and SKA is for me very symphatic... ;) Also measuring and pics from scope are very perfect. I mean, that Greg have quite clear on his head... ;) This amp will be very accurate, but for many people " too much ", ofcourse, 'cos show him lacks rest of chain....Most of people don't know distinguish it and they are searching for one, which will be more " merciful ".... This is basic problem of all hifi....

Moderators are a need, because sometimes we make excesses, well, at least i use to

make my mistakes, as to cut myself shaving, to hit my foot finger by accident, to make bad judgements about people, to let emotions dominates me....well, i ensure you that i am human, when sometimes i think there are Orion habitants between us.

I can remember very well that one guy "detonated" a wonderfull designer, Mr. Graham Maynard, someone that contributed a lot with this forum, unfortunattelly our moderators were slow related to pull the trigger related the "bad mood invader".

Well, now a days, Graham is much more happy, writing texts to magazines, giving lessons of electronics in schools and not reading disagreements that came from someone that never constructed nothing, never heard nothing, or at least, not in the minimum level needed to discuss with Graham...but entered to disagree, to dennie, with repeated:

I do not think so
I do not believe
I do not buy the idea

Well...very hard and repeated times.

Entering hard, to block some evil dinamics may be interesting...to produce a break when someone is beeing smashed or keeped against a wall or corner, beeing forced to defend themselves...you may understand, as i do not have adequated words to explain...my language is Portuguese, the actual dominating portuguese (ahahahaa., provocation for some guys) as we are 200 millions against 20 percent that are speaking the original, ancient Portuguese...hehe.

But was a persecution, not a Paranoid Persecution Delirium...was areal persecution...were Graham was, there's the guy...as he could not be so good as Graham, his intention was destruct Graham image...and he did.

The respect people had to Graham disappeared as magic, a lot of guys started to discuss some Graham theories that they do not even understood and some made comparison testings, not knowing the comparison testing techniques, that are very difficult to make, even beeing hard experienced, ...well, tests made that was showing defects in sonics that i could not listen here, and also my friends could not observe....so.....killing softly, burning the image, burning Graham's film...the guy did it till the end, when Graham gave up.

Also i could see someone discussing with a high level Enginneer, someone hard experienced, having more knowledge in each hair wire than normal guys could colect studying in their entire life.... someone was discussing, and wrong, some electrolitic capacitor polarity.... the enginneer, experienced and commanding enormous staff in 3 industries at same time explaining that the polarity was wrong and the beginner saying no!...that the experienced was wrong!..... and the experienced gave up, as he did not wanted to loose his time with some guys (exception they are) that had "closed minds", and not respect related the experienced old EEs.

There are people that do not read our informations, our profile, and beginners goes discussing with someone that has more time beeing Enginneer than the other guy have related age!

We also have the "bad mood" guys too, those that love to "do not understand" how we can apreciate such awfull or old things alike that.... cooperation is no one!...criticisms are 100 percent...do not teach nothing, they do not post nothing, just enter to bother...and the trigger is resting there.

I think moderators are needed, and have to be much more hard.

I know a moderator that fail with me, but i can accept that no one is perfect, as i can make my mistakes, moderators also can...now a days i do not hate that moderator, i just avoid him, as he shots very fast and them go to check the shotted one...and cannot return anymore.

This amplifier SKA may be wonderfull, i already listen to it (but was a pirate amplifier with some not original schematic) and also had informs related guys that already listened.

It is good to have a thread about it, but the mention that winned this one, that killed that other one, or that kicked the ..... of one more are at least very undelicated, as behing each product there are a human beeing, a sensitive man, that will be hardly offended.

I think that the people can try to be more delicated, having more care about those things, as equipments are made of metal, humans have flesh and heart, and those things hurts!

regards,

Carlos

well, everybody has its own taste related music - and also food, womans and all other stuff.... that is what is making life so beautifull.....variates....... :)

well, i do not have anything against precision but also do not have anything against coloured sound.... i am working with tubes a little bit and i like the "taste" of it.... i also have Aksa at my home as one of two power amplifiers that i am using .... she is good... enters emotion into the sound.... well, i assume that to much accurate and cold would not suit my taste.... i like precision and fast sound; the amplifier that can show a lot of things that are happening in the recorded music.... i like to listen to details .... but do not like sound without emotions - it is like sex with a machine.... better to have emotions.... and i do get that from aksa - even if it is intentionally coloured.... i like the way she is playing..... i don't say that aksa is not precise - it is ... it has a wonderfull way of playing....

i only want to know here if SKA is having emotions in the sound... If SKA can reproduce music precise, fast, with huge sounstage but not without emotions, not cold ??? can it reproduce MUSIC not just be precise and cold.... Can somebody say this to me please?

best regards to Greg and to his effort ( big Thank You) - it is very good if we have another good amplifier that we can make as a kit and be 100% sure that it will sound very, very good by default...

sunny

Upupa - i agree with You completelly - but you can enjoy them as much as wine or womans .... they are different - we can say that cars are also not as wine and womans but many people have almost extasy when driving very powerfull and fast car.......
- also i have listened to amplifiers that were preety much accurate and fast and everything - but they did not have the soul.... since i can't go to (lets say) Patricia Barbour concert i want to get the most out of the recording i have.... otherwise there will be no hifi systems and we would sit at our homes smashing drums or something..... well, since we have the oportunity to listen something that is recorded, my humble opinion is that we should have all the components that are there... and i did not perceive some components that are making the music that is recorded really a musci in some amplifiers - doesn't matter if they are accurate, fast or not.... :)
since iknow that this amplifier is fast accurate with good soundstage and control of the bass i want to know is it also transfering emotions .... simple question for simple answer.... i do not want to make out of this thread a schoool of phylosophy but to have a simple answer from guys that have this amplifier at home.....
i know that i will not know for sure until the day i purchase the amplifier - and that day will be maybe in far future (i do not know) since i have allready two different amplifiers that are different in character and i values them a lot...... each one of them i love very much.... and they are different.....
here - i am courious .... i am asking the information :)
best regards
sunny

i surelly want to know the amplifier - to know how it is comunicating with me......

well, it is a little bit difficult to understand what you have had in your mind with the last post (because my english is not that good as yours) but i assume that you didn't have nothing in your mind to disturb me and that both of us are o.k. :)

all in all - many compliments to Greg and to his work .... very nice and clean piece of equipment...
i will wait until somebody that has SKA amplifier made can tell me the answer to my question => is it transmiting emotions as good as it is fast and accurate.... ??

Until that reply - best regards and happy diy to all.....:D :angel:

In some ammount Epupa, we are here, the representatives or our country.

So, you are giving us some ideas about your country...the way you think can be confused.

People can imagine, of course a mistake that imagination, as everyone of us are different...but you know that those things repeated times may turn some "image" of your country.

People may start to think,that many guys in your country has that enormous imagination and flexible mind as you are showing us.

Some reflections about this are needed, as some Asiatic countries are with their image burned just because a lot of fake components arrive in our countries with some asiatic factories fake printed on them....those parts could be made here in South America, or other place of the world, but people is believing that those bad things are coming from Asia.

Even not beeing true, those components are representing Asia, as they have printed marks on them.

Your ideas, mood, and everything else are giving some fake image of your country, as you may not be the perfect representative of your country....... or may be the perfect representative, i do not know, but those things need reflections.

Much more than Destroyer X i am a Brazilian, a Latine guy, a South American, a third world representative of my country together other brazilians that we have in this forum.

Well, i see this as a honor and an enormous responsability related my country, that is peacefull by nature, so, i cannot figth hard, as i will not represent my place...but i can be emotional, sensitive and friendly, as my people is by their nature.

I wish that you are representing adequatelly your country.

Just to think about.

By the way, everybody loves Sunrise, and some subjective analisis about KSA, or SKA,....well, confused AKSA letters only...coincidence maybe, but strange, as AKSA is famous brand...the one that did not put the adress to receive answers, please, observe who is hijacking what!

I prefer people that are sufficient responsable to post their adresses to face some personall and confidential discussion, as people post things and do not let us go directly to them to talk alike two adults, alike men.

My adress, personal is:

nanabrother@yahoo.com

It is open to have real, deep, true and courageous conversations, not adequate to be public.

regards,

Carlos

Common Pavel,

you've figured long ago that the common characteristic of many forum members is that they are all passion driven people.
Less passionate folks with an interest for electronics do not get hooked on audio gear.
Some are more outspoken in showing their sensitivity and emotions; Mr Pass, Carlos, Greg Ball.
Others cover it, or haven't given much thought yet to why they fancy audio electronics so much.

I too find it often amusing to see members transfer their emotions to electronic hardware and comparing it with food, drink and someone you crave to jump in the sack.
Even funnier to see others post that they want amplifiers to transfer those emotions to them.
All comes down to the same thing, people want the stuff at home to produce sound as lifelike as possible.
Live music induces emotions. For some the emotion is comparable with something they drink, for another the same as watching a naked Brazilian babe at the beach.

I haven't got a clue what the difference is between an amplifier that sounds like red wine or one that resembles a chateau d'yquem.
Nor the difference between a skinny and a fat lady, i'll jump 'm both.
That an amplifier design is capable of reproducing sound in a way that creates emotions does mean something, i've heard plenty commercial ones that do not.

jacco vermeulen said:
Common Pavel,

you've figured long ago that the common characteristic of many forum members is that they are all passion driven people.
Less passionate folks with an interest for electronics do not get hooked on audio gear.
Some are more outspoken in showing their sensitivity and emotions; Mr Pass, Carlos, Greg Ball.
Others cover it, or haven't given much thought yet to why they fancy audio electronics so much.

I too find it often amusing to see members transfer their emotions to electronic hardware and comparing it with food, drink and someone you crave to jump in the sack.
Even funnier to see others post that they want amplifiers to transfer those emotions to them.
All comes down to the same thing, people want the stuff at home to produce sound as lifelike as possible.
Live music induces emotions. For some the emotion is comparable with something they drink, for another the same as watching a naked Brazilian babe at the beach.

I haven't got a clue what the difference is between an amplifier that sounds like red wine or one that resembles a chateau d'yquem.
Nor the difference between a skinny and a fat lady, i'll jump 'm both.
That an amplifier design is capable of reproducing sound in a way that creates emotions does mean something, i've heard plenty commercial ones that do not.

thank you Jacco,
that is precisely what i have had in mind by asking the question..... thank You - i could not say this better.....
regards
sunny

Hi all,
I have just wasted :grumpy: many minutes reading 3 pages of posts (29) and none are on topic. :shutup:

I think the moderators need to be more ruthless.

Lets HEAR what SKA actually sounds like or how easy it is to build or what a modification sounds like or how something went wrong that we need to avoid.

Macka,
you should be taken out at dawn and shot :headshot: (just joking)- putting in those presets where Amp Guru intended top screw multi-turn pots is real penny pinching. :judge: Maybe you were so enthusiastic you could not wait for the postman arriving and you have already fitted the proper pots.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.