Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe you should read post 230 again, it is very much on topic and exactly what I was hoping Pavel would say.
And plenty reason for some to construct a GB.

Me, i am very interested finding out whether a GB in AB or A differs. Long time ago i constructed an opamp driven fast symmetrical vmosfet AVM design amplifier. Very analytical, but with a significant difference in class AB or A mode. I even talked the designer into making a class A model, the model 5 is still sold.

I agree, we should shoot the MacKenzie bloke as well, he's only posting pics of amplifiers.:clown:
Plenty of East Germans that would have taken an HSV over a Trabi any day !

I like precision work, guys...precision in all aspects...design of PCB, design of concept, precision made case, precision parametres.... I don't like, when someone " sing " enthusiastly over some sparrow nest...and praise something, which's have graph of distortion like comb for louse ;) Yes, I understand to people, which made something by his own hand, it is enjoy, but all have own border... ;)

Upupa Epops said:
My opinion, Jacco ? I like fullsymetric connections and SKA is for me very symphatic... ;) Also measuring and pics from scope are very perfect. I mean, that Greg have quite clear on his head... ;) This amp will be very accurate, but for many people " too much ", ofcourse, 'cos show him lacks rest of chain....Most of people don't know distinguish it and they are searching for one, which will be more " merciful ".... This is basic problem of all hifi....

What does symphatic mean?

I thought I was just dumb, but it ain't in the dictionary either.

Cheers

Terry

jacco vermeulen said:
I've just received the GB150 boards from Mr Ball.

Knowing why Mr Ball made this design, and his background, does not make me question the plots he posted of the SKA.
I'm just interested in how well such a low cost design does compared to the traditional ones.
You'd like distortion numbers ?

Jacco,

What ARE the distortion numbers?

So far all I have seen is a lot of boasting about super linearity and
the snippets of actual measurements appear not too different
from the measurements of "that other oz amp", which is getting
bashed for being so called euphonic.

Where are the FFT's? Into 4 ohms, at 10KHz and at decent power.

Bruce Candy, came up with an idea, developed it, got a patent
and proved it's worth in measurements. Ultra low distortion at
full power, 4 ohms, 20kHz. That was his goal... acheived.
Great product, aclaimed world wide.

Does B.C. publicly refer to himself as 'guru' ? Does he belittle other
products in public or their designers?

No forum ********, no slanging matches, just let the product stand
on it's OWN feet.

I like that.

*edited, removed stuff that would prolly have me sent to
sunny Texas

*continued

I say let there be many amplifier designers, let them spawn
their own good ideas, hopefully make some money and let
people enjoy the fruits of their labours.

Yeah, I know, I am sometimes too much of an idealist.

Cheers,

Terry

Well Greg wanted to know how the GB 150 compared to the Aleph so here you are Sir:

Tonight the air has cooled to make class A a reasonable alternative.

In the comparions I used an Aleph 60, a BOSOZ - X cc pre amplifier and JBL 4345 studio monitors. Everthing has be checked and calibrated, even the monitors were carefully postioned to exacting standards to ensure precise imaging.

The program material was a special recording from the Max (Australian Icons) Acoustic series live at the Forum theatre.

Firstly I will start by saying I have played the GB150 for several weeks without switching it off or comparing it to the Aleph. This has allowed me sufficient time to appreciate the amp's finer qualities and unwind from my previous equipment listening experience. I refer to my earlier summary of GB150 and those impressions posted previously in this thread.(post 81)

I played the GB 150 for an hour tonight. As noted earlier it is very exacting and has an uncanny way of articulating the upper registers. The amp images very well and is very dynamic.

Now the Aleph.

It only took 3 minuties to appreciate what the Aleph is about and 10 minutes to write.

In simple terms you forget the equipment and started really believing James Reyne is singing right there and your in the audience.

With the SKA you are reminded of what its doing because its is exacting and to some extent a bit too full on.

I think its the last ounce of resolving power and the way the Aleph depicts singers and instruments sonically than conveys this impression. Nothing is forced on you and the rendition of tonal structures is supremely natural.

That just adds up to a more pleasurable listening experience.

Based on my impressions the Aleph is a superior audio amplifier.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Macka,

Is the Pass system good enough for you to understand the words James Reyne is singing? :D

I love Australian Crawl and James Reyne but have never been able to decipher more than 3 words in a row. I'd love an amp that could do that.

What's your favourite track?

regards

Thanks for the questions,

The levels were identical during the evaluations.

I played several things including DVD, CD and vinyl.
Would someone like to donate me a SACD flagship model!

Is wasn't subtle and I still like the Aska and I will leave it at that.
Its really a case of putting everything in perspective. I doubt those interested in the SKA would be interested in the Aleph.

Actually James is a hard act to follow but I could write the lyrics down for you if you like!..One More River is nice.

Macka

Greg Erskine said:
Hi Macka,

Is the Pass system good enough for you to understand the words James Reyne is singing? :D

I love Australian Crawl and James Reyne but have never been able to decipher more than 3 words in a row. I'd love an amp that could do that.

What's your favourite track?

regards

macka said:
Thanks for the questions,

The levels were identical during the evaluations.

I played several things including DVD, CD and vinyl.
Would someone like to donate me a SACD flagship model!

Is wasn't subtle and I still like the Aska and I will leave it at that.
Its really a case of putting everything in perspective. I doubt those interested in the SKA would be interested in the Aleph.

Actually James is a hard act to follow but I could write the lyrics down for you if you like!..One More River is nice.

Macka

Thanks Macka,

I understand exactly what you are saying having heard a few Pass
amps.

One thing I found interesting was that you indicated the Aleph
had slightly more resolving power. I would have thought the
opposite would be the case given ultra clean nature of SKA.

I dare say SKA might go very well with a HQ tube pre.

WRT, SACD player, grab one of these cheap multi disc players and
mod it. I believe Peter Daniel has done it and others.

I heard one of Joe Rassmusens modded Sonys the other night and
they are pretty darn good. Even compared to mega buck stuff.

Cheers,

Terry

Guys,

...................I wish some one would come out and tell it like it is.
They would have to define their system and then describe the differences they heard. What is being described here is too vague, more like a review in a magazine that accepts a lot of advertising.(.......or a forum that has over zealous moderators.........sorry! I couldn't help myself.)

The review should be fair and impartial and done by someone or persons that have no vested intrest in the outcome. The amps should be tested on a spaker load that is fairly representive of what most people use and later on a more difficult load eg. electrostatics.

Differences described should include

1) Highs
2) Midrange
3) Lows
4) Imageing
5) Tonal quailties
6) Control into difficult loads

.........and the list goes on.

It should not be used as an excuse to take a shot at someone and each product should stand on its own merits.

Jam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.