Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick question about prices for the SKA.
Can it be that prices have increased about more than 30% in the last couple of hours or so?

Either this or I`m really getting old and my eyes and brain play tricks on me:xeye:

I could swear that when I looked at "gurus" website today the price for the GB150 was US$50 for the "Bare PCB pair" and US$ 100 for the "Full module kit pair".
When I look now the prices are A$100 and A$200 respectively.

Don`t tell me that I`m getting old:bawling:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi Cocolino

Your not imagining it.

Greg's intention was always to sell cheap to start off with, barely covering costs and then once the reputation and exposure of the amp had increased, then a price rise would come into effect to make the whole deal worth his time and effort. The prices before just couldn't be maintained, well not if he valued his time.

I still say this is probably the best solidstate design on these forums. So the price is still cheap just not give away cheap as before.

Hello guys, thanks for the replies!

So the price is still cheap just not give away cheap as before.
Hi ShinOBIWAN,

by no means my post was intended to critisise.
I only reflected today if, for that price, I should not just try a pair of SKA`s myself and I was already about to email Mr. Ball. As I have casually refreshed loading his webpage once again a couple of hours later, I just wasn`t sure if before I have actually seen what I thought I have seen.

Finally I`m glad my eyes are still working okay:)

I still say this is probably the best solidstate design on these forums.
What would highly interest me though how the "SKA" would compare to "Symasym"....... guess I have to find out myself.... eventually.

originally posted by audiofan
I was looking for transfo and stuff....
Same here, today checked my "inventory" for suitable transformers but did not have luck.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
cocolino said:
What would highly interest me though how the "SKA" would compare to "Symasym"....... guess I have to find out myself.... eventually.

Hi again Cocolino

I wholeheartedly agree, if Mike's Symasym came as kit I'd probably be ordering one right now. I've spoken to Terry (still4given) who has compared it to his P101's and the results sound encouraging indeed.

ShinOBIWAN said:
I'd thought I'd pretty much got all the bits needed to get the SKA's going on their arrival but sadly I forgot one thing - the heatsinks. I really wanted to get them going and Greg helpfully suggested that I use my AKSA heatsink along with a piece of wood and spring clamps to temporarily mount them.

Hi ShinOBIWAN,

How many GB150D did you fit on a single AKSA 55N+ heatsink?
Will be very impressive & attractive if you have fitted two.

Sam

ShinOBIWAN said:
I really don't appreciate my every post being moved to texas.

ShinOBIWAN

Sometimes is better say nothing.
Anyway some of your post are not that bad ..... ;)
I especially liked your good evaluation of The SKA Sound.
I see other liked that post too.

Post #148 - ShinOBIWAN SKA Impressions

an original lineup quotation:

Anyone who repeatedly keeps on asking for trouble
will ultmately endup in trouble.

ctviggen said:
I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

See post 81,82,83.

If you go to amp Guru's web page (see his profile) there are PS details there.

"Some of the greatest discussions have come as a result of off-topic replies. If something interesting does arise that warrants further discussion then continue your discussion privately over email, or even better start a new thread and link to it. This rule will of course be used with discretion."

Given the recent events I see no alternative but to open a new thread, "Everything you need to know build a SKA diy amplifier." I will discuss it with Greg Ball.

I may also talk to Jason. Something is just not quite right about all of this.

Are you sure they're posts 81, 82, and 83? I see pictures but no details. I know how to create a power supply. I just don't know where to buy a case and all the associated extra stuff it takes to build an amp. There are PS details at Greg's site (though not much about the larger amp), but nothing about cases, switches, all the stuff it really takes to put an amp together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.