Simple DAC for LinkPlayA28/31

It appears some explanations may refer to a local crystal clock as verses an external MCLK from some source device. Maybe that could be taken to suggest auto synchronous/asynchronous mode switching. In other words, if something like an internal DPLL_NUM indicates MCLK is synchronous with I2S clocks, then run it that way.

One other thing to note is that the LinkPlay modules are set to a fixed frequency of 48kHz regardless of the sampling rate of the actual music itself. This is not a limitation of the hardware (can go up to 192kHz), but the firmware. I've been working with PE and provided requirements to LinkPlay for an updated firmware, but not getting a lot of traction. I've been able to use these modules to feed R2R DACs (TDA1541, AD1862, etc.) since they don't require MCLK and they work just fine, but once again frequency is locked to 48kHz.

Reactions: 1 user
One other thing to note is that the LinkPlay modules are set to a fixed frequency of 48kHz regardless of the sampling rate of the actual music itself. This is not a limitation of the hardware (can go up to 192kHz), but the firmware. I've been working with PE and provided requirements to LinkPlay for an updated firmware, but not getting a lot of traction. I've been able to use these modules to feed R2R DACs (TDA1541, AD1862, etc.) since they don't require MCLK and they work just fine, but once again frequency is locked to 4

Hi Smith,

Can I call you Smith?

Well, I bought the Linkplay A28 module from PE recently. for around $10 + tax + shipping the usual.

1) the first thing that was noticed by me is that Linkplay does not sell a standard product (White Labled). what it means is that - if you see the image on PE for A28 it has a ram chip, whereas the product I got does not have the ram chip.

2) I am unable to access the 10.10.10.254 ( WebServer) but i can do API calls to it to see the details

3) I had emailed with photo to PE but they do not seem to be able to get through Linkplay to understand that there is a difference and a defect ( 10.10.10.2544) and they very very kind do give another board but it is also without hte ram chip.

4) how do i fix Point # 2

4) as you put it that it will play at 48khz regardless so than can i use PCM5102 and 5122 in hardware mode get done with the build.

Thank you for the informative post. i had a converstation with Greg and Andy over at PE

Hi Smith,

Can I call you Smith?

Well, I bought the Linkplay A28 module from PE recently. for around $10 + tax + shipping the usual.

1) the first thing that was noticed by me is that Linkplay does not sell a standard product (White Labled). what it means is that - if you see the image on PE for A28 it has a ram chip, whereas the product I got does not have the ram chip.

2) I am unable to access the 10.10.10.254 ( WebServer) but i can do API calls to it to see the details

3) I had emailed with photo to PE but they do not seem to be able to get through Linkplay to understand that there is a difference and a defect ( 10.10.10.2544) and they very very kind do give another board but it is also without hte ram chip.

4) how do i fix Point # 2

4) as you put it that it will play at 48khz regardless so than can i use PCM5102 and 5122 in hardware mode get done with the build.

Thank you for the informative post. i had a converstation with Greg and Andy over at PE
Smith is fine, but I go by Peet :)

Are you able to access it using one of the many version of the mobile apps? These are the ones I know of, WiiM, 4Stream, Hi-Fly, etc.? These apps are effectively the way you control and push music to the modules. Some of the modules still allow you to connect via the web-interface, but there's not a lot that you can do there.

Arylic uses these modules (A31 vs A28) in their DIY solutions.
https://www.arylic.com/products/up2stream-mini-receiver-board

The 4Stream app above is being maintained and supported by them.

Smith is fine, but I go by Peet :)

Are you able to access it using one of the many version of the mobile apps? These are the ones I know of, WiiM, 4Stream, Hi-Fly, etc.? These apps are effectively the way you control and push music to the modules. Some of the modules still allow you to connect via the web-interface, but there's not a lot that you can do there.

Arylic uses these modules (A31 vs A28) in their DIY solutions.

The 4Stream app above is being maintained and supported by them.
Peet, cool

Yes I am able to access the module to connect it to the home Wi-Fi and some app allowed me to rename it on the phone.

App used - 4STREAM and Hi-Fly

Is there some way I could change the firmware, I did see some post on Arylic forum where there was a gentleman who updated the A28 but he is not responding to how he did it

I am able to do airplay via my iPhone.
Was able to use browser API calls to change tracks and increase decrease volume

but I need a dac to hear it

I am aware of Arylic and they use A31 through out most of their products.
After I Saw Arylic, it was in my mind to have a simple design that could be used as card with the module and dac such that I could plug it on my amplifier PCB ( my design ) and have a self running Airplay a long seperate relay selected sources.

what I want is a simple dac chip that has a good layout of pins like PCM5102A or 5122

so I could start with the layout.

Peet, cool

Yes I am able to access the module to connect it to the home Wi-Fi and some app allowed me to rename it on the phone.

App used - 4STREAM and Hi-Fly

Is there some way I could change the firmware, I did see some post on Arylic forum where there was a gentleman who updated the A28 but he is not responding to how he did it

I am able to do airplay via my iPhone.
Was able to use browser API calls to change tracks and increase decrease volume

but I need a dac to hear it

I am aware of Arylic and they use A31 through out most of their products.
After I Saw Arylic, it was in my mind to have a simple design that could be used as card with the module and dac such that I could plug it on my amplifier PCB ( my design ) and have a self running Airplay a long seperate relay selected sources.

what I want is a simple dac chip that has a good layout of pins like PCM5102A or 5122

so I could start with the layout.
I did a couple of quick checks the last two nights and was able to get the A28 to work just fine with R2R DACs (no MCLK needed) albeit only at 44.1kHz (I was wrong about the 48kHz). So if you're mostly listening to 44.1kHz 16bit I have a version of the firmware that should work for you.

• Thank You
I did a couple of quick checks the last two nights and was able to get the A28 to work just fine with R2R DACs (no MCLK needed) albeit only at 44.1kHz (I was wrong about the 48kHz). So if you're mostly listening to 44.1kHz 16bit I have a version of the firmware that should work for you.
Hey Peet

Thank you for that update, I would be glad to have numbers of new r2r DAC’s that are present and can be ordered from mouser or Farnell /Element14

else I was planning to go with PCM5102A as it’s data sheet says 3wire operations

i wonder how the arylic mini v3 manages 24bit / 192kHz when the module only gives 16bit / 44.1kHz

I will check over the weekend what it is playing at and if it is 44.1khz on the module via the Browser API status command. They are same for A31.

Also how do I upgrade without being able to access the web server.

Last edited:
Following along here as I have an A28 I've been banging my head against the wall with for months now. Unfortunately nothing helpful to add but will add in on testing results.

Additionally, unlike aditya, I'm just looking for a plug and play solution, I don't need to design my own PCB, I just want to get audio out of the A28

Last edited:
Following along here as I have an A28 I've been banging my head against the wall with for months now. Unfortunately nothing helpful to add but will add in on testing results.

Additionally, unlike aditya, I'm just looking for a plug and play solution, I don't need to design my own PCB, I just want to get audio out of the A28
I also want Audio out like a stand-alone module that will be like a riser card in my amp

You'll need a DAC for these LinkPlay modules (A28/A31) to get audio out of them. If you don't want to design your own PCB, you'll need to go with one of the Arylic boards (which includes the DAC). That'll be your best option for plug&play - I started with that and that got me into the LinkPlay modules. The module works well, but the sound quality is so-so.

I did a PCB, as breakout board, for which I can share the gerber files if that's of interest. This will give you the I2S outputs (BCK, LRCK, DATA) to feed into a DAC. My recommendation would be an R2R DAC since it doesn't require a Master clock input (MCLK) and in my opinion sounds much better compared to the modern delta sigma dacs - all things being equal. There is an awesome thread ("DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R") on the AD1862 on this forum for building your own DAC using the AD1862 and various other R2R DACs. Only problem is that the current LinkPlay firmware only works with 44.1kHz.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll need a DAC for these LinkPlay modules (A28/A31) to get audio out of them. If you don't want to design your own PCB, you'll need to go with one of the Arylic boards (which includes the DAC). That'll be your best option for plug&play - I started with that and that got me into the LinkPlay modules. The module works well, but the sound quality is so-so.

I did a PCB, as breakout board, for which I can share the gerber files if that's of interest. This will give you the I2S outputs (BCK, LRCK, DATA) to feed into a DAC. My recommendation would be an R2R DAC since it doesn't require a Master clock input (MCLK) and in my opinion sounds much better compared to the modern delta sigma dacs - all things being equal. There is an awesome thread ("DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R") on the AD1862 on this forum for building your own DAC using the AD1862 and various other R2R DACs. Only problem is that the current LinkPlay firmware only works with 44.1kHz.
I would be trying the PCM5102A, which has internal PLL for MCLK. And stated to work without MCLK.

the AD1682 chip is 20bit and obsolete.

Arylic DaC board uses MvSilicon chip for dac and that is also a microcontroller in built for it. And this MV silicon chip does the job of reclocker for external DAC - EES9023.

I have the ESS9023 Arylic board and I plan to try and connect a 50MHz oscillator to it and then interface the Linkplay A28. If this doesn’t work than I will try the PCM5102A.

The Gerber files would be awesome to see if I do end up going the more involved route!

I'm attaching the simple PCB I did to create a breakout board for A28/A31 modules. Consider this a beta and for testing only - my goal with this was to make it easier to work with the module vs having multiple wires all over the place. The LAN interface does work, but I'm not getting the LEDs to turn on, so if anyone has a suggestion on that I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• A31_breakout_pcb.zip
    105.9 KB · Views: 101