Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Is there anyone here who has tried to find the signal direction of the common types of Z-foil resistors (TX2575, Charcroft CAR, Z201) with reference to the resistive layer (nude types) or printed text 'Z201' (encapsulated type)? Left to right or right to left?

I have my own observations, but will share them at a later stage in order not to affect on your opinion.

I remember this interesting test show video about non polarised capacitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnR_DLd1PDI

....but resistors ?
....any informations from secrets Charcroft, Vishay Laboratory ?
This scientific guys know his products.
Some of Vishay's bulk foils have one corner marked but is always the same direction...
"artefact " of plastic break in production process non doubt.
Ayrton Perry version wire wound resistors sound glorious from my experience

Have fun :knight:

Attachments

• C8F07DE3-E3FA-424C-A404-F4311481E70E.JPG
    C8F07DE3-E3FA-424C-A404-F4311481E70E.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 335
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
From all the remaining 36 posts, one person (nightyj) managed to give a helpful answer to the OP. This is still something, at least. I hope the OP is satisfied from this abundantly efficient forum activity.

Haha, it is also a 100% nonsense answer, just repeating the OP question. Worthless.
It's the other responses that give you a glimpse of reality, but hey, that's not popular!

Jan

It's the other responses that give you a glimpse of reality, but hey, that's not popular!

Unfortunately this place is not what it used to be :( I remember people discussing sound properties of components and being useful to each other. And they did it for fun, not for "popularity".

What I saw here was a valid question for a certain group of people. Then another group of people decided to "enlighten" us, without knowing our background at all. Hey it is just a hobby. Why the insults and instructive tone :rolleyes:

Now this thread really turned to trash before it even started...

So reversing all the components in a device should be totally obvious and very easy to do. Use a program to flip the phase of a sound file and then swap the +/- of the speaker cables, done. And no difference in sound. If there was a difference it would have been found and measured by people a lot smarter than you. The ones that are realy pushing the boundaries in electronics. ( designing MRIs, measuring the left over background radiation of the Big Bang, recieving data sent from the edge of our solar system, getting a processor to run at 4 GHz, etc etc. ) So believe what you want, the truth is actually out there if you want to find it but it may hurt your feelings.

Haha, it is also a 100% nonsense answer, just repeating the OP question. Worthless.

Jan

He replied to his question. At least he understood it and shared his personal experience. And this without trying to "enlighten" him with nonsense, something you are doing right now.

Keep your interpretation of reality for yourself and learn to respect other people's point of view if you want to deserve the same.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Folks, the original poster came here with a belief, that component orientation can make a difference, one that others share. It's a trueism in psychology that beliefs can not be overturned by rational argument, it only tends to make them stronger.

So when phrasing your arguments, whatever "side" they're on, bear in mind that you are unlikely ever to influence the strongly-biased, but you can possibly influence others who do not have a fixed mind set, likely to be lurkers who are curious about the phenomenon, but not confirmed enough to be confident posters.

So after you've written something, before you post, consider how an unbiased observer might read it, and what it says about you. ;)

It's a trueism in psychology that beliefs can not be overturned by rational argument, it only tends to make them stronger.

I'm glad I see this written here. Remember that it's applicable for both sides of the discussion.

Keep in mind that while you take someone a fool, you're potentially no different from his point of view. Some respect towards others despite their differences might be useful in order to form a friendly and useful discussion. No matter how absurd some approaches might sound to you, they work for a certain category of audio enthusiasts, they did for decades and some of these people build audio systems that playback audio with such a quality, that many people here will dream to have. Some of these builders will spend the most of their time reading, experimenting and creating instead of practicing the usual forum chit-chat that many do here. As it seems that the later have nothing left to do in their lives, but play an Inquisition game. I thought history was supposed to teach us something?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Godwins law on a resistor directionality thread. My goodness!

Be that as it may, there is more chance that stapling your testicles to your leg will affect the sound of your systems than the Z-foil direction* and you don't see people advocating that. The fact that this has been pointed out doesn't make people 'unfriendly' or the discussion not 'useful'. I do not see this 'lack of respect', just an attempt to educate, which is the correct response when someone is clearly confused about the basics of passive components.

*If the circuit is hard wired and you rotate 90 degrees, then the thermals could change and then at least you have a mechanism to discuss, albeit tiny in any sensible design.

actually one side has laid out exactly what evidence will change their view

all ya gotta do is show up, make these discriminations in a proctored DBT test by someone with the Psychoacoustic and perceptual sensory testing training - like Meyer-Moran's open invite

heck people have even offered US$10K prize money - which went unclaimed in thousands of trials

I'm glad I see this written here. Remember that it's applicable for both sides of the discussion.

Keep in mind that while you take someone a fool, you're potentially no different from his point of view. Some respect towards others despite their differences might be useful in order to form a friendly and useful discussion. No matter how absurd some approaches might sound to you, they work for a certain category of audio enthusiasts, they did for decades and some of these people build audio systems that playback audio with such a quality, that many people here will dream to have. Some of these builders will spend the most of their time reading, experimenting and creating instead of practicing the usual forum chit-chat that many do here. As it seems that the later have nothing left to do in their lives, but play an Inquisition game. I thought history was supposed to teach us something?

sure there's lots of ways of looking at the world - but if you can't stand up to actual tests then what's yours worth

selfy said:
So eventually you end up listening to circuits, tones and THDs and forget about the music itself.
No. Those with the right circuits listen to the music. It is others who listen to their components or whatever.

You will be surprised to find out how many of the "crazy" believers in component directionality are actually people with sound knowledge in circuits and electronics design
I would be surprised if it were true. It is not. Component fussiness is a symptom of lack of circuit knowledge.

50AE said:
Keep your interpretation of reality for yourself and learn to respect other people's point of view if you want to deserve the same.
Someone who believes that 1 is 2, or that Australia is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean, or that resistors are directional does not have a point of view: he has an error, which should be corrected. None of us has his own version of reality, no matter how fervently we might believe or wish for the opposite.

Component fussiness is a symptom of lack of circuit knowledge.

DF96 said that or it is a quotation of a smarter, historically significant mind? May I know his/hers name? Thank you in advance!

Until now my initially serious thread attracted:

- several freelance psychiatrists
- several NASA engineers with high MENSA degree
- several free-roaming trolls

Are there any audiophiles available around or it is an obsolete type of participant in diyaudio.com nowadays? If you do not have any observation re aforementioned case, please find something more significant to do. There is lots of beautiful snow ready to be removed in front of your houses ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.