Signal direction of bulk Z-foil resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That example might even have some correlation, for example if both ends are terminated differently.

The resistor listeners would be more like changing the direction of the tow rope in the hope that one of the directions would make the hazard lights flash visibly brighter....

Regards,
Rundmaus

EDIT: And of course they would report they saw the difference in brightness with their own eyes, so who would object there is an influence?

What is happening here: People need some visible property of their stuff, like direction of markings on components, thickness of speaker wires and so on which they can influence or change, believing that this changes the sound. The rest happens in the mind (willing to believe).

Regards,
Rundmaus

Thank you for your input, Rundmaus. Very valuable and on-topic.

Regards,
reaction

I am talking about hearing, not believing :)
At my bench both directions behave differently as sonic subtleties (TX2575)
Please show us your bench (circuit/construction) and more importantly, tell us about your test protocol.

I know of only one type of (non-polar) passive component that has a relevant asymmetry: some types of film capacitors where one end of the conductive element, the (metalized or solid metal) foil, covers the whole thing, and therefore should always be connected to the lower impedance side of the circuit it is used in, to avoid/reduce capacitive noise pickup and unwanted signal coupling. But of course it does not alter the signal itself.

Well, my opinion and experience is: resistors, capacitors, wires, etc don't have any intrinisic directionality and that is because there is no physical mechanism supporting this (no diodes etc involved).
There might be subtle differences in circuit parastics when one uses certain film capacitors the wrong way but that is something completely different...

Well, my opinion and experience is: resistors, capacitors, wires, etc don't have any intrinisic directionality

Never heard of inner foil connection of film caps? Something that can actually be determined non-destructively and something that makes a worthwhile audible improvement to many who listen?

Regarding the thread...i don't see the point. If are getting down to minute details such as wire and resistor directionality, just spend a couple of minutes per part and mark your preferred direction. Not so hard, is it? Chances the manufacturer was consistent don't appear too high.

Threads like this always invite the worst possible contributions, mostly from dedicated trolls.

Is this something akin to the directional snake?

The first time I heard about directional speaker cables I was thinking "diodes".... well, I believe if we can hear a difference then "something" is adding something, or... is it the other way around, something is adding "something", but if we are going to say build a guitar amp and throw in a bunch of carbon composites too maybe it's all OK? Perhaps there are different metals and alloys when used asymmetrically that can cause a diode effect which perhaps may produce some kind of 2nd harmonics and/or AM modulation, a sort of DC induced bias, for some a pleasurable distortion or perceptional placebo believed to be "good" only because of having spotted a difference, and where lack of differences suddenly becomes a suspiciously spooky thing too "perfect" to be good, brain ghosts....?

Never heard of inner foil connection of film caps?
Did you read my post? I mentioned asymmetric construction of some film caps explicitly twice, and this can make a difference in stray pickup / crosstalk. But those caps don't have a directionality by themselves, put one in a bigger shielded box so parasitics don't matter anymore then you will see (and hear).

99% of film capacitors (modern ones) are constructed like this :

slide_7.jpg

Perfectly symmetric.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If, indeed, there were a direction to a passive component - that mattered - I would not use this component as it is obviously not fit for purpose. It's distorting. In this case it's also expensive which just adds pain to the insult. :)

//

50AE said:
Not so when it comes to many capacitors, where a batch can have a absolute match when it comes to writings vs outer foil.
Outer foil on capacitors has some useful physical meaning, although even that can be overblown. Resistors are not the same.

nightyj said:
Every component has an audible direction but you need listening culture and a good system in some cases to hear the difference.
Normal 'audiophile' nonsense: everything matters, if you can't hear this you are deaf/poor/ stupid etc.

lcsaszar said:
I am more interested in the physics behind it, if there is any.
There isn't.

People change what they can. For some it is cables. For others (who have learnt to solder) it is components. For a few, it is component orientation. Only those who understand circuits can actually change anything which matters: the circuit.

Only those who understand circuits can actually change anything which matters: the circuit.

So eventually you end up listening to circuits, tones and THDs and forget about the music itself.

You will be surprised to find out how many of the "crazy" believers in component directionality are actually people with sound knowledge in circuits and electronics design :cool:

The audio mystics, voodoos, audiophools and direction listeners know nothing about circuits. They use their n'th sense to create a project. They hear differences, because their project design is always faulty and isn't properly made. They always suffer from the placebo effect, they deny showing blind test results in the forum.

I wonder, how do their own DIY systems even output sound? This is real magic. No basic engineering, only mysticism and black magic. :D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will be surprised to find out how many of the "crazy" believers in component directionality are actually people with sound knowledge in circuits and electronics design :cool:

I doubt that. It is, in what I have seen here for over 10 years, almost always the opposite.
People who know enough of circuit design to design their own circuits never talk about this stuff. It's the ones that do not understand circuit design who often show a need to 'contribute' something and that often comes down to things like the subject of this thread.

It is no shame not to know circuit design - we all started out that way. But anyone can learn, if they want.

As someone earlier noted, a bit of logical thinking can help here: if a part sounds differently depending on orientation, it is distorting (changing the sound) in some way. Therefor, the right solution is to widlarize it (Google that) and buy one that is competently designed and manufactured.

Edit: Another useful time spend is to read up on perception and it's application to hearing. But that may be a bridge too far for an audiophile....

Jan

Last edited:
Both of these resistors types are metal film deposited onto a glass substrate, they are single sided, with metal film on one side only. It's always the back of the glass as you look at it from the written side. So in terms of manufacture they are absolutely, 100% sided.

Of course the resistant element and glass substrate could be oriented in any of four ways at 90 degree intervals. Perhaps they sound better to our Antipodean friends when oriented 180 degrees. ;-)

This thread really should be appended to the snake oil thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.