Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

I have some very minor skipping on cheap CDRs as well after the laser mods, but nothing significant. I was thinking that is was because of the temporary 1nF micas I used on the laser instead of the 100nF that you guys liked more.

I m using a 10nF FT1 in C8
I have tried two 10nF in parallel but I quickly switched back to the one and 10nF

hi Erik,

im using 100nf vishay on laser, 1nf cd silver mica on PIN amp, i left the vref cap alone, 1nf cd silver mica on trimmer.
im enjoying the duelund 0.01 on c8 as well but im itching to try 0.1 in that position. im getting Russian pio 0.1 and 0.01 and see which i like better.

SOLVED...YES SIR...

Since Robert had a simular configuration and working I was convinced that the problem was to be found somewhere else.
After replacing the laser ribbon (used in and out a good 100 times) and checking all the plugwires I found a loose red wire of the C906 connector.....gotchu...
So no matter what value you plugged in that position there was no capacity anymore !!

Fixed it and all works like a charm...one happy camper....

hi Erik,

im using 100nf vishay on laser, 1nf cd silver mica on PIN amp, i left the vref cap alone, 1nf cd silver mica on trimmer.
im enjoying the duelund 0.01 on c8 as well but im itching to try 0.1 in that position. im getting Russian pio 0.1 and 0.01 and see which i like better.

Are you using the expensive Alexander or the over-the-top expensive Duelund.
I am very happy with Duelund in that position.

Are you using the expensive Alexander or the over-the-top expensive Duelund.
I am very happy with Duelund in that position.

I'm using the duelund cast copper.. i love it on C8. the only cap ive testest on C8 was a Russian k40y9 pio 0.01uf and the duelund is way better. I've also tested a russian k75 and teflon ft3 but they were 0.1uf.. to my ears, 0.01uf sounded better than 0.1uf whether it was the k40y9 or the duelund. im hoping to get a same cap brand pio of 0.1 and 0.01 just to compare on c8

Last edited:
hi Erik,

i have no problem reading any cd with my modified laser on shiga mk2 with 0.01uf on c8, i haven't tried it with the jvc. hoping this is mechanism dependent.

hi Tibi,
based on your experience, is there a difference is sound quality between using lets say same brand cap 0.01uf vs 0.1uf on c8?

thanks

In this particular position C8, there a difference is sound quality between different values of the same brand.

Regards,
Tibi

I went over the whole board again without finding the error. Flat cable - no errors and connections work. I believe I let go until the replacement arrives.

It does everything right except reporting TOC. Pressing CD-Door - it tries again beatyfully. 00...

Regards

I went over the whole board again without finding the error. Flat cable - no errors and connections work. I believe I let go until the replacement arrives.

It does everything right except reporting TOC. Pressing CD-Door - it tries again beatyfully. 00...

Regards

Please check out the connector of the laser where the ribbon cable in should with a magnifying glass, maybe the pins of that connector is not good.

Regards,
Rudy

Regards

You could measure platter hight...

Do you use the standard ceramique (clock) resonator.
I thought I had such a malfunction if eg. it saw no clock. (Not connected)

Regards

Some idea about this :
- look for some short circuit on both IC LA and LC pins
- try another laser / mechanic

Some idea about this :
- look for some short circuit on both IC LA and LC pins
- try another laser / mechanic

Thanks danzup, will recheck. Yes, another transport is coming from Tibi.
The laser doesn't seem to fire. Do someone know the voltages over the laser transistor pins?

Managed to short my original shiga :(... Nothing works except the LCD and cd-door switch. It instantly shows 00 when pressing it. The motors are dead.

Regards

Last edited:
If motors are dead and disk does not spin, than the problem is not on cd mechanic. You have short in some IC's, or you have other defective/cracked parts durring montage.

Regards,
Tibi

This last part is not about the the MK2, it is the original and is not populated by me but I shorted something last evening. Forget this part...

The first part with laser not lightning up is about the MK2 and is populated by me. Forget the original shiga. I want the MK2 running and the motors on that one works perfectly!

So, what voltages would one expect on Q1? Preferably both standby and activated values. LDD pin62 on LA9242M, is it a fixed voltage when active or is it a signal of some shape?

Regards