Sexiest woofer ever? specs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having acrylic as your top plate and backplate wont do you any good... You might as well have an acrylic magnet and voice coil as well!

Everything acrylic except spider, surround, voicecoil, former, and motor(back plate top plate magnet and pole) might be cool though.

CBFryman said:

the last is nick named the "uberwoofer", it is mostly made in 12's and is hard to ocme by, Xmax is huge and thoes things move like none other with only 600w...and its thermal is massive.

Not sure what the real name for it is but there are several subs using that basket/triple stack combo. 10, 12, and 15's have been available so far and 18's to come from what I understand. I think the first two companies to utilize that basket/look were the Eclispe Titanium series and the Stryke (now AE) HE15 although I don't know really which came first. John at AE is currently working on the new HE series drivers so watch out.

89_1_b.JPG

I think some of the sexiest woofers made are the Seas beauties pic'd below, this is of course looking at the front side. Looking from behind, the new Aura subs get my vote I think.

W26FX-001.jpg

Noidster

killerfishes said:
the sexiest sub,
A) JL's W7 the 12 and 13 i find to slow for any thing over 65hz but the 8 - 10 are well worth the money. the invisable mounting and its no odd shape/color/texture cone gives it a nice clean look.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the 8" is awesome it blends seamless with my focals in my truck, lower octaves "just in sub range" of Franz Hungarian #2 are clean with good primary and harmonic recreation, and the drums of the first movement of Beethoven's 9th are sharp with good kick and texture you can hear that it was recorded in a hall, and can still thump rap "don't ask, please;)" I have yet to try one in home.

B) the K series Focal.

Killerfishes killer looking sub.. but lots of $$$ What kinda truck you have ?

CBFryman said:
the uberwoofer is made by some european company, jsut because it has the same basket and triple stakced mags doesnt mean it is the same woofer :whazzat:

I am well aware of this fact my friend, I have been playing around with and following the car/home subwoofer world for about 20 yrs both on a professional basis and at the hobby level.

Actually, the pic you show is the 'net-famed "uberwoofer" which was made by TC Sounds (confirmed by Chad at TC), who also made the Eclipse I mentioned earlier, and where John at Stryke sourced his parts from for the HE15 drivers.

As for any other "uberwoofer" that was made by some European company, I think you are referring to Entasi Audio, who was simply a couple/group of guys who thought they could start a business having subs built for them but then realized they hadn't the time nor means of doing so. Their "uberwoofer" has a rather limited X-max for that matter when it comes to the "X-monsters" category...24mm...nothing special really. And it is more like the first picture in your earlier post, nothing close to the TC drivers.

If I am mistaken, and you know of some company making monster subwoofers called "uberwoofers" that I am not aware of, please by all means fill me in, I love new finds in this hobby man, it keeps the old blood pumping.

The first is the Notorious SI Magnum MK II, not out for production just yet, only a few prototypes exist, it is XBL^2 as for hte huge back plate, i dont know why it is that big but it is a chrome attention getter...it is made by stereo integrity

According to the guys at SI, they are "certaily not" XBL2 drivers.

The 2nd is an RE audio MT, pure SPL (as you can see form no poole vent) and little or no specs exist on it and

The thing with the MT is that it can be had in so many different custom voice coil configs, they don't publish a single set of specs. The specs do exist, you just need to contact RE with your request concering your particular voice coil preferences. Truely a beast indeed!!!

I am sorry if it seems I am coming off like d*ck here, I sometimes do. But I just hate to misinformation spread so easily, it isn't good for us, the consumer or them, the manufacturer. I am not blaming you. or anyone in particular by any means, hell you are probably just repeating what you read on here somewhere or heard in the local car audio circle. Hopefully I haven't stepped on your toes here man, just tryin' to help convey the correct info is all, and maybe help out someone who is "lurking" about and trying to make a buying decision.

Noidster

jleaman said:

Killerfishes killer looking sub.. but lots of $$$ What kinda truck you have ?

Dakota regular cab. It was an easy buy when you have no room to work with, want somthing with good responce and high spl. I rta at +1-3Db from 100Hz to 32hz @ 90db and +2-3 from 93hz to 30hz at 130db with the mic 3 inch off the head rest. why get cheap on the sub when it is so importent for 90% of all music.

theNoid said:

I am well aware of this fact my friend, I have been playing around with and following the car/home subwoofer world for about 20 yrs both on a professional basis and at the hobby level.

Actually, the pic you show is the 'net-famed "uberwoofer" which was made by TC Sounds (confirmed by Chad at TC), who also made the Eclipse I mentioned earlier, and where John at Stryke sourced his parts from for the HE15 drivers.

As for any other "uberwoofer" that was made by some European company, I think you are referring to Entasi Audio, who was simply a couple/group of guys who thought they could start a business having subs built for them but then realized they hadn't the time nor means of doing so. Their "uberwoofer" has a rather limited X-max for that matter when it comes to the "X-monsters" category...24mm...nothing special really. And it is more like the first picture in your earlier post, nothing close to the TC drivers.

If I am mistaken, and you know of some company making monster subwoofers called "uberwoofers" that I am not aware of, please by all means fill me in, I love new finds in this hobby man, it keeps the old blood pumping.

According to the guys at SI, they are "certaily not" XBL2 drivers.

The thing with the MT is that it can be had in so many different custom voice coil configs, they don't publish a single set of specs. The specs do exist, you just need to contact RE with your request concering your particular voice coil preferences. Truely a beast indeed!!!

I am sorry if it seems I am coming off like d*ck here, I sometimes do. But I just hate to misinformation spread so easily, it isn't good for us, the consumer or them, the manufacturer. I am not blaming you. or anyone in particular by any means, hell you are probably just repeating what you read on here somewhere or heard in the local car audio circle. Hopefully I haven't stepped on your toes here man, just tryin' to help convey the correct info is all, and maybe help out someone who is "lurking" about and trying to make a buying decision.

Noidster

Not comming off as a dick at all, i wasnt aware the new SI magnums wernt XBL, the magnet just looks as if it is and there are a lot of people saying it is.
Esanti Audio is the one i was thinking of, does it realy only have 24mm Xmax? from the vids ive seen it looks like it moves a lot more than that.

Variac said:
Thanks for the link Chris. I notice that t hey have zero in stock and it takes 100 days to get one.... They sure would look good with the magnets exposed on top of a 2 cu ft box...

Variac,

The 12" and 10" are in stock.... Just don't buy up all 17 of the 12's or I won'ty have any left for me ;)

12:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=55-1710&N=4

10:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=55-1715&N=4

Specs on these drivers, from an e-mail I sent to Tech support :

Item# 55-1705 DWO WOOFER 15" PRO POLY PA

Size 15.000 IN RMS Watts 250
Mount Length Peak Watts 500
Mount Width 15.800 IN Frequency Rsp 20-3K
Mount Depth 6.800 IN Imp/Ohm 8.00
Cutout Diam 14.000 IN SPL (db) 93.00
Free Air 24.00 HZ

Magnet Weight 96.000 / OZ QES .908
Magnet Diameter 70.000 / MM QMS 5.680
Voice Coil Diam 3.000 / IN QTS .690
VAS 16.900 CF
Cone Material PR POLY RESIN RE 6.700 OH
Surround Material BR BUTYL RUBBER XMAX 3.000 MM
Item# 55-1710 WOOFER 12" PRO POLY PAPER

Size 12.000 IN RMS Watts 200
Mount Length Peak Watts 400
Mount Width 12.200 IN Frequency Rsp 20-5K
Mount Depth 5.510 IN Imp/Ohm 8.00
Cutout Diam 11.140 IN SPL (db) 92.00
Free Air 25.00 HZ

Magnet Weight 65.000 / OZ QES .417
Magnet Diameter 60.000 / MM QMS 7.350
Voice Coil Diam 2.000 / IN QTS .560
VAS 8.400 CF
Cone Material PR POLY RESIN RE 7.000 OH
Surround Material BR BUTYL RUBBER XMAX 2.250 MM
Item# 55-1715 WOOFER 10" PRO POLY PAPER

Size 10.000 IN RMS Watts 200
Mount Length Peak Watts 400
Mount Width 10.310 IN Frequency Rsp 20-4K
Mount Depth 5.110 IN Imp/Ohm 8.00
Cutout Diam 9.130 IN SPL (db) 91.00
Free Air 30.00 HZ

Magnet Weight 65.000 / OZ QES .516
Magnet Diameter 50.500 / MM QMS 2.120
Voice Coil Diam 2.000 / IN QTS .420
VAS 5.430 CF
Cone Material PR POLY RESIN RE 5.800 OH
Surround Material BR BUTYL RUBBER XMAX 1.100 MM

--Chris

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think he is talking about the MCM drivers that started this thread and have the specs above.

These drivers ARE somewhat like pro drivers, with 93 dB efficiency (at what?) and 3mm x-max for the 15" -less of both for the 12 & 10.

So it is a good idea to get 2, because they have less excursion, but often low excursion drivers have less distortion, so that can be a good thing. Two subs is also good because they can be placed around the room and often resonances average out.

Looks to me that a pair of 15" is the way to go!
Also, since they claim to have a really wide range, DIY Newbie might be on to something when he suggests open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.