Sexiest woofer ever? specs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jleaman said:
I think that this thread has turned from sexiest woofer to..

Longest throw driver with most power
or biggest

And they are all the kinds of guys that like overlarge mammalian protruberances as well :)

I know every time i open a box and find something like these in them i get a rush... unfortunately no pairs yet.

dave

Attachments

• 3-alnico-woofers.jpg
    3-alnico-woofers.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,477
The enclosure should probably count most in this "sexiest" woofer ever buisness if you ask me. Most of the time you only get to see half of the driver anyhow, and even then its typically not the good side (the backside of course). Add a cloth grill and you cant see it at all!

Personally I think poly-mica cones are pretty sexy on subwoofers. Put a light behind them and the cone glows when its dark!

I have caught wind of some of the details of the new AE Speakers HE15 woofer. How does 43mm Xmax, 50mm Xsus on a 15", an 18", and possibly even a 12" grab you? The cone may be aluminum, or it may be some woven composite. No word on power yet, though. It tries to straddle the Home Theater, Hi-Fi and insanely-high-end car audio markets, so power may be in the neighborhood of 1500 watts but that's just a wild guess. Also a new proprietary linear motor technique, so it still sounds good at high excursions.

Having conversed with John on the subject, all the signs I have recieved say that the Lambda series (or at the very least the motor technology) isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lambda drivers are available from AE Speakers even now, though phone ordering is needed. As time goes on, I would say it's a sure bet that we'll see Lambda-series motor technology rolled into the other driver offerings of AE Speakers, as well as a special top-secret linear BL motor technology that will make its first appearance on the HE15 later this year or early next year, depending on how things go with the AV series rollout. The HE15 and HE18 will be some seriously lusty woofers, if the information on his forum is any indication. Expect them to be a visual knockout as well.

The first is the Notorious SI Magnum MK II, not out for production just yet, only a few prototypes exist, it is XBL^2 as for hte huge back plate, i dont know why it is that big but it is a chrome attention getter...it is made by stereo integrity

The 2nd is an RE audio MT, pure SPL (as you can see form no poole vent) and little or no specs exist on it and it had massive thermal handleing, 2 12's of thoes things do mid 150's legal wit ha few 20.1's.

the last is nick named the "uberwoofer", it is mostly made in 12's and is hard to ocme by, Xmax is huge and thoes things move like none other with only 600w...and its thermal is massive.

the sexiest sub,
A) JL's W7 the 12 and 13 i find to slow for any thing over 65hz but the 8 - 10 are well worth the money. the invisable mounting and its no odd shape/color/texture cone gives it a nice clean look.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the 8" is awesome it blends seamless with my focals in my truck, lower octaves "just in sub range" of Franz Hungarian #2 are clean with good primary and harmonic recreation, and the drums of the first movement of Beethoven's 9th are sharp with good kick and texture you can hear that it was recorded in a hall, and can still thump rap "don't ask, please;)" I have yet to try one in home.

B) the K series Focal.

W7 can be mounted magnet out.... you just need a removable panel to mount it to!

It really doesnt matter if you mount the magnet outside the box... but how many times have you seen it done? Not to say that it isnt, because it is... I'm just saying that its a less common thing, and personally the backside is my favorite side of a woofer(to look at anyways).

Someone needs to come out with a subwoofer that has a clear cone that you can look through and see whats inside. Or maybe there already is one and I just havent seen it yet

W7 can be mounted magnet out.... you just need a removable panel to mount it to!
Oh yea, I guess I really wasn't thinking on that one ;).

Someone needs to come out with a subwoofer that has a clear cone that you can look through and see whats inside.
I know Blaupunkt used to makes them. I don't know if they still do. They had clear ones and blue tinted ones. They weren't very good drivers though. I used to own a Phoenix Gold Octane-R subwoofer that had a blue led behind the dust cap that looked pretty cool as well (for the bling bling in the car). The leads for the led came out of the pole vent, and had a proper resistor in there so you just needed to slap 12V on it.

actually an all plexi enclosre with a clear cone would be cook, or CF cone with acrylic dust cap so you could see inside the coil former :devilr:
or how about a driver that with an acrylic cone, coil former, top plate, and back plate....that would be cool, though thermal would be reduced and you may even end up melting the acrylic...:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.