SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyway, I let the magic smoke out of the resistor in the psu and the source resistors :dead: On this channel:

Attachments

• inside_l.jpg
    inside_l.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,902
Now I got rewarded for making a easy serviceable layout, replaced the R in the psu, unhooked the pcb and replaced the source resistors on the current source (5x1R5 0,6W in paralell = 0R3 3W) 15min later, I was up and running again :D Other channel with psu:

Attachments

• inside_r+psu.jpg
    inside_r+psu.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2,860
lineup said:

beautiful work, Mad_K :)
Inside Mad_K SEWA amp

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I am think of buying me a Nikon Coolpix digital camera.

how did you take those photos?
what lighting did you use?
what is your camera?

Thanks, lineup ;)

I took the photos with my ancient canon powershot A10 1,3Mpx crappy old thing. There are cellphones with better cameras these days. No special lighting, just daylight. If I could afford it I would buy a canon EOS350D and a tripod.:)

As long as you can cool amplifier,
and have a stronger power supply
EVERYTHING will be BETTER.

with higher voltage transistor have more 'workspace' and wont 'clip' because of reaching max voltage
you will have margins
transistor will work more linear = a bit lower distortion

it is a fact that an amplifier can not produce any power
that is,
a '10 Watt amplifier' can not deliver anything
unless it has a supply of power connected

all the power comes from POWER SUPPLY
so, amp will never be stonger than power supply
it will always be a little weaker than power supply
( because a bit of power is lost in amp )

Bottomline:

An amplifier is never better than its power supply.

:cool: :cool:

It will have more outputpower in 8 ohms, but will be current limited with a 4 ohm speaker with the same bias current. With 2A bias, you will be limited to 8W with a 4 ohm speaker. You can build it, then crank up the bias later if your heatsinks are up to it ;) I wouldn't go much above 3A though (R12-16=1 ohm) as the dissipation from the mosfet will be hard to handle (45W each). ;)

Bass control

Hi there,

I would like to build this amp in these days.
(Acturately, I had built PF99 and obtained very good result on mid-high range of sound)

I have two TR with sec 0-30V, so the regulated voltage will be 42V.
But I will limit the bias current < 3A.
How does this configuration sounds? Any comment??
Furthermore, how about the BASS control of SEWA Rev.1 ?

I'm also thinking of adding voltage regulators for input bias, or for the CCS (between R5/R6), does this helps?

(Sorry, a lot of questions)
And, to save energy, the inductors maybe used to replace the CCS...

The bass is very good, considering that it is a single ended, no feedback design. 42V and 3A is dangerously close to the limitations of the fet's :hot: Unless you've got HUGE heatsinks or watercooling I would consider a LC (+LC) or a regulated supply to get the rails somewhere around 30V with 3A bias. I don't think you will gain much with IC regs in this circuit. If you go the inductor CCS route you're on your own ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.