Series Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm all for minimalist and discourage DIY'rs from using inferior drivers that force them to cobble up notches, zobels and other contrivances that inevitably take away something from the purity of the sound. (...)

well, the mentioned Seas W15CY is not particularly "inferior" (truth to be said, it shows some of the lowest distortion figures you can find in this kind of driver).

about the Fountek driver, so far it was a very neat surprise!

Speakerdoctor,

Does Google work on your machine?

Try a search on Acoustic Reality and the first item in my search was:

Welcome - Acoustic Reality - Designed and built in Denmark

which is the current web site for Acoustic Reality. Some of the series crossover info is still there under 'Free 4 all' .

Jim

Thanks Jim for the NEW URL. Did you try the link at post #3? That worked at one time. It's the one I've been clicking on recently. It looks like they changed their URL address. Don't understand why they didn't put a forwarding address at their old site address like most folks do. :confused:

ok, im ready to try this out.

i will use SB Acoustic SB17RNX and SB29RDC in 2 way bookshelf, i will use the standard no-cap AR XO for the first try, let see how it goes.

im hoping others with experience can give some advice on this, as im completely newbie on passive xo :D

cheers
henry

ok, im ready to try this out.

i will use SB Acoustic SB17RNX and SB29RDC in 2 way bookshelf, i will use the standard no-cap AR XO for the first try, let see how it goes.

im hoping others with experience can give some advice on this, as im completely newbie on passive xo :D

cheers
henry

Do you have any acoustic measurement equipment? If so, I strongly suggest you install the drivers in your cabinet and run their connecting wires out of the cabinet so you can bread board the series crossover outside of the box until you are satisfied you have found the right combination of values. As has been shown, the series XO is relatively simple in its construction, but finding just the ring values for the components is where trial and error will be needed and all of the fun of the hobby really lies. Start with the nominal values and have some extras on had that go above and below those values. Take lots of on and off axis measurement and listen a lot until you are satisfied you have found the best combination and only then install the xover into the box.

sb17 & sb29 w/ series xo

well i just finished the sb acoustic 2 way w/ series xo. playing for 20mins now, i must say these are very very good drivers. i hear no harshness from the suspected large cone breakup.

i m using L1 0.15mh 14awg, series R 3.3 and 4.7 MOX 10w, and L2 1.0mh 14awg.

its tad on a bright side, tried placed it nearer to the wall, bass improve abit, doesnt effect midrange much. i either need to attenuate the tweeter or put bigger R1.

cheers
henry

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 375
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 361
I'm trying right now this AR XO, after looking the web for some info and doing some simulations on Lspcad, I have it playing in my XT25BG60 + SS8545 monitors. Sounds great so far, two coils (0.1 & 1.3) and one resistor (8.2ohm). I was thinking about trying the SS 9500 tweeter instead but I'm not sure it will be worth.

Here's the measurements in my less than anechoic small room:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fr.jpg
    fr.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 478
I'm trying right now this AR XO, after looking the web for some info and doing some simulations on Lspcad, I have it playing in my XT25BG60 + SS8545 monitors. Sounds great so far, two coils (0.1 & 1.3) and one resistor (8.2ohm). I was thinking about trying the SS 9500 tweeter instead but I'm not sure it will be worth.

Your measurements look much like mine. However, the purists who see them may poo poo that minor dip at 2 kHz.

bump.
I am holding the flag for the series crossover fans. What happened to Rabittz and Andy G ?

Andy is busy with school and doesn't really have space to build at the moment. He drops in at PETT from time to time.

Rabbitz from what I hear is no longer active in speaker building, but he does still post now and then.

I like series xovers now and then myself, as they are just a different way of doing things. It's another challenge.

Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.