SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to say this but even on the youtube audio (the first one) one could clearly hear the tubes have more clear sound, the other solid state devises sound crispy, distorted and dirty, that Fender sounds like a very bad ss guitar amp. Sorry to say this but this is how I hear it and I`ve been playing guitar on many amps :(

I concur. It sounded quite bad actually.

The Fender Twin Reverb output stage is fixed bias with grounded cathodes. The output transformer has only a 4 Ohm tap although aftermarket transformers with multiple taps are available.

Does the device use the bias Voltage supplied by the amp, or simply capacitor couple the grid and derive it's own bias?

Is the bias adjustable? It is popular these days to bias the output tubes in guitar amps at about 70% of the rated (30W in a 6L6GC) plate dissipation. This is higher than needed to eliminate crossover distortion, but guitar players like the sound.

Does the device draw input current when the grid Voltage approaches zero Volts as a tube would?

Does the device draw any current on the screen node.

The device works like a tube. That means it has four terminals (cathode, plate, control grid, and screen grid) and uses the bias provided by the amp exactly the same as the 6L6 it replaces. The device seen in the video was constructed to match the specific 6L6 it replaced so that the bias of the amp did not have to be changed. In practice, installation with a new tube set based on this product would invite amp bias adjustment the same as is commonly done with vacuum tubes. Such services are often provided by amp techs.

The device replicates the output curves of the tubes it replaces, which is why it sounds the same. This includes the saturated mode (pentode) and the triode mode when the screen grid is biased appropriately. In other words, the amplifier sees a tube in the socket at all terminals and at all biases (including zero control grid bias).

The Fender Twin Reverb output stage is fixed bias with grounded cathodes. The output transformer has only a 4 Ohm tap although aftermarket transformers with multiple taps are available.

Does the device use the bias Voltage supplied by the amp, or simply capacitor couple the grid and derive it's own bias?

Is the bias adjustable? It is popular these days to bias the output tubes in guitar amps at about 70% of the rated (30W in a 6L6GC) plate dissipation. This is higher than needed to eliminate crossover distortion, but guitar players like the sound.

Does the device draw input current when the grid Voltage approaches zero Volts as a tube would?

Does the device draw any current on the screen node.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if it smells as rock'n'roll , then it's dead as rock'n'roll

I'm not expecting to hear anything from saturated yootoobe vid , especially if I saw volume adjusting from zero to something in second part of video

combine that with two empty sockets - it's pretty obvious that vid is of informative character , not scientific test ....... which Mr. MM is certainly more than qualified to conduct

:clown:

Thanks for the suggestion. We have considered the preamp market and understand it's continuing importance. One of the unique features of our product is that it will be a pentode or a triode when it should be, even dynamically in the amp. That nifty feature is, if you think about it, essential for a socket replacement of the many varities of tubes out there. In article three, I'll talk about that feature because it is really vital if we are going to transcend being a poor copy of some aspect of a tube to become a tube (from the amp's perspective) because it works like a tube.

I say all that to offer the promise that if the product needs to be a twin triode, it can be. I noticed the following statement on the 12AX7 Wikipedia page:

"As of 2012 the 12AX7 was made in various versions...for a total annual production estimated at two million units. The vast majority are used in new-production guitar amplifiers or for replacements in guitar and audio equipment."

You know you're important when you've got your own Wikipedia page. :D

I'd love to also see solid state substitutes for 12AX7 which is common in older test equipment; e.g the front end of my oscilloscope, and 12AU6. A peculiar property of tubes is a low susceptibility to performance degradation/damage by high energy radiation.

At what voltages would the "tube" operate? I would like to try to build a tube amp but have been scared away by the dangerously high voltages. If the tubes could be run on low voltage without being starved then they would be very interesting!

Last edited:
just a couple of observations about the questionnaire, not being picky but.......

I wanted to tick 2 boxes on question 5. I think this has been mentioned already, but I imagine it's not important in the great scheme of things.

After the insertion of the SS unit the sound seemed a little overdriven. Probably my ears, and he did fiddle with the controls after the change.....and it's impossible to judge an audio product from a utube clip anyway......

another observation, certainly not a criticism...a lot of my use has been with 2A3 and KT88s...using these as an example, there are vast difference between makes of these tubes amd people seem to home in on their favourites, how would you go about targetting such a valve, i.e which one would you mimic?

another observation, certainly not a criticism...a lot of my use has been with 2A3 and KT88s...using these as an example, there are vast difference between makes of these tubes amd people seem to home in on their favourites, how would you go about targetting such a valve, i.e which one would you mimic?
Wouldn't you aim to linearise the device as much as possible rather than trying to tailor the response?

Thanks for the feedback about the questions.

Our technical goal is for the tube replacement product to be a tube number replacement, NOT a generic replacement. So we are working on creating tube replacements for the tube numbers that folks want, i.e., developing "favorites" for folks, as we see that is the main market right now. We are open minded about all of this, but that's our thinking.

We do so by paying attention to the output curves of the specific devices, along with many of the other features on the published datasheets that cannot be neglected to make it plug and play, such as power dissipation and terminal capacitance.

just a couple of observations about the questionnaire, not being picky but.......

I wanted to tick 2 boxes on question 5. I think this has been mentioned already, but I imagine it's not important in the great scheme of things.

After the insertion of the SS unit the sound seemed a little overdriven. Probably my ears, and he did fiddle with the controls after the change.....and it's impossible to judge an audio product from a utube clip anyway......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.