SemiSouth boiler room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for leading the pack, Zen! I understand your feeeeelings about the matter. Toobz are a hard act to follow.

Last semester I overheard one of my students in my electronics class complaining about wanting a tooby amp, but for cost reasons was sticking with solid state. I'm just trying to help. :D

Mr. MM , I'm glad to participate

;)

though .... I'm too old to replace toobz with anything

:clown:

I'm sorry for the trouble with that particular feature of the survey. I had trouble with it too when we were first testing it and so we tried to write better directions, but it still appears tricky. Thanks for your patience and your participation.

Mike

Hmmm... Had the same problem I though, solved as explained. Oh well, Jan, I do not intend to use this device anyway, so let's move on.

I understand completely. After all, this is the Pass Labs sub-forum, and First Watt Amps don't need tubes.

But the team of folks behind the survey really appreciate your participation and your opinion. Thanks!

But do not misunderstand me, I like your device. Had I been into guitar amplifiers or vacuum things, I would probably had been very interested. Good idea!

I understand completely. After all, this is the Pass Labs sub-forum, and First Watt Amps don't need tubes.

But the team of folks behind the survey really appreciate your participation and your opinion. Thanks!

Sorry to say this but even on the youtube audio (the first one) one could clearly hear the tubes have more clear sound, the other solid state devises sound crispy, distorted and dirty, that Fender sounds like a very bad ss guitar amp. Sorry to say this but this is how I hear it and I`ve been playing guitar on many amps :(

Again, we thank everyone for participating and giving us their impressions. I will say that the videos were not intended to render an audio comparison, as the recording equipment (an Apple iPhone) is not up to the task. The videos were intended to show the functionality and ease of use of the product, which was demonstrated to be a socket replacement for an electronic vacuum tube.

In the course of development, we have had professionals play the amp, with many positive comments about the sound. In those cases, the tube replacement product was the sole power gain device (i.e., no tubes in the power amp at all).

After the survey results are analyzed, additional information about technical performance and operating principle will be released. That hopefully will give folks more complete information with which to consider the performance of the devices. For now, thanks again for your participation.

Sorry to say this but even on the youtube audio (the first one) one could clearly hear the tubes have more clear sound, the other solid state devises sound crispy, distorted and dirty, that Fender sounds like a very bad ss guitar amp. Sorry to say this but this is how I hear it and I`ve been playing guitar on many amps :(

Smart cookie you are. :)

Article three is still to come and will discuss, in the context of negative feedback, some of the operating principles of this new device. The point being that "it works like a tube" is technically demonstrable. If it works like a tube, it can sound like one too.

Hello Dr. Mazzola. It is a pleasure to hear about your innovation. My guess it is a circuit which embodies a depletion semiconductor like a high voltage SIT. It follows that a Method of Use patent application is possible.

Best regards.

I hope the negative results you get from your poll will be taken with a grain of salt. My tube use is in clean and spacious preamp applications, so a distorted guitar amp is not of interest. Part of the tube experience is glowing glass bottles, which seem cool and anachronistic. If I want solid state, I'll build solid state. The worlds coolest semiconductors would be of far more interest to me. Thanks. -marsupialx

Thanks for your comments, especially about your preference for tubes in preamps, which we respect and are not pursuing right now. One aspect of working with the Fender '65 Twin is it is known for its clean crisp sound. Our professional players have advised us on details of the expected dynamic range. It's really cool to work with these folks who are amazing in their ability to articulate what they are looking for. And I agree there is a mystique about tubes glowing in the dark. But, we hear plenty positive. When people play it, they are blown away.

I hope the negative results you get from your poll will be taken with a grain of salt. My tube use is in clean and spacious preamp applications, so a distorted guitar amp is not of interest. Part of the tube experience is glowing glass bottles, which seem cool and anachronistic. If I want solid state, I'll build solid state. The worlds coolest semiconductors would be of far more interest to me. Thanks. -marsupialx

Good question. Disconnecting one of the speakers will change the load as you suggested and allow "matched" operation with two tubes. To be honest, the environment we were in for those videos did not accommodate the full volume capability of this amp. Going with half the tubes was a matter of convenience for the demonstration.

For those not familiar with the design of the power stage of the Fender Twin, it uses two parallel tubes on either end of an output transformer operating in Class AB, for a total of four power output tubes. It works just fine with only one tube on either end of the transformer; but adding the second tube in parallel doubles the output power. Perfect for that favorite Juke Joint. More than many wives can stand in the home.:eek:

Why did the Twin only have two power tubes? Were the tubes matched to a 4K load or mismatched to the normal 2K load?

Hello marsupialx. The device by Dr. Mazzola may well be the description [bold] in your post. It is a solid state device which confers vacuum tube performance.

Maybe the semis in the device can be or are already enclosed in a glass bottle rather than a plastic or a metal enclosure. A blue LED blinked/glowed in it.

Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.