Schematic diagram of Unison Research Unico

Hello everyone,

I am a long time reader first time contributor hoping to rekindle this thread with an issue I am facing.

I own a Unison Research Unico Primo integrated amplifier. I have been running an upgraded Siemens 1960's ECC83 (12AX7) tube with great success [contemplating some of the Underwood Hifi mods but haven't ventured very far down the road yet]. I recently came by some Mullard ECC82 (12AU7) 60's tubes and after *inadequate* research thought that these could be experimented with....

I started the amp and it goes through a 30 second warm up cycle. Near the end of the cycle I heard a 'pop' at about 75 db. Now my sound is very jumbled (unintelligible) and intermittent. I am hoping it is just a blown fuse.

I am hoping to hear back from this group on advice as I work through this. My next step is to compare the tube specifications (will post here) and try to find the potential circuit. From the tube pinout I will try and trace back to the fuses and inspect those. I am somewhat worried that I will not be able to visibly observe the blown fuse.

According to manual there are:
F1, F2, = 1AT/250V
F3, F4 = 1.6AT / 250V
F5, F6 =6.3 AT 250V.

The value for the main fuses is:
6.3 AT / 250 for 100V/120 V main voltage.

Looking forward to hearing back from the group.

Thanks,

Reactions: 1 user

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
12AU7 is NOT a direct replacement for 12AX7 !!

Yes, in "classic" circuits like guitar amps the 'U' can replace the 'X' with a distinct loss of gain.

This Unico Primo is NOT a "classic" tube amplifier. It has transistors to do the heavy work. I do not know how the tubes and transistors interconnect; if a "wrong" tube could damage transistors.

The tubes probably do not "trace back to fuses". Fuses protect against fire; even very sick tubes do not directly start fires.

"Do not open the amplifier !
There are no user serviceable parts inside.
Valve replacement should be carried out using only valves of the same type and matched in pairs.
The Unico Primo uses one valve type ECC83 (12AX7)."

The squematics can be found on HiFi Engine site, the topology of this integrated hibrid design is very good but the construction is horrible, the designer minimun thought that this amplifier will never get damage, removing the amp board out is a mega nightmare, so garbage design that I had to repair it by unsoldering a mosfet and a couple of 1/4 watt resitors by the top side, I think their designer should go to Bryston to learn and improve the build in order for us technitians to dissasemble easier, my goodness.

Attachments

• fullscreen_gallery_image1 (11).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (11).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 102
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (10).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (10).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 89
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (9).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (9).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 81
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (8).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (8).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 88
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (7).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (7).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 83
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (6).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (6).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 96
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (5).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (5).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 95
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (4).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (4).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 116
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (3).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (3).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 115
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (2).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (2).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 113
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1 (1).jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1 (1).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 100
  • fullscreen_gallery_image1.jpg
    fullscreen_gallery_image1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 107
  • UnisonResearchUnicoPrimo-04w.jpg
    UnisonResearchUnicoPrimo-04w.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 173
  • UnisonResearchUnicoPrimo-03w.jpg
    UnisonResearchUnicoPrimo-03w.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 171
  • unison-research-unico-primo-innen.jpg
    unison-research-unico-primo-innen.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 1407872-8d73817a-unison-research-unico-primo-integrated-amplifierbeautiful.jpg
    1407872-8d73817a-unison-research-unico-primo-integrated-amplifierbeautiful.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 116
  • 1407871-5651952f-unison-research-unico-primo-integrated-amplifierbeautiful.jpg
    1407871-5651952f-unison-research-unico-primo-integrated-amplifierbeautiful.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 106
The fault is as follows: The amplifier went into protection. -UP fuse blown. The output transistors are not broken. After installing the fuse, there is no negative half-wave in the left channel, there is practically no signal in the right channel, and when the volume level changes, the DC voltage level changes. After the repair is completed, I will let you know what the problem was.

The fault is as follows: The amplifier went into protection. -UP fuse blown. The output transistors are not broken. After installing the fuse, there is no negative half-wave in the left channel, there is practically no signal in the right channel, and when the volume level changes, the DC voltage level changes. After the repair is completed, I will let you know what the problem was.
Now, did you survive this repair ?