• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Scalable PSU/regulator GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Andrew !

Sorry whats LDO ?... ? Differencial Output...

I glimpsed the super reg. articles part 1,2,3 & the Jan.2000 update of WJung.

It seems to me that the super reg is suitable for low to meddium output voltage and that the discrete reg. is still preferred for higher voltages and parts count.

My objective is to regulate Super Leach frontend in the 95-100VDC range.

Can someone pls advise?

thanks in advance,
roland

LDO = Low Drop Out

You could theoretically use this regulator at 100V rails, the limiting factor becomes what caps can you fit on the board that will withstand the voltage AND provide enough filtering? I've tested it at 65V (thinking hotrod Leach or A75) but have not run it higher.

rolandong said:
Hi Tony,

I was about to try the regulator you've used here.
May I know what's nice about this (Bob/Jens) regulator which is not in pooge's topology ?

thanks,
roland

I can not compare them with the others except to say that i have tested it and it works. the series pass transistors were salvaged fom a sony laserdisk player and is darlington type, i guess other darlington type trannies can be used.:D

if you want to use my circuit, then your transformer better have 2 separate 10 to 15 volts windings.

The last of the orders will ship tomorrow, with the exception of those who have not provided me with some shipping details. Check the email address associated with your paypal account or the one you used to correspond with me. If you haven't received a shipment notice you should have received an explanation of why not.

I received my kits from Bob last week. I have built one according to the +/-15V BOM. This is the 3rd PS I have tried in my pre and I have to say that is head and shoulders above the 2 (317/337 supply and mini reg). The overall improvement to the sound was simply amazing. Such precision in the soundstage now. Such clarity and speed.

A friend is in the process of building some for use with an Orion xover. Can't wait to hear the results.

Well done Bob and Jens! Many thanks.

Hi Bob,

Boards arrived yesterday. Great job and thanks to you both Bob / Jens.

I will be starting to find components to fit on board for PSU reg to end up with approx 58 volts +/- for the front end of my Leach 6 amp.

Have any of the others out there used this regulator for the Leach amp? I would be interested in the results and tribulations if any.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

See my web page for a high voltage BOM and excel spreadsheet for calculating values. You could use the 65 volt BOM and just change the feedback resistors.

I built and tested a single 65volt supply. I haven't had a chance build the negative one or to use it in an amp yet. It started reliably and behaved well with <50 VAC input for 65V out.

Bob

Jens suggested increasing R4 and R19 to 1.2-1.3K. This will increase the "starting voltage" at the reference, at the cost of slightly higher noise on the reference supply.

I haven't had a chance to test to see if it works consistently for the 12V case. I've been rather busy and I haven't had a problem with startup except when I tried using a 14V nominal transformer (15.3V no load) A typical 15V 30-50 VA transformer will show ~16.5-17V off load.

Excessive load capacitance could also cause issues with startup and potential oscillation. Remember that this is a low dropout regulator, and as such is sensitive to low ESR capacitance on the output.

Hi Bob!
Thank You for Your answer.
I build and tested the boards when I got them, and they ofcourse worked fine then. But now I wanted to use them, and I had too low voltage (13,6V RMS). Ofcourse they did not start with load (2x MOX boards).
(But started OK without load.)
I tried to increase R11 to 5K - no start with load.
I tried to put in an 8V zener - no start with load.
So I tried to understand what is the problem??
Is the current from R3 going the "wrong" way through R4 when this problem arise?
I then put a diode (1N4148 I think) in series with R4 (and R19) to prevent the current to go the wrong way, and it seems to do the trick.

Is there any problems with this solution??

Best regards
Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.