• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Scalable PSU/regulator GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re: questions

AndrewT -
The plus and minus ground connection is after the diodes
- I have a 5 pin din female panel mount connector on the
power supply enclosure - the two grounds come together
there, and the plus and minus leads also (only 3 pins
used on the 5 pin connector)

I suspected that using the diodes in this way "might"
be worth a try after I monitored the current one side
at a time with a 25w, 25ohm resister as load (per side).

When only the side being monitored would start, the
current went way up, much higher, I thought than it should.

When both sides were "on" with this sort of load, the
current was slightly over 450ma per side.

and BobEllis - the transformer is a 25va, 15v
from Digikey - TE62063-ND

Voltage at the inputs to the board checked 17.36vac
on each side - output is +/- 12.16 - (what was intended)

(I see that my attachment was not shown - it was just to show
on a blank board where I put the diodes)

jb

Hi Bob,
15Vac for a 12.1Vdc is way over specified and forces the regulator to dissipate far too much heat when mains is running at maximum input voltage.

All because the topology was not properly debugged at the design stage.

It wasted dozens of hours of my time and the only solutions, that I could find, ruined the rejection performance of the regulator. I was forced to give up. And abandon all those PCBs and Vrefs I bought.

But Jb may have stumbled on to a solution.

I too shall go back and look at this option.

AndrewT said:
Hi Bob,
15Vac for a 12.1Vdc is way over specified and forces the regulator to dissipate far too much heat when mains is running at maximum input voltage.

It wasted dozens of hours of my time and the only solutions, that I could find, ruined the rejection performance of the regulator. I was forced to give up. And abandon all those PCBs and Vrefs I bought.

But Jb may have stumbled on to a solution.

I too shall go back and look at this option.

Hmm do you have a more efficient linear regulator up your sleeve ehhh?

This was never intended to be a super duper low noise regulator with 100dB PSU noise rejection...... That would need more PCB space and parts. I tried to incorporate as many options as possible, but making everybody happy is not possible (as usual)

May I suggest (without wanting to offend anyone) that they make up their mind whether or not to participate in a GB, and accept the outcome……. Nobody forced anyone to buy boards, and no one claimed the design to be “a bug free I can configure it any way I want to and still expect it to work with whatever parts I fit on the board” construction.

\Jens

Andrew -

Using 15 VAC for 12VDC output was JB's idea, not my specification. That in and of itself apparently did not guarantee starting in his case. I asked the question to see if maybe running an underrated transformer might have been the culprit.

I apologize for your troubles. The design was fairly thoroughly tested before production at the 15V design point. Jens and I built prototypes and ran them through their paces without noticing an issue with startup into loads exceeding the recommended maximum of 500 mA. (except when the output was shorted :xeye: )

BTW, JB - if the 450 mA you report is input current, that agrees pretty much with PSDesigners' prediction. It reflects the output plus charging current in the filter caps. That's why we recommend less than 500 mA with the stock parts.

The net result is a power supply that works reliably at 15V with the recommended parts. It sounds pretty good, too, IMHO. We could not test every possible output voltage, so we focused on what most people will use. Perhaps I should have tested 12V operation, too.

I know it is frustrating to spend money on something that doesn't meet your expectations. It happens to me too often, too.

You were not alone trying to solve your issues. Jens and I also spent quite a bit of time reflecting on, discussing between ourselves, simulating, trying to reproduce and solve them. Please remember that this is a hobby for us, not a business. I think if you put even a modest hourly rate on the time Jens and I have spent trying to support you, you'd find that it far exceeds the cost of the boards and parts you purchased.

Is your venom truly warranted?

I've constructed a set according to specs, and they're trouble-free.

The other boards Bob sent me, shipped with great care, are meant to do high voltage regulation for Jens's big Leach boards. I'll patiently wait till Bob and Jens invested another couple of dozen hours in that and hand out the stats. You don't think i'll waste dozens of my own hours, do you ?

(besides, i'm a lousy developer. But i'm great in sucking everybody's elses brain, and proud of it ! )

Thanks for the support Jacco.

You'll find a 65 V BOM and spreadsheet for scaling values Here

Incomplete testing disclaimer: I have only built a single 65V positive regulator. It starts reliably into 200 ohms with 50VAC input. I have not built the negative side or had a chance to use it in an actual application. I should get to using it this fall on a Jens 6 output transistor Leach amp.

Andrew. I build two sets of regulators for 15 Volt use and they functioned properly from the get go with any current within the specified range.
Although i was one of the first to find the high frequency ripple it was never an issue for me to reject the boards.
When you do this as a hobby you must be willing to accept minor setbacks,if not buy a ready made PSU so you can complain to the manufacturer when it doesn't perform to your liking.

I am thankfull to Rob and Jens that they are willing to spent their time (and sometimes money) to help a lot of people obtaining a proper PSU at a modest price.

kro5998

AndrewT said:
Hi Bob,

Wait a sec. Let me get this straight... :scratch:

I haven't read about your problems in details, but as I understand you are using the psu board for a different voltage than intended. There are no problems with the boards when they are assembled according to specs.

Besides that, looking at the (huge!) amount of replies you got from Jens and Bob in troubleshooting your particular situation, I feel your comments are completely off and pretty much uncalled for...

Even after your wining about proper debugging, Bob is graciously answering you with 'I apologize' and 'maybe we should have'. Bob, you are one heck of a (polite) guy. Jens and you have made a high quality psu available for everyone for a diy price.

So I have a slightly different view on this... Tough Luck! :irked: If you can't fix your problem I suggest you build the board to specs and thank Jens and Bob for their time (in particular the time devoted to you alone), effort and results! If you want something for your own specs, design it or buy it at retail prices and complain to the manufacturer about debugging.

A few hints towards this direction where already posted, but I thought I'd make it a tad more explicit. Can't help it... I like explicit. ;)

Hi all,
I have seen for a long time I am out on a limb here and I will not try to defend my position.
I feel your comments are completely off and pretty much uncalled for...
I can live with that.

I have learned a lot about regulators and this one in particular as a result of the efforts put in by many to get us here.

I joined this Forum to learn and I will continue to learn.

Good luck in all your projects.

Boards have arrived

The PSU kits are kitted except boards and heat sinks (due to arrive today) I will start packing orders and expect to start shipping by Friday.

I suffered a hard drive crash yesterday. I'm glad PayPal will give me packing lists, since my backups were corrupted. All PayPal orders are fine.

If you did NOT with PayPal, please drop me a note telling me what you ordered

I think I have the few who sent checks, but I want to be sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.