SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 (8" Fullrange Cheap Monster II)

Thought I'd give these drivers a go in an open baffle arrangement to see if I like the open baffle experience (never tried it before).

I'm really enjoying these things! I could add a small sub a be pretty happy for a while. Even without a sub they are fine for some genres. I am finding that they don't need to be too far from the wall, 70cm from baffle to wall is great. Highly recommended as a cheap experiment! Give them a go!

P.S. don't toe them in. The off axis response is flatter. Straight out is best IMO...

Last edited:
Thought I'd give these drivers a go in an open baffle arrangement to see if I like the open baffle experience (never tried it before). Other than very little bass (as expected) they sound pretty good! I might try some kind of baffle step compensation or inductor in series to see if I can increase the bass output slightly. The baffle size is 50x70cm with the driver centres 20cm from the top edge. Any thoughts on a good starting point?

Will definitely be trying a "proper" open baffle design next with some 15" woofers.

View attachment 1252594
How deep is the extension with these baffles?
Do they hit 100hz?

I suspect there is some 100hz information but I don't trust my ears when it comes to measuring frequency response. I find them enjoyable with easy listening vocals and simple music that isn't too bass heavy to begin with. If bass is your concern, I would not recommend them on their own. The bass is very thin with EDM or hard rock beats for example. Present but thin. Deep male vocals sound great though. They also play loud!

As a way of experiencing the spacious presentation of an open baffle speaker without spending more than $200AUD for a pair they are great. I could add a sub and be pretty content for a while with my half deaf ears.

Btw, in the event you try to build them, you will see in the attached photo I have a 45 degree brace at the bottom. I am not sure if/how this might be impacting the sound but it's all coming together in a way I like. Though I will add the caveat that after 20 years of being into audio I can appreciate imperfect things for what they are! These are by no means perfect at the frequency extremes.

Let me know if you want to build a clone and I can post the exact dimensions.

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_030300257.jpg
    PXL_20231230_030300257.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 139
Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t expect anything too deep out of them. I was just wondering if they’d go low enough to cross directly to a subwoofer.
They look great and for the sake of a bit of left over lumber, probably worth having a play with. I’ve got nothing else that could go in an OB and reach low enough to cross with a subwoofer as a proof of concept.

I suspect they would, if you actually tried to optimise the baffle size or add some wings, etc. I just built a baffle that had visually appealing dimensions, It's not optimised at all. Below is the response that edge predicts for this baffle size. 100Hz is about 5db down.

The baffle gain is pretty extreme but it's in the vocal region so I find it quite satisfying.

You can flatten the response dramatically by offsetting the driver of course.

1703909524186.png
1703909607723.png

I was just wondering if they’d go low enough to cross directly to a subwoofer.
They would, but it is stretching it quite a bit.
Their Fs is low indeed, but their Qts is also low so not perfect for OB.
Instead of Edge try to simulate them in Basta, Edge's cousin.
You'll see immediately what's happening.
I run my SB20s with 15" woofers crossed at around 250 - 300 Hz, wish I could go lower but it stresses them too much and affects the mids and the highs.
BTW, that low it is beneficial to use a Series XO, integrates much better than a parallel one.

These drivers will make a perfect 1.5way speaker with their corresponding SB20 woofer in an aperiodic box, again simulated in Basta and looks great.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect there is some 100hz information but I don't trust my ears when it comes to measuring frequency response. I find them enjoyable with easy listening vocals and simple music that isn't too bass heavy to begin with. If bass is your concern, I would not recommend them on their own. The bass is very thin with EDM or hard rock beats for example. Present but thin. Deep male vocals sound great though. They also play loud!

As a way of experiencing the spacious presentation of an open baffle speaker without spending more than $200AUD for a pair they are great. I could add a sub and be pretty content for a while with my half deaf ears.

Btw, in the event you try to build them, you will see in the attached photo I have a 45 degree brace at the bottom. I am not sure if/how this might be impacting the sound but it's all coming together in a way I like. Though I will add the caveat that after 20 years of being into audio I can appreciate imperfect things for what they are! These are by no means perfect at the frequency extremes.

Let me know if you want to build a clone and I can post the exact dimensions.
try to add some ohm in series this move up the Qts by Qes ,as example single ended tube can add 30% more

Hi

How are the low mids, mids and highs on this SB20FRPC30-8 ?

I’m debating between that SB or the smaller TB W5-2143…

This will be used on top of an H frame Open Baffle w the usual Alpha 15-A and mini DSP with a High pass around 250Hz.

If you have any insight please share.

Thanks and happy New Year 🥳
Eric

I'm using minidsp with some eq and my very rough semi sealed enclosures leave a lot to be desired but so far I'm finding the sound quite detailed. I was using a small yamaha fullrange in a mostly sealed box before hand and the SBs have far better resolution.

I'm still at the very early tinkering stages but they seem good value to me. certainly better than some el cheapos I've used in the past. With the small bit of eq I've used I'd say they're quite natural.

FYI I prefer the larger presentation of an 8" over a smaller driver in OB too, even with the 15" below it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m debating between that SB or the smaller TB W5-2143…
Both will start beaming quite early.
The TB drivers usually do, expect starting around 8kHz.
The SB should also beam around that.
Also, most TB drivers are not as flat as you might think looking at their graph. They often need a notch or two to sound good. Easy enough if you are active like miniDSP, but more involved if you are going passive.