SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 (8" Fullrange Cheap Monster II)

I run my sb20 open baffle, crossed at around 250 Hz, with a 15" woofer below, as I wanted to use all the SPL that the sb20 provides.
1st order series xo.

Of course your approach is absolutely valid, but expect to need to lower the output above Baffle step considerably, hence reducing the overall SPL.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know the T/S specs for the drivers that those were designed for? if the SB20FRPC30 isn’t a close match then I’d model it before putting all the effort into them.

If you can give me detailed dimensions of each, I can do a quick model for you. I just use the Leonard Audio TL modeler.

And yes, you’ll need some baffle step comp at a minimum imo.

Attachments

• VTP.png
    VTP.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
Victoran, I modeled the standard enclosure for you based on the dimensions provided. I didn't round the corners since I don't have any way to do that, so the enclosure is larger than indicated at about 86L. I'm not an expert on TL's, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think the terminus is too large, tuning the enclosure to over 50Hz assuming 3/4" material. You could replace the square opening with a port equivalent to a 3" port, 2.5" long for OK results with an f3 around 36Hz, max SPL about 106db and vent velocity under 15 m/sec. I lightly stuffed the line in the first 1/3 or so for all iterations. Here is what I got, the first one is as designed, the second one with a port a few inches from the end (exiting front) and the third one with the port at roughly 8" from the end (exiting rear). I'm sure it could be further optimized by someone that actually knows what they're doing, LOL! Hope that helps.

Fyi, if you moved the terminus to the rear, it would help eliminate any unwanted port noise at the listening pos.
As Designed.gif With 3in Port.gif Simi Optimized.gif

Anyone tried the SB20FRPC30 as a midwoofer, with a dedicated tweeter?
I haven’t, but I did model it like that with the inexpensive Scanspeak H2606/9200 and it looked very nice on paper at least. Better than run as a full range. You’ll probably want to use a waveguide of some kind to do it right.

I use it in a 1.5 way with the little Dayton AMT mini 8 up-firing and rolled off at 9k second order and only a notch on the SB20FRPC30. I had them in a drawer and it all works even better than I really expected. I’ve tried full ranges and super tweeters in the past and never been that happy with the results, but this is a very different experience from those imo.

Freedom666 -thank you -never to much bass but to bigger for my room.
Satx -thank you for making those simulations .
My VTP with BG20 it is calculated for 45hz and it has a good bass for a cheap full range- I know this because it work.
Maybe it work well with SB20FRPC30 too.
DDVP-20 sounds very good on youtube and remains a temptation.
For my age and my skill it must remain simple.

I am fascinated by the driver. I break-in it +-5mm 20hz for two hours. measured the T/S parameters and they are literally the same, both break-in and stock driver. Fs didn't move. The impedance is literally the same on both drivers throughout the entire frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No offense, I hope,Sorry if you don't like my opinion .
I guess it is a lot of work to make a video .
Some information provided are very important .
I really appreciate this .

When I watch a piece of music on YouTube and the speaker membrane does not move , not at all or to the rhythm of the music...
Then I happily listen to the music, but I don't know for sure which speakers it was played with .