Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Thanks guys! My impression is that this unit is simply brilliant.

It adds no distortion or coloration but does help a bit with dynamics. Where I find it helps the most in my system is with vinyl replay, I was not using it for a couple of weeks there because of a low hum issue but I really missed it when playing my lp's.

The DACT pot is quite noticeably clearer than the carbon Tocos pot I was using in my separate passive pre-amp for control at first.

The unit is very quiet indeed now and takes pride of place on my rack, cheers :drink:

another attempt for chassis layout with base plate 5mm thick, put additional insulator between mur820 heatsink to avoid smoke. I'm waiting 2x15V as suggested by Salas instead of my existing 2x12V :drink:

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 293
That's impressive heat sinking you have there gadut, how much power are you going to put through it?

I wondered if my 2x12v rated transformer would provide enough voltage but at 200mA I still get nearly 14v from it so it's not an issue. I tested it with a dummy load and had to draw around 2A before it's output dropped to 12v.

I'm expecting 600mA with dale 2r7 6W ccs resistor. It's talema 2x12V 160va that I have now, I'll try to check output voltage next week -I got 1 week holiday :D

I'm ordering another 15V transformer to give more voltage room since my mains is not stable,while existing 12V can be used for another project.

All levels.
The Salas Style Shunt regulator requires a higher voltage drop to operate properly.
Usually we aim for at least 5Vdrop across the regulator to ensure that the CCS is actually sending a real constant current.
To ensure that minimum of 5Vdrop we often adopt >=7Vdrop for normal operating condition.

12Vac cannot get the necessary 17Vdc to power a 10Vdc regulator at the full range of mains voltages.

I currently have them mounted on air with some 2.5mm solid copper wire and tied together with tie wrap for some extra stability. Future plan is to use some bigger spacer for the PCB and mount the caps on the bottom side of the pcb so that they can be tightly secured on the chassis for better vibration control. I have no clue how to find the outer foil