• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Ryan's Pensil 10.2 Build Log

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Alpair 6 (M to match the signature of the 10.2s ) - will work in as small as less than 3 liters, vented - I very much like them in the "milli" sized box (don't ask me the full length name)

A6.2M works in 1.5 -3.6 litre (the 1st pass of the large one (CGR) in the photo Chris posted, on the left, in natural BB on the granite & chrome stand). The vent in the smallest so large that the gross box volume is not much smaller than the universal uMar-Ken6 (2.5 litre, accomodates either A6.2 with no other changes)

dave

Yes the 6.2m looks like the way to get the range I want out of a small speaker. Is that only offered in the copper color? She was hoping I could match the cone color and wood species.

I could always change species, a dark walnut would look great with that copper color.

The uMar-Ken6 is the perfect size.

Last edited:
Yes the 6.2m looks like the way to get the range I want out of a small speaker. Is that only offered in the copper color? She was hoping I could match the cone color and wood species.

I could always change species, a dark walnut would look great with that copper color.

The uMar-Ken6 is the perfect size.

a flock of millis here with FE127E

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

cherry / port(colored cone/EnABL), walnut/natural (natural cone/EnABL), walnut/dark walnut stain(colored cone/EnABL) , cherry/natural(natural cones, stock)

the current colors of Alpair metal alloys are the "gun metal grey/silver", and copper - the A6P paper is actually bluish - but can actually be colored - Dave will have a picture somewhere

Then there's the CHP70.2 "natural" (i.e. tan) paper (similar to the raw color of the Fostex above) - softer on the top end, but even more easy to color over a wider range -

The mMar-Ken6 (milli) is much bigger but I could get away with it. Can you guys compare the approx frequency response of the mMar-Ken6 and the uMar-Ken6? I'm going for f3 in the 60s.

Dave can address that one

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The mMar-Ken6 (milli) is much bigger but I could get away with it. Can you guys compare the approx frequency response of the mMar-Ken6 and the uMar-Ken6? I'm going for f3 in the 60s.

I'd have to look at the sims to do a guess. F10 might be 60, F3 is likely closer to 80.

A6.2m does not work in a milli (the box is too big) -- only the paper.

Both drivers work in the uMarKen.

dave

I get F3@64Hz and F10@50 for the 6p in a milli size sim.

jeff

as much as I'm not a particularly big fan of "the numbers" (way too many years of listening to all sorts of gear that simply didn't sound as good or bad as the measures or price would suggest) - those are silly good for such a tiny driver and enclosure - of course the downside is excursion/power limitations

as much as I'm not a particularly big fan of "the numbers" (way too many years of listening to all sorts of gear that simply didn't sound as good or bad as the measures or price would suggest)

They're numbers based on numbers, you have to start somewhere.

those are silly good for such a tiny driver and enclosure

Amazing speakers for the desktop.

of course the downside is excursion/power limitations

High-passed, they would make a killer 2-way.

jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.