Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you very much for the very nice offer regarding the amps. I just ordered TDA8392 from the link you provided. It's a cheap option for testing and making the settings first. Think I will take you up on your offer regarding the fx8 amp in the near future if that is ok with you, I'll PM you when.
Thanks again for the offer and all the help.

Kazba with prv15"

Kazba wih PRV15w700 and my version of a Nola brio trio top end, Faital pro 4fe35's

The sound is good at polite, domestic audio levels which is what I listen at. They get a little riled if you crank them.

unnamed.jpg

interestingly, its got the same bulk as K15. Exemplar used K15 as a subwoofer with Altec 515, tuned with 2 -right angle 3" pvc elbows and applied some boost in the region of Fb - I tried it with an Altec 416 - very articulate sub it made for theater organ recordings.

It sounds better to me angled like this with the baffle perpendicular to the floor with the Faital Pro's closer to the speaker. I sealed the back too and I like that better as well. I think I made it a bit bigger than it needed to be. There's quite a bit of extra space inside and it's taller than it needs to be. Good thing I built it quick and dirty.

Attachments

• kazba big.jpg
    kazba big.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 472
I had it just a couple feet out from the island in my kitchen. I know dipoles need room to breath I should have pulled it out farther. With half our stuff packed up right now everything is kinda messed up. When I get a chance I'll put the slotted back on it again pull it out into the room and report on it again.

I'm not the best person to ask, but I can tell you this. I tested my first Kazba with a pair of 10" subwoofers from a Sony and later with some Dayton woofers. They played better with the 10" subs. They play better still with the 15's. The volume was limited quite a bit with the tens but it did sound good.

Spent some time running some tunes through it today with it pulled off the wall 6'. Thanks for the reminder. Everything from Sia's Cheap Thrills to Willy Nelson's Summertime was pure goodness. Also, played with rear baffles changing from the open slitted to sealed. Probably does sound better and more natural with the open one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.