Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks both. Now I know I want low Fs (below 30 Hz), reasonable Qts and large Xmax. So now my only concern is, how high above the crossover point should the woofer be reasonably flat? The one I looked at (55-2421) is falling off too soon I think - or would that be OK? This woofer seems to be quite good, also as confirmed by Freddi above. Worst case, I think four of these would make a nice pair of subwoofers if they would not work in the KaZba.

fwiw I've heard of folks using the cheap Pyle PPA12 for open baffle work. Its heavy, tragically weak for PA use but might be OK for H-Frame - Kazba duty (?)

I can't find Re , Xmax (nor independent T-S) for PPA12

Goldwood's GW1858 is pretty good for open/H-baffles - low mass, limited xmax but the progressive suspension keeps it from over shooting at higher levels

dJ3VvdM.png

I think so - but XRK971 can give a more complete answer

here's a small H-frame with a series pair

I'd like to hear X's view of what the two (one inverted) K-apertures can do
versus just a diagonal baffle board to divide the cabinet into two equal chambers.

jAiMFu9.png

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don’t think 6.5in drivers are big enough to use for a dipole bass speaker. Maybe 4 of them is series parallel.

As far what the aperture does, there might be some advantage as to cone loading. If you put an aperture on the front, it will increase velocity and give more efficiency. Leave back open and it will asymmetrically be more sensitive on the front side. I got that idea from revisiting the SLOB speaker. Slot loaded open baffle.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
X,

After reading a few pages back, I see where you explained to a member that 6" drivers are no good for a Kazba. You did mention that they possibly could work in a Karlsonator. Has anybody built a Karsonator with 2 6.5" drivers, and could they be wired in series for 8 ohms. Sorry to waste your time with the Kazba inquiries.

MM

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi X,

Any luck with the dual DC160 woofer Karlsonator design yet. It would be nice to know if a dual 6.5" woofer can work and what the dimensions of the box will be. Will decide what I want to do with the tweeter later. I am going to need help with a x-over if the design will work. What software are you using for X-over design?

Regards

MM

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Kokanee,
I just ran a simulation with those drivers and it doesn't look good. This was an 8in wide x 8in deep x 15in tall box. The drivers are 4ohms so in parallel they present a load as low as 1.9ohms to the amp. Can your amp drive 2ohm loads. But the characteristic response from a Kazba with these drivers and a smallish box like this doesn't look good. There is a huge overshoot peak at 400Hz and the bass falls of by -30dB at 100Hz. It just won't work. You are better off making some bass reflex subs or maybe a dual XKi sub with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.