Rising DC Offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, ZM.

This is how it is setup. I think I have connected Peter Daniel's board SG signal erroneously to the XLR pin 1. I always heard a faint buzzing sound on my speaker. What component would be damaged by this?

I think it's correct, it's the ground signal.

Thanks.

Attachments

• AJ diagram.png
    AJ diagram.png
    670 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if mosfet is nailed , it demands replacing

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

so - if dead amp isn't bothering you , who am I to argue ?

:devily:

Post42

The third wire of the Mains cable must be bolted to the Chassis !!

The earth wire is connected to the chassis.

I've replaced the mosfets and install a light tester to the mains and when I powered up the amp, the 40w light bulb lights up. Something is wrong.

Attachments

• DimbulbSketch.jpg
    DimbulbSketch.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20140811_005300.jpg
    20140811_005300.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 20140811_005311.jpg
    20140811_005311.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if amp is fully biased , and Aleph J is by construction (not starting biasing procedure from zero as , say, F5) - bulb tester can be used :eek:nly: for testing of unloaded PSU

so - fit appropriate fuse in mains , one dvm for observing Iq , another one for output offset ........ and bang it on

under condition that you triple checked everything in cold

post42 shows the Audio Ground connected to Chassis.
The Mains PE wire is not shown connected to Chassis.
Who are you trying to kill?

Hi Andrew,

I have connected it this way as shown in the diagram.
I ve powered up the amp without the light tester and it seems to work! DC offset is at 50mV when switched on and drop to 39mV after an hour. R7 is at 4.8v and Z1 is at 8.8v. But the mosfets are not well matched.

Attachments

• AJ diagram.png
    AJ diagram.png
    593 KB · Views: 109
The third wire in the mains cable must be fixed/bolted to the Chassis. This is your Protective Earth (Safety earth).

There are no alternatives.
You MUST make the Chassis safe.

Hi Andrew,

It is bolted to the chassis and then connected to the CL40 thermistor along with the star ground from the PSU.

The measurement as in the attached picture.

Attachments

• AJ diagram3.png
    AJ diagram3.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.