Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS

You're getting closer! You're making more progress than I am.

Thimios, it gives me association with a tank (in a good way) - a combination of power and uncompromised durability :cool:

Jeff don't forget,it is one channel!
I hope to do the same with the other.:D

Valery,yes like a tank ,the housing and the internall;)

Last edited:
The NS OPS has been singing in my listening room for a few hours last night but on test speakers and it sounded really good with great soundstage. I have to re-bias the output stage since I'm getting a 5 Celsius difference on the heatsinks.

Do

Good news DO!
Let's see what we have here.:cool:
TubeSumo on the road!

Attachments

• DSC09603.jpg
    DSC09603.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC09604.jpg
    DSC09604.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Did you get your issues with the over-current detection ironed out? These amps don't make a lot of heat so any air movement in the room such as a register can cause a large difference in heat sink temperatures.

I tested the amplifier with a 2R load with a music source and medium to high volume and the protection was far from being close to trip... I haven’t tested the amplifier on the main speakers yet, from where it was tripping the protection. I will test this further. There is only one register in that room and it is far back but I will block it and let the amp run for a couple hours.

Good news DO!
Let's see what we have here.:cool:
TubeSumo on the road!

Nice! Mine is all assembled but not yet tested since I have to assemble the filament supply for it. You’ll probably get there first!

Ciao!
Do

I tested the amplifier with a 2R load with a music source and medium to high volume and the protection was far from being close to trip... I haven’t tested the amplifier on the main speakers yet, from where it was tripping the protection. I will test this further. There is only one register in that room and it is far back but I will block it and let the amp run for a couple hours.

Nice! Mine is all assembled but not yet tested since I have to assemble the filament supply for it. You’ll probably get there first!

Ciao!
Do
If you have already IPS assembled why you not use a bench power supply for tube filament?;)

If you have already IPS assembled why you not use a bench power supply for tube filament?;)

I could but I'm still testing the amplifier and making sure everything is 100% ok before I go any further. I know I'm on the slow side these days but I've been working on three amps at the same time (fixing two defective FC-100 and TGM8, assembling USSA3), plus this one. :D

ok... So here's the reason why my left channel heatsink is 5 degrees colder... The emitter resistor show no voltage across them... Previously it was biased at 20mV but for some odd reason, nothing anymore...

I've tried centering R43 and maxing R31 and redoing the whole biasing but R31 from one end to the other doesn't make bias setting go up... Only when I have R43 to max value does it give me 5mV on emitter 0.22R... Adjusting R31 when R43 is maxed doesn't change anything... I don't know what could have gone wrong but weird... Blue LEDs still light up and music still plays fine though (only tried playing at very low level)

Any pointers?

Thanks
Do

ok... So here's the reason why my left channel heatsink is 5 degrees colder... The emitter resistor show no voltage across them... Previously it was biased at 20mV but for some odd reason, nothing anymore...

I've tried centering R43 and maxing R31 and redoing the whole biasing but R31 from one end to the other doesn't make bias setting go up... Only when I have R43 to max value does it give me 5mV on emitter 0.22R... Adjusting R31 when R43 is maxed doesn't change anything... I don't know what could have gone wrong but weird... Blue LEDs still light up and music still plays fine though (only tried playing at very low level)

Any pointers?

Thanks
Do

Check VAS current.

Any pointers?

Thanks
Do
As George recommends, check your VAS current of the input. This is what drives the bias spreader.