REV33: Here's some snake oil for you to sink your teeth into

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's what happens when you rely on ABX tests instead of what musicians hear openly.

Except when musicians don't make good critical listeners, do you really want me to go back and find how many times you have stated this? Or maybe we could revisit the tests where professional guitarists and luthiers were basically agnostic on pickups and pre-amps (741's were as good as anything else).

Back in the early 70's, I worked with rock groups, and for sure, they could hear differences in electronics. They, at first, even rejected some of mine. Then, I got my act together, and they loved my electronics.
In 1976, I worked on a solid state guitar amp for Gibson. We found that the jfet input IC's definitely sounded better than the uA741, but later the 'bean counters' put the 741's back in, because they were cheaper, and a GOOD design (to my ears) failed in the marketplace with the professional guitarists. Gee, what do you know? '-)

Back in the early 70's, I worked with rock groups, and for sure, they could hear differences in electronics. They, at first, even rejected some of mine. Then, I got my act together, and they loved my electronics.
In 1976, I worked on a solid state guitar amp for Gibson. We found that the jfet input IC's definitely sounded better than the uA741, but later the 'bean counters' put the 741's back in, because they were cheaper, and a GOOD design (to my ears) failed in the marketplace with the professional guitarists. Gee, what do you know? '-)

You forget all that matters is the sound when it is driven 50% over the rails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGNTx6SrrE

I wish I had $149 to burn but at the moment I do not. Was wondering if I might be able to take up a collection in order to obtain one and give it a full analysis. SY could do a fair bit on the basic unit and I've asked Tyll Hertzens if he could run some measurements using an actual IEM. In the end it could be cracked open to see exactly what is inside.

se

Me, a thread jacker? Wow! No, just a corrector of common mistakes about the audio listening experience.

Attachments

• Lab_Series_L5_L7_L9_L11_scheme.gif
    Lab_Series_L5_L7_L9_L11_scheme.gif
    46.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Many years ago I smacked up a passive LCR notch filter to chill out what I perceived as a response peak in a pair of otherwise nice sounding Sony headphones I owned. I tuned it to about 2.5 KHz, which I have subsequently learned is pretty much the frequency at which my ear canals resonate. I've read that everyone has this canal resonance to some extent, usually in the 2-4 KHz range. I wonder if this thing is just doing something like that? I would certainly list reduced listening fatigue as one of the sonic benefits of the filter thing I built.

-- Jim

Many years ago I smacked up a passive LCR notch filter to chill out what I perceived as a response peak in a pair of otherwise nice sounding Sony headphones I owned. I tuned it to about 2.5 KHz, which I have subsequently learned is pretty much the frequency at which my ear canals resonate. I've read that everyone has this canal resonance to some extent, usually in the 2-4 KHz range. I wonder if this thing is just doing something like that? I would certainly list reduced listening fatigue as one of the sonic benefits of the filter thing I built.

If that's what it's doing, it's completely different from the claims they make on their website. In fact, they vehemently claim that it's doing nothing to the signal itself, but rather reducing the distortion and noise inherent in all earbuds, IEMs and headphones.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.