REV33: Here's some snake oil for you to sink your teeth into

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Anecdotal info - no, it's not science but it was interesting. When doing the guitarist tests there was one guy - stunningly good player - who was 100% he could tell his valve amp from a solid state one designed - and measured - to sound the same. So, we swapped the guts of the amps... He saw what he thought was his amp, and said - sounds perfect, better than the other one...

Back in the early 70's, I worked with rock groups, and for sure, they could hear differences in electronics. They, at first, even rejected some of mine. Then, I got my act together, and they loved my electronics.
My experience too, but more recent, lol.
Guitarists and bass players in particular are very sensitive to any change in timbre, and are very definite about preferences.
Vocalists are very sensitive about mics and monitoring, but usually have to work with sub optimal setups.

Any improvement to monitoring is very much appreciated by vocalists, and very much allows improvement in their performances.
Improvement in floor wedge monitoring allows improved PA room sound, and improved IEM's further allows the vocalist better control and expression.
In a sense, monitoring is the most important reproduced sound in a performance.

I have ample experience with production talkback headphones.
In this application I am listening for spoken/shouted cues from the lighting director.
During a loud show, I have bleed from the room sound getting through the fully enclosed headphones.
Then the director opens his boom mic, and I additionally get reproduced room sound, and then I have to accurately discriminate his voice through all this cacophony.
When a show is loud I have to turn up my beltpack volume to get over the room sound, and the SPL at my ears can get pretty extreme.

Talkback beltpacks run on a phantom powered party line system, ie hundreds of meters of balanced mic cable daisy chained through each crew position.
These beltpack amplifiers run into limiting/clipping just when you need them to be clear and articulate, and it can be bloody hard work to understand what is being shouted into a mike when the beltpack is hard into limiting/clipping and loud.
After such a loud show, my/our ears can be fatigued, ie cooked.

This gadget claims reduction in noise, and mentions filtering HF junk.
Any improvement to IEM sound is good, and vocalists will favorably respond.
What is the problem here with this product ?.

Dan.

That it appears to be a fraud of the same sort as one fashion audio accessory after another. Dubious claims, check. Pseudo-science gibberish, check. Outsize price, check. Lack of any performance data, check. Glowing encomia by fraud promoters like Lavorgna, check.

John and you jumping in is one more data point in favor of the fraud presumption. The only thing missing is the "military secrets" part.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My experience too, but more recent, lol.
Guitarists and bass players in particular are very sensitive to any change in timbre, and are very definite about preferences.
Vocalists are very sensitive about mics and monitoring, but usually have to work with sub optimal setups.
They are also generally non-technical, incredibly superstitious and easily let by others, hence the 'I have to have this mic'.
Talkback beltpacks run on a phantom powered party line system, ie hundreds of meters of balanced mic cable daisy chained through each crew position.
These beltpack amplifiers run into limiting/clipping just when you need them to be clear and articulate, and it can be bloody hard work to understand what is being shouted into a mike when the beltpack is hard into limiting/clipping and loud.
After such a loud show, my/our ears can be fatigued, ie cooked.

This gadget claims reduction in noise, and mentions filtering HF junk.
Any improvement to IEM sound is good, and vocalists will favorably respond.

Dan.
As you are talking intelligibility then 1-4khz is the range of interest in which case a roll up above there and steep roll off above 10k would seem to be a good thing. Nothing snake oil and certainly not high fi.

$149 retail is not expensive for a product that evidently works.
Bear in mind that development costs have to be amortised in what is a relatively limited market...but of course you already knew that.

This gadget reduces harm to peoples' ears, I say good luck to the makers of this device.

Dan.

They are also generally non-technical, incredibly superstitious and easily let by others, hence the 'I have to have this mic'.
Rubbish.

As you are talking intelligibility then 1-4khz is the range of interest in which case a roll up above there and steep roll off above 10k would seem to be a good thing. Nothing snake oil and certainly not high fi.
Talkbacks are bandlimited to vocal band.

Dan.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wish I had $149 to burn but at the moment I do not. Was wondering if I might be able to take up a collection in order to obtain one and give it a full analysis. SY could do a fair bit on the basic unit and I've asked Tyll Hertzens if he could run some measurements using an actual IEM. In the end it could be cracked open to see exactly what is inside.

se

I got $ 50. Any other takers?

Joined 2014
Paid Member

Most rock guitarists have to employ someone to tune and setup their guitars. I could also swamp you with anecdotes from interviews that show that Brian May is an extreme outlier (along with Coxy).

Talkbacks are bandlimited to vocal band.

Dan.

So this magic dodad will do nothing even if it did something except in the case of horrendously distorted amplifers, in which case the problem is somewhere else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.