Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poster still needs to understand that "low noise resistor" has to be a qualified term- understanding the basics of Johnson vs excess noise is critical.

Carbon comp is a lousy choice for most signal circuits where voltage is dropped, that's pretty well known. See the article I linked to from 1957. They're fine for stoppers in power amps, but no-one on the sane side of engineering uses them for, say, feedback resistors.

Decent quality (cheap name brand) metal film have very low excess noise. Wirewound is even lower, but we're splitting very fine hairs at that point.

There are some very voltage noisy resistors other than carbon composition. Xicon metal film are better than Yaego made resistors. You can measure this or some folks seem to be able to tell just by listening.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
not me I am sorry
I like these ..

15067.jpg

and similar .. zero noise things :)

Do you forget MK132, TF020R & USF340;)

Mr Wayne,

I have a favorite string color, by no means implies that I'm not off my rocker, just reaches the top of the light house faster.

On the other hand, I scored A+ levels at a Navy's hearing test in straightjacket surroundings.
Even decades later, I can still hear the feet of a bug thump at 3ft distance, and suffer from insomnia while auditing a mouse do the runabout.
Oddly enough, my favorite flavors are usually back-evidenced by numbers, and by pro candy store operators.

Still, if I felt like adressing an audience on the matter at hand, I'd feel obliged to fold a newspaper hat first.

you wear a hat ..... :D

I believe Wurcer put this up in the Blowtorch thread. I have tried dthe TNPW and will be comparing the Isabellenhuette to Caddock MP and Fukushima, but on paper, the Isa trounces the other two. TNPW in Salas Folded RIAA has shocked two lifetime audio guys in terms of sound and low level detail. Sending a board with them soldered on to Salas to see if he thinks he can hear any difference. Figured he would be a good one to ask to compare.

https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0002/T0900200/001/current_noise.pdf

Well, I fully agree that carbon composition resistors are *bad*, and of course more modern ones are much better.
The Resista one is incredibly good, and is a series produced 25 cents part.
What I can't believe is that a handmade one can be "better".
Not even if it costs U$50 .

My point , which I repeat here, is that we have *incredibly* good parts, and to boot abbundant and for very low cost.

So good, that "exotics" can NOT, repeat NOT prove they are better, so they avoid publishing Lab measured specs and rely on hard to define (everybody has his personal interpretation) concepts such as "Soundstage", "lively", "smooth", etc.

Can Audio be bettered?
OF COURSE !!!
That's the point!!!
But the path lies in better design and development , not in using the same old designs , or even poor new designs, which can be magically saved by using exotics.

Thanks for posting the comparison, I would have loved to see something "midway" between such different contenders, such as a standard carbon film resistor, the common, say, 2 to 5 cents type, used by everybody.
Don't want to pre-judge, but I think it will sit closer to the Resista than to the Carbon Composition one.
Thanks again.

Here are the distortion measurements for an Ohmite carbon composition resistor and a Resista brand one.
Both are measured at 1 Khz and the test tone nulled as much as possible. 0 dB reference is 15.8 volts the resistors under test have 1/2 of that across them or in other words the power is 1/16 watt.
For full details see Linear Audio Vol. 1.

Very interesting. Thank you !
Please do not laugh at me
But what about "linearity" with very low level signal ?
I suppose that a good feedback resistor should be exceptionally linear
Maybe it is also a noise related issue ? the low the noise the higher the linearity ?
Which Resista series have you tested ?
Because Holco are rare and Caddock are very expensive
Thank you very much again
Regards,
gino

Last edited:
We used a lot of those Rhopoint WW precision resistors in industrial automation.

I could not measure the inductance since it was so low. The resistance coil is split into 2 halves, wound in opposite directions.

Since inductance was never a problem we did not go to the expense of a network analyser to measure it.

It is not specified in the data-sheets, either. This is not actually a good sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.