Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More layers, more contiguous return paths, more power pairs=more distributed planar capacitance=lower impedance power delivery at the frequencies you care about=less EMC=better signal integrity:D

Yeah, yeah,

I thought you would find some excuse.... :)

Actually in my soon to be published bit on power supplies one of the bits that slammed me up the side of my head is just how important low impedance supply rails can be even for low level audio circuits.

I just get to play with four layers for my designs, although yesterdays could have been done on one. Got some really cheap audio amplifier chips and are using them to make jobsite test gear.

Turns out there are tests that are useful for large scale projects that little or no easily portable test equipment is available to do that I am aware of.

One of the mistakes that took a bit to find was mis-wiring LF & HF. As the large pro boxes make you go through the crossover in the box even when bi or tri amping in an array they sound a bit off but still work. The give away is that when you measure the impedance of an HF system the meter should never really settle down. The compression drivers are efficient enough that they create a back EMF from the ambient noise. That leaves telling the mids from the lows, so the best method is to actually use them as microphones and listen to them.

Now some folks can use the impedance curves to tell them apart, but that is not as simple as it seems. One common computer add on used the power from the USB port and doesn't have enough umph to drive the long length of loudspeaker cable. Then there are some loudspeakers where the impedance curves lie to you.

But it is obvious you couldn't successfully design a state of the art audio PC card. After all you just don't get the quantum mechanics required.

Remember that I have professional experience in both studio recording and live sound and recording. I see them both as being important.

That is a gross exaggeration.

What you are guilty of is self-aggrandisement at the best and purposely misleading others as to your degree of experience at a lesser level.

The implication of 'professional experience' is that you have worked (intensively and extensively) as a full-time recording engineer in a recording studio whose work has been issued as normally marketed to the retail record trade.

By your own admission (the bulk of - or all?) your experience has been limited to recording a few records made in your Church.

Although I am confident that these recordings were adequate for purpose, that does not qualify you to make the sweeping statement as quoted above.

On the evidence of this example alone please tell us why should we accept your opinion on anything?

For long term matching/reliability IC anyday, my NOS AD624's from 1982 work to spec right out of the bin.

BTW no evidence/published basis on your first statement.

EDIT - Heed Mooly guys.

The angels must be singing. We agree that an IC is the way to go for good matching out of the bin for ever after.

As to thin films that is my feel without specific data, but there is some correlation between that and many of my measurements. The exception is the stress compensated Vishay bulk film resistors.

Don't you mean state of the art 'audiophile' PC card, with the rollable opamps all helpfully together at one end? :p. Some people have too many principles for that!

Bill,

I am afraid you don't understand. One of those funny issues is what does it actually take to be an expert. Some research indicates one issue is having more than 10,000 hours of practice. Now if you read Marce's posts he often goes on far too long and in too much detail. So it is obvious he is just a newbie poser.

Or is it one form of expressing friendly respect is actually teasing... But you would have known that if you were any good.

Or maybe I always lie.

Ed,
Or it could just be the English sense of humor being just too subtle. :)

And I though the English sense of humor was just dressing in drag. (Actually happened at one AES convention. (Met a major player wearing a dress and the observers got their yucks from observing the interaction.)

You mean there is another version?

Now the French really have one. Can you believe they sell us water at premium prices in small bottles, when it is just about free everywhere. They have to be ROTFL.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
ER not really, roughness of PCB material can be a problem with very high speed signals because of the impedance mismatches it causes, audio you don't even have to worry about skin effect and all the rest... or normal digital.
So for audio the effect is about as close to 0 as you can get.....

Marce: I agree entirely--as my subsequent point drives at I was assuming that any of those roughness/grain termination effects are going to be (all else equal) in the outer couple nanometers of a 18 (or whatever) gauge wire (or skin of a PCB trace), and be utterly meaningless in terms of global effect for audio.

Last edited:
thor2 said:
And double blindtest ABX, etc. will only confuse and make the assessment more uncertain.

Is that a fact?

Seems like there is some confusion here, as double blind test ABX, etc. clarify the situation and make the assessment more certain.

That's common sense, and that's the conclusion of modern generally accepted science.

Status
Not open for further replies.