Resistor Sound Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Marce, I have a vast depth of knowledge about audio design. You, however, do not.
My associate, who has been my layout guy for the last 30 years, could teach you a thing or two, but he doesn't bother to contribute here.
Thinking, just because you are a layout guy at some company, that you can tell the rest of us what works and what doesn't in audio, is not really very helpful. You lack experience.

I don't think so John, I really don't I don't limit myself to esoteric audio design and actually have studies and study all aspects of PCB design and have done it for many many years (over 30 in fact).
I don't tell you or others what works and what doesn't in audio, but I do question some of the BS myths and ideas you promote.
Nice to see you have used your second type of reply the pull down, I remember one from ages ago where you called a lot of us amateurs... Yes I am just a layout guy at some company, funnily I can back my experience up with some pretty fancy projects such as being the main layout guy for this little lot:
http://www.northropgrumman.com/capabilities/anvic5/documents/vic5.pdf
As well as being CID registered with the IPC.
So I don't lack any experience in PCB design, but hey pull me down, even when you don't have a clue to my abilities, it will help you in your support of such REAL components as Bybee's.....:D:D

We all bring our own little bit on knowledge to the forum, and all our views are valid if not always correct....

Last edited:
.........it is an insult to ask a person with >50 years experience in audio including designing and building commercial audio equipment, professional recording, sound reinforcement and room acoustics whether they understand stereo.
I and also others understand what you understand about audio, I and also others understand things about audio that you might not.

Dan.

Last edited:
I know it John, I can see that diyAudio no different from other forums I participated in.

There is the same strictly separate types / groups who are trying to fight each other in this question about the sound signature not only due to the schematic / electric design.
But also affected by the choice of the components selected to ralicerer the design / schematic.

I could content myself with this realization and use my experience to choose the components with the best sound signature, components that will give the totality optimal sound.

But I am also technician, and these problems/lack of explanations has plagued me for years.

Problems I have not experienced in my professional work as a technician, here follows everything the textbooks, because I do not work with audio engineering.
Audio is only a hobby for me.

I am still waiting for some technical reason how a resistor used in the digital section of an audio replay chain can impart its own sound signature on the sound....
Now instead of direct insults (not from you, directly) from the believer section why don't you try and answer my question and give me some possible mechanism or path to do some research on....

It is an insult to ask an adult whether they know how to walk and chew gum at the same time, and it is an insult to ask a person with >50 years experience in audio including designing and building commercial audio equipment, professional recording, sound reinforcement and room acoustics whether they understand stereo.

No it's not an insult, when you are in the firstt place almost tells me that I'm an idiot because I use LEDE.

Ps Ps My respect for professional audio is not great after having spent about 1 million Danish crowns over the years, that's why I switched to DIY . And then have obtained better sound than I ever had before.
However, I'll take my hat of reverence for Beolab 90 and the B&O's technician,
Unfortunately is Beolab 90 outside my reach financially.

Last edited:
I and others understand what you understand about audio, I and also others understand things about audio that you might not.

Dan.

I think Marce said this:

"We all bring our own little bit on knowledge to the forum, and all our views are valid if not always correct..."

I disagree that all views are valid, given that two people can view the same scene while only one is knowledgeable about which seen things are illusions, and which are real objects.

Viewing a scene may seem trivial, but I know of places on the great lakes where the above is very true - the difference being knowledge of the difference in appearance of mirages versus real water and land, and knowledge of the actual geography.

On land there are similar pitfalls for the naive observer.

The same applies to audio. There are heard things that are illusions and others that are reliably heard things.

No it's not an insult, when you are in the firstt place almost tells me that I'm an idiot because I use LEDE.

That is a figment of your imagination. I don't think such things, and I never said that. I said, LEDE has its place - studios, but the real world is composed of more than studios.

Giving you the benefit of the obvious doubt: Maybe Thor2 you should stay off what are for you foreign language forums until you learn English well enough so you can understand it well enough to not make trouble for yourself.

I am still waiting for some technical reason how a resistor used in the digital section of an audio replay chain can impart its own sound signature on the sound....

Well, considering a situation that we hope cannot exist in modern times with reasonable gear:

If the resistor is horribly noisy or distorting...

If the digital link has no effective error detection (and hopefully correction) ...

If the sound signature is that good sounds are generally turned into obvious trash... Subtle changes are very unlikely.

Many do not realize that error detecting and (hopefully) correcting links are the modern norm.

They do not understand that an error-free digital link adds no, that is zero distortion or noise to the signal.

They do not understand that characteristic sounds or colorations are always the results of some kind of added distortion or noise.

The modern audiophile press contradicts any or all of the above at will...

Yes.
Some you are dealing with here are not naive observers and also have reliable hearing.

The second claim is false - Reliable hearing does not exist in humans - all known humans who have been tested are subject to various illusions and biases related to hearing.

That error puts a clear limitation on the potential reliability of the first claim.

Many here seem to doubt even older science when it comes to listening tests. DBTs were first published and had their need established no later than 1950, but many still deny and resist.

Excuse me, how do you think I should understand this:

"LEDE is generally a studio technology. In general studios depend on solo or very small group performances, multitrack mixdowns, and synthetic recordings. This is your reference for sound quality?

Try taking it at face value.

Please notice that I didn't say that people who believe otherwise are idiots.

Do try to not become emotional and see all sorts of things that are not there.

Remember that I have professional experience in both studio recording and live sound and recording. I see them both as being important.

Our IC thin film is 40nm thick and is used in all our precision amplifiers. You can read the datasheet yourself (AD8229) internal 3k resistors against 6 Ohms external for a gain of 1000 and +-1ppm non-linearity for a full 20V p-p output. No noise issues of any note either.

I suspect the thinner the film the better the performance as long as you don't run into thermal issues.

Which would you rather use today a discrete instrumentation amplifier or an IC version if the noise, gain and bandwidth are the same?

I suspect the thinner the film the better the performance as long as you don't run into thermal issues.

Which would you rather use today a discrete instrumentation amplifier or an IC version if the noise, gain and bandwidth are the same?

For long term matching/reliability IC anyday, my NOS AD624's from 1982 work to spec right out of the bin.

BTW no evidence/published basis on your first statement.

EDIT - Heed Mooly guys I can only guess that the density of arny posts means trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.