• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote relay volume control kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help needed

I've just finished assembling a few Apox boards and I've run into troubles, because I can't get them to work properly.
The temporary configuration I'm using is composed of a IR1 rev.3, two SHM rev.1, and one IS1 rev.2Here are the issues I've run into, can anybody help?

1) Upon power up, the IR module detects the IS1, but it doesn't detect the SHM's. The led on the SHM doesn't blink, it's permanently off (yes, I've checked that the board is powered). Any idea of why this is happening? What could be wrong?

2) The IS board is properly detected, but the relays don't seem to work. Upon changing the inputs on the IR module, nothing happens on the board (no clicking at all). The led is properly blinking (btw, it blinks once a second even when the I2C connection is missing. Is it normal?).
The only thing that seems to work is the home theater bypass: when selected/deselected, it causes the relays to click. Again, what could be wrong?

3) The Home Theater Bypass header on the IR board doesn't seem to work. Whilst shorting the mute header causes the muting/un-muting of the board, shorting the HTB header doesn't have any effect. What am I missing?

4) How does the standby header work?

Lots of questions, as usual, but I hope that you guys can help!

I'm just posting to say a big thank you to Dale - I've just finished putting together my apox boards and everything works very well. I've got the IR1, IS1, and Apox 1, and it all went together very straightforwardly. I'm dead impressed.

Also, thanks to Gaz for his learning IR version of the firmware - any chance of adding standby to the learning section? Or letting me have a copy of the code so that I can have a go at doing it?

m.pariqi - it's normal for the leds to flash when the I2C is missing, and the mute and htb work in the same way: shorting the header toggles them on and off.

Matt

It is meant to be downloaded via the bootloader programme available for download on the Apox Audio website. I don't know if you can just download it using a PIC Programmer...I've not tried it.

I did have to reflashed my PIC with the bootloader HEX code when I first had a problem with it - but that was the bootloader software - not the control software...

Gaz

I have neglected to look at this site for a few months, thinking it was inactive. I'm happy to read about the updates. I also wanted to post a thanks to Dale for help he'd provided to me last fall (I think the private emails I was sending to him went into the ether...)

My problem arose when I changed encoders from those supplied in the kits to some with metal shafts with metric diameters. These were purchased from Digikey: http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=102&M=RE21NF25C20RA The manufacturer's (CUI) info page:
http://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=812907&catky=112362&subcatky1=899424&subcatky2=600414

However, these new encoders switched way too fast and it was difficult to select anything. Dale suggested the following mods to the IR1 board, and now the encoders work beautifully.

Step 1: increase C2, C5, C15, C16. I tried various values. Behavior got strange on going to 0.47 uF, selections seemed 'stick' and wouldn't change. 0.1 uF ceramic seemed best, but the encoders were still a bit too sensitive.

Step 2: increase R4 and R25 from 4M to 10M. (I don't think this did anything but I left the greater values in place.)

Step 3: moved +5V end of R1 and R22 to digital ground. This was the ticket. Now everything worked very well.

Dale mentioned that this moves the mode from X4 to X1.

I have an extra Apox kit I have decided to sell, I bought two and never built the second one. Here is a list of the kit assemblies and the price as well as the APOX website for more information. I will ship pretty much world wide, but buyer pay's in US Dollars and pays shipping.

APOX IS1 Kit x 2 (Input Select)
APOX-1 Kit (Volume Control)
APOX-IR1 Kit (Front Panel and Ifrared Receiver)
5K Holco Resistor Kit for Volume Control

One price, will not break up the kit.

$330 US plus shipping.

Best Regards,

Anthony

http://www.apoxcontrols.com/apox.htm

Coulomb said:
I have an extra Apox kit I have decided to sell, I bought two and never built the second one. Here is a list of the kit assemblies and the price as well as the APOX website for more information. I will ship pretty much world wide, but buyer pay's in US Dollars and pays shipping.

APOX IS1 Kit x 2 (Input Select)
APOX-1 Kit (Volume Control)
APOX-IR1 Kit (Front Panel and Ifrared Receiver)
5K Holco Resistor Kit for Volume Control

One price, will not break up the kit.

$330 US plus shipping.

Best Regards,

Anthony

http://www.apoxcontrols.com/apox.htm

Who was going to buy it. ?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm selling my APOX kit...soon...

if I cannot get any support very soon!

I want to use 8 inputs, and 2 SHM volume-boards(balanced), but this config will not work...

Dale have promised me new "chips", long ago, none seen...and also several months since I got a e-mail-reply.

Arne K :mad:

Apox help

Cobra 2, you should write directly to Craig and Dale at the Apox site support address.
For some reason, they aren't really current in reading the posts on this board. I've got the suuport I was dire need of only when I addressed them directly. I even went as far as phoning them...but it worked!!!
I hope you'll get sopport this way.

SHM Boards

Cobra2, what's the problem with your SHM boards? I'm stuck with them and I can't get them to work at all, maybe there's some flaw with the design.
Craig and Dale did send me the replacement PIC chips, but it didn't change the situation at all...
Now I'm sending the two boards back to them for troubleshooting. Let's hope this works!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.