Rehousing speaker - TDL RTL3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some progress today. Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to take some measurements and get started on the xover design...

Attachments

• dsc03747.jpg
    dsc03747.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 338
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Vikash

Sorry I wasn't around much this weekend, real life got in the way a bit. The first thing I see is those lumps on the FR chart. They look too regular to be from the driver, is it possible you have some room effects creeping in? Are they nearfield or at 1m? Could even be beaming...

As for the crossover, it looks pretty good, though you might have fun making up some of those cap values. What did the existing TDL3 cross over at? I can't recall.

Haven't done much with the PC for the last week or so, I need to get it all up and running again. Briccolo suggested using the KX drivers for my Audigy SC, as I was having issues with the Creative drivers after a nasty PC crash, so I should, (hopefully), get on that this week.

The first thing I see is those lumps on the FR chart. They look too regular to be from the driver, is it possible you have some room effects creeping in? Are they nearfield or at 1m? Could even be beaming...
I think that's the comb filtering effect of the MTM. The measurements were taken at 1m. At 0.5m and 2m the same ripples are present.

What did the existing TDL3 cross over at? I can't recall.
I measured and modelled the original xover and guess what!? It's uses half the parts and models better! Nothing to do here.

The grey line is my crossover. The black line is the original crossover. They know a simpler/better way to get round the L-Pad and notch filter that I couldn't do without. I obviously have a lot to learn yet!

V

Attachments

• untitled-4.gif
    untitled-4.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 291
Light at the end of the tunnel...

I did some more measurements today with the new crossover parts in place. It's the same xover design as the original (as per my previous post) just changed all the parts for half decent ones from Madisound.

My main concern with the measurements is the small null at 2.5k. All drivers measure ok when measured individually as can been seen, but when measured as a whole there seems to be an issue. I've pulled my hair out with this but I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it...

I'm going to pad the tweeter down a bit which may or may not take care of the not-so-nice top end of the original TDL's.

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 267
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Light at the end of the tunnel...

Vikash said:
I did some more measurements today with the new crossover parts in place. It's the same xover design as the original (as per my previous post) just changed all the parts for half decent ones from Madisound.

My main concern with the measurements is the small null at 2.5k. All drivers measure ok when measured individually as can been seen, but when measured as a whole there seems to be an issue. I've pulled my hair out with this but I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it...

I'm going to pad the tweeter down a bit which may or may not take care of the not-so-nice top end of the original TDL's.

Must be your -z and -Y +Y acoustic centres data. Plus that last octave rise looks suspicious. Maybe its your mic climbing due to edge diffraction in that 6mm brass tube. Is it checked against some other mic?

Hi Salas, I thought maybe I had made a mistake somewhere with the wiring but since that null measures the same even with the original crossover I don't see anything I can do about it.

I haven't 'checked' the mic against another. However my measured response follows the tweeter datasheet so there's no concern for me there.

One things I'm learning is that the MTM topology stinks. :xeye: ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.