Reflektor-D builds

Hi,
I have got couple of 2SK117GR with relatively low IDSS 2.8-3.1mA. Can I use them in the J1 position? If so what value resistor 'RR' should I applay ?
You suggest RR "When IDSS J1<4mA use 47R" But due to low IDSS maybe I should use resistor with lower value than 47R?
Thanks,

Hi,
I would like to ask about JFET in the R6 position.
I guess the same output voltage can be set by using lower voltage LED (eg RED) with high IDSS JFET in R6 (eg 2SK117BL=12mA) OR
higher voltage LED (eg GREEN) with lower IDSS (eg 2sk117GR=5mA)
Assuming that both combinations gives the same Vout what combination would be preferable?
Is the use of high IDSS JFET in the R6 position can compromise the sound or can I expect other unforeseen situations eg vulnerability of Vout due to the temperature drift etc.?
I have few pieces of spare 2SK117BL with IDSS 10-12mA and I wonder if I could use it in the R6 position...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am considering to build a buffalo 3 se pro (ess9038 dac).

This particular dac requires upto 750ma but apparently also uses much less chrrent at lower sampling rates.

Even if we could pump the reflektor d to 750ma at 5v, would using a reflektor d be a smart thing to do?

If you put its Mosfets on a good external sink with pin extensions or use the Mini variant that only uses external sinking the heat would be successfully exchanged.

But in general to use CCS biased shunt regulators where there is frequently much waste between idle and peak load demand, its an inefficient choice for energy management. They are like Class A amps with a CCS i.e. most wasteful when not utilized close to full. They may sound good but that's another thing. Its up to you.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,
I would like to ask about JFET in the R6 position.
I guess the same output voltage can be set by using lower voltage LED (eg RED) with high IDSS JFET in R6 (eg 2SK117BL=12mA) OR
higher voltage LED (eg GREEN) with lower IDSS (eg 2sk117GR=5mA)
Assuming that both combinations gives the same Vout what combination would be preferable?
Is the use of high IDSS JFET in the R6 position can compromise the sound or can I expect other unforeseen situations eg vulnerability of Vout due to the temperature drift etc.?
I have few pieces of spare 2SK117BL with IDSS 10-12mA and I wonder if I could use it in the R6 position...

You assume correctly. The lower mA choice would be more welcome for keeping the BJT Mirror at lower current noise and self heat. You could drop the BL JFET's Id with a source resistor though. Bit difficult to squeeze in there but there are some tiny through hole ones or obviously SMD.