• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Oliver,

With PCM feed to 1541A in simultaneous mode, and with the most recent firmware rev. of WaveIO, whats the highest sampling rate you can playback with tda1541A.

My set up is very similar, using waveIO - FIFO - ISO - Dual XO 45.xx 49.xx - I2S>PCM and get great sound at 192kHz, but above that is distorted - wondering how you're going with forced up sampling with mac based software.

Sincerely,
Shane

However, if you use the I2S to PCM module the TDA1541A get´s the data for both channels separate (simultaneous mode), with brings the last step in SQ.

The result is a extreme open, 3D soundstage with tons of microdetails.
I never heard my DAC sounding that good! :worship: A big thanks to Ian for his work!

Thanks Oliver. I can't believe I missed Ian's work, a fellow Torontonian. Sounds like a great complement to the Red Baron!. I'll hope there is enough interest for another GB.

Merry Christmas to you. Have a happy holiday season. I know I am having great fun listening and building.
Walter

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

With PCM feed to 1541A in simultaneous mode, and with the most recent firmware rev. of WaveIO, whats the highest sampling rate you can playback with tda1541A.

My set up is very similar, using waveIO - FIFO - ISO - Dual XO 45.xx 49.xx - I2S>PCM and get great sound at 192kHz, but above that is distorted - wondering how you're going with forced up sampling with mac based software.

Sincerely,
Shane

Hi Shane,

i am using the Dual XO with 22.5xx & 24.5xx MHz Crystek CCHD-957 and have the same phenomenon.

I am powering the WaveIO over the USB-Port from my iMac. Perhaps that´s the problem at higher sampling freq.

Best,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

With the Dual XO and 22.xx + 24.xx you are limited to 192kHz as a maximum, so it seems your situation is quite normal.

If you were to use the 45.xx + 49.xx and configure the Dual XO board for 'double speed' then the higher rates should be open as an option to you.

Wasn't aware that you were using the lower speed clocks, in the event that you have the chance to try 45.xx or 49.xx I'd be interested to learn of your experience with 384 capable WaveIO and PCM fed 1541A.

Best regards,
Shane

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,

With the Dual XO and 22.xx + 24.xx you are limited to 192kHz as a maximum, so it seems your situation is quite normal.

If you were to use the 45.xx + 49.xx and configure the Dual XO board for 'double speed' then the higher rates should be open as an option to you.

Wasn't aware that you were using the lower speed clocks, in the event that you have the chance to try 45.xx or 49.xx I'd be interested to learn of your experience with 384 capable WaveIO and PCM fed 1541A.

Best regards,
Shane

Hi Shane,

i missed that totally... :eek:

Did you power the WaveIO externally or over the USB-Cable?

Best regards,
Oliver

Hello Oliver,

I recently built red baron version 5 board using smd caps.Output stage is old version of tubizator with Texas instruments bulk foil resistors for iv and salas shunts for the power to the red baron board.

In the I2s mode with Bck connected to data r pin of tda 1541, I get excellent sound using twisted pear spdif board as well as ebay wolfson receiver board using CAL delta Cd transport.

Suresh

hi Suresh,

do you use TPA's spdif transceiver board? If yes, what are the settings of dip switch?

I have the same spdif board and since last summer I've been desperately trying to get the damn dac working with it. I have 4.0 version with Dem reclock and i2s attenuator mods, so basically same 5.0 version as you have. I think I already hate that project, though don't want to step aside, will finish it sooner or later :D at least I hope so...

hi Suresh,

do you use TPA's spdif transceiver board? If yes, what are the settings of dip switch?

I have the same spdif board and since last summer I've been desperately trying to get the damn dac working with it. I have 4.0 version with Dem reclock and i2s attenuator mods, so basically same 5.0 version as you have. I think I already hate that project, though don't want to step aside, will finish it sooner or later :D at least I hope so...

Used the standard setting that Oliver posted on the TPA board. I have an ebay wolfson board too that has the same problem. I can get TPA board to work by connecting Bck and data R as they show in Tda 1541 circuits of old players like rotel 955 and arcam alpha 5 plus.

I just could not get the waveio board in i2s mode to work but it worked fine when I used the spdif of the same into tpa boad. My original plan was to use a switch like otto mux from tpa to swicth between usb and spdif inputs.

I am suspecting it is tda1541 vs tda1541a that I am using might be i causing the problem.

When I get sometime time off work again I will get back to the project. The sound that this rig produces ( whether it is spdif or usb) is as close I have come to reproducing the sound of my vinyl setup despite my problems.

dtses,
Take a small metal uninsulated object such as a screw driver, or scribe in your hand.
While the unit is running, touch the metal object first to BCK then to FS, and Data conections on the TP board, and tell me if the distortion goes away. If so, which one.

TOUCH ONLY THESE POINTS WHILE POWERED ON!

Ned

I can get TPA board to work by connecting Bck and data R as they show in Tda 1541 circuits of old players like rotel 955 and arcam alpha 5 plus.

that is actually how it's implemented in version 4.0.
In v5 Oliver added a jumper and in i2s mode DATA/R is connected to ground instead of BCK. I have no idea why, though both configurations produce same hissing and distortions for me :confused:

dtses,
Take a small metal uninsulated object such as a screw driver, or scribe in your hand.
While the unit is running, touch the metal object first to BCK then to FS, and Data conections on the TP board, and tell me if the distortion goes away. If so, which one.

TOUCH ONLY THESE POINTS WHILE POWERED ON!

Ned

unfortunately I got no changes at all. Tried with bck connected to ground as in v5.0

Attachments

• The Red Baron DAC.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Red Baron V5.0.pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Small update. It took about a year :D but now it's f*&% working!!!

The hissing I got with PCM board has been removed! Ian was so kind that even sent 2nd board to check if the problem is there. Eventually it laid in 4 missing 1N4148 diodes that v5.0 has. However I still couldn't remove the hissing if TPAs board is connected directly.

Regarding the sound.
Frankly speaking I expected a bit more! So the main points are: trebles are slightly cut, soundstage is narrowed, lack of air. Good side: bass, details, punch, it's all there. I would rate it as a step over Subbu DAC, but it's all subjective and not actually comparable due to 5-6 time higher price of RB project, not including the case.

Perhaps it's my implementation: Torx converter -> TPA -> PCM -> RB 4.0 -> DDNF. Maybe due to the parts I used - no Mundorf Supreme caps or Vishay foil resistors or 50-100VA toroids.
But still - 5 Salas regs + 3 other shunts have been implemented. Three dedicated trafos (TDA chip, DDNF board, TPA+PCM+Torx). Huge amount of caps in PS. Mundorf Evo caps in the output section.

Will compare to Benchmark on the weekend, lets see the results. The initial testing with T+A player has failed.:violin:

Small update. It took about a year :D but now it's f*&% working!!!

The hissing I got with PCM board has been removed! Ian was so kind that even sent 2nd board to check if the problem is there. Eventually it laid in 4 missing 1N4148 diodes that v5.0 has. However I still couldn't remove the hissing if TPAs board is connected directly.

Regarding the sound.
Frankly speaking I expected a bit more! So the main points are: trebles are slightly cut, soundstage is narrowed, lack of air. Good side: bass, details, punch, it's all there. I would rate it as a step over Subbu DAC, but it's all subjective and not actually comparable due to 5-6 time higher price of RB project, not including the case.

Perhaps it's my implementation: Torx converter -> TPA -> PCM -> RB 4.0 -> DDNF. Maybe due to the parts I used - no Mundorf Supreme caps or Vishay foil resistors or 50-100VA toroids.
But still - 5 Salas regs + 3 other shunts have been implemented. Three dedicated trafos (TDA chip, DDNF board, TPA+PCM+Torx). Huge amount of caps in PS. Mundorf Evo caps in the output section.

Will compare to Benchmark on the weekend, lets see the results. The initial testing with T+A player has failed.:violin:

Can you post a picture of your implementation?

Sure, here are few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 631
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 222
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.