• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hello all, i did send this to Soekris but someone here may have seen this too..

Today my DAM1021 didn't lock the usb signal again, worked perfect yesterday.
I did connect the serial interface to see.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyone?
Best regards // Daniel

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i was thinking about the filter too, from the start i uploaded "the party pack" filter and was using NewNOS. But since it has been problems from the start i uploaded 1021full_099.skr and are using does filters. But that doesn't solve the problem. Soekris ask me to connect seriell next time i had problems to see what umaneger say.

Best Regards //Daniel

Hello all, i did send this to Soekris but someone here may have seen this too..

Today my DAM1021 didn't lock the usb signal again, worked perfect yesterday.
I did connect the serial interface to see.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anyone?
Best regards // Daniel

Something is causing the FPGA firmware to either be lost or corrupt. Since last upgrading the firmware did you run 'update' in uManager? I'm not sure but there were at least a few updates from Soren covering 0.99.

Something is causing the FPGA firmware to either be lost or corrupt. Since last upgrading the firmware did you run 'update' in uManager? I'm not sure but there were at least a few updates from Soren covering 0.99.

It's clearly the fpga firmware that's not there so don't use the "update" command, that only to be used when updating the uC firmware....

My dam1021 couldn't lock signal from the start. So i had to upload the FW again, and run update. I have done that everytime (almost every day) to get it to work again..

Best regards //Daniel

Hi Soren,

I have a problem, I am trying to setup two dam1021 rev2 in balance output. I used RAW output for each of the channel (see the attachment for detail). I used both USB and S/PDIF1 (in RCA) and for both connection, the DAC can lock and make sound.

I tried to test the two cards before by mounting them on a wooden broad and it was okay. Now they are mounted inside a chassis. Their grounds are not interconnected (I use plastic screws for mounting) only at the point of XLR gnd. And they doesn't share the same power source (no beep from DMM for GND, +/-5v, 3.3v, iso 3.3v, 1.2v in J2 in two cards). I have also loaded the v099 party pack (The v099 Party Pak | moreDAMfilters) and selected F7 (newnos) in both cards.

After loading the filter, I put the two cards into chassis, connect power and power up. I checked the left and right channel which seems correct, the voltages (probed in J2) of both dam1021 are correct. However, the problem is that the sound level is extreme low. :confused:

Then I tried to connect only one dam1021 and reload the firmware:
1. download to PC
http://www.soekris.dk/1021full_099.skr ----> all firmware/filters
2. connect RS232 using putty, +++, in uManager, type "download"
3. select XModem, send, I tried several times and finally it can "upload" to the dam1021
4. typed "upgrade" in uManager
5. double confirm by pressing "y" key
6. power off and power on
7. it shows v0.99, and it goes back to "normal" mode (it was bal-right before)

After the firmware reload, everything seems reset, I use RCA jack for testing but the low volume issue still exists, then I went to uManager and set mode=bal-right again but still the output volume is extreme low.
Do you have any idea? Thanks

Attachments

• Board-diagram - ??.png
    Board-diagram - ??.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
Hi Soren,

I have a problem, I am trying to setup two dam1021 rev2 in balance output. I used RAW output for each of the channel (see the attachment for detail). I used both USB and S/PDIF1 (in RCA) and for both connection, the DAC can lock and make sound.

I tried to test the two cards before by mounting them on a wooden broad and it was okay. Now they are mounted inside a chassis. Their grounds are not interconnected (I use plastic screws for mounting) only at the point of XLR gnd. And they doesn't share the same power source (no beep from DMM for GND, +/-5v, 3.3v, iso 3.3v, 1.2v in J2 in two cards). I have also loaded the v099 party pack (The v099 Party Pak | moreDAMfilters) and selected F7 (newnos) in both cards.

After loading the filter, I put the two cards into chassis, connect power and power up. I checked the left and right channel which seems correct, the voltages (probed in J2) of both dam1021 are correct. However, the problem is that the sound level is extreme low. :confused:

Then I tried to connect only one dam1021 and reload the firmware:
1. download to PC
http://www.soekris.dk/1021full_099.skr ----> all firmware/filters
2. connect RS232 using putty, +++, in uManager, type "download"
3. select XModem, send, I tried several times and finally it can "upload" to the dam1021
4. typed "upgrade" in uManager
5. double confirm by pressing "y" key
6. power off and power on
7. it shows v0.99, and it goes back to "normal" mode (it was bal-right before)

After the firmware reload, everything seems reset, I use RCA jack for testing but the low volume issue still exists, then I went to uManager and set mode=bal-right again but still the output volume is extreme low.
Do you have any idea? Thanks

What does the dam1021 print out when powering up, especially the Vxx status ?

How do you control volume ?

What about the volume before converting to balanced ?

How are the boards powered ?

And of course check your software....

Check the volume settings on each board, the one thing you haven't mentioned in your post.

Also make sure that you power cycle the boards after uploading the base firmware, before loading the party pack filter set.

Thanks spikestabber. I tried to set volume to -10, power off, power on. The output voume really goes lower. Then I set volume back to 0, then power off and on, it goes back like before. So I think there's no problem in volume setting.
I doesn't use party pack filter now, just to minimize the possibility before I find out what's wrong.

Thanks spikestabber. I tried to set volume to -10, power off, power on. The output voume really goes lower. Then I set volume back to 0, then power off and on, it goes back like before. So I think there's no problem in volume setting.
I doesn't use party pack filter now, just to minimize the possibility before I find out what's wrong.

You should get around twice an increase in volume output when outputting balanced from the raw outputs, at least I did, which is expected. Something is definitely wrong with your setup. Have you used the actual set volume command to set a volume? Thats the only command that saves the volume setting in the nvram which is restored at next power cycle.

Please post some pictures of your setup so we can take a glance, you might have overlooked something.

rev3:

I now use a custom resistor value on all new boards, so all the 3M01 "fine adjust" resistors will be removed. That leaves space for an additional 300 uF ceramics on each vref.... Otherwise there are no changes and the rev3 is firmware compatible with the other revsions.

DSD:

As stated earlier, I will add DSD support, the firmware is upgradeable: Of course the FPGA will first convert it to 384 Khz PCM, then upsample, pass filters and do digital volume control.

But DSD should be avoided, the point of the R-2R DAC is to avoid delta sigma converting, which DSD is per definition, is really only if you have material in DSD format only....

DSD support - waiting waiting and waiting.

What does the dam1021 print out when powering up, especially the Vxx status ?
It seems to be V+00

How do you control volume ?
I don't control the volume, I hope to set it "0" then leave volume control in pre-amp (I found that even the firmware supports volume larger than 0, when setting it to +10 (max), it will sound with signal lost.

What about the volume before converting to balanced ?
I forget this.

How are the boards powered ?
It's powered by separate power of +/-5v DC and +3.3V DC, the +1.2DC powers from a LDO source from +3.3V, I leave ISO 3.3V unpowered.

And of course check your software....
I use coaxial cable to play music from squeezebox duet, it also plays to another dam1021 (rev1) which also have exactly the same power mod like this one. (rev1 has vRef mod but rev2 that having problem now doesn't have any vref mod yet).

Also I double check the voltages (the red and yellow parts), all are either +4V or -4V.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-01-14 23.52.13.png
    Screenshot 2016-01-14 23.52.13.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 749
  • Screenshot 2016-01-14 23.53.07.png
    Screenshot 2016-01-14 23.53.07.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 734
  • Ah3MPGCBg6sStvdD40ttRSQx27K6Ktfo1e_3qLmIyAmm.jpg
    Ah3MPGCBg6sStvdD40ttRSQx27K6Ktfo1e_3qLmIyAmm.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
It seems to be V+00

I don't control the volume, I hope to set it "0" then leave volume control in pre-amp (I found that even the firmware supports volume larger than 0, when setting it to +10 (max), it will sound with signal lost.

I forget this.

It's powered by separate power of +/-5v DC and +3.3V DC, the +1.2DC powers from a LDO source from +3.3V, I leave ISO 3.3V unpowered.

I use coaxial cable to play music from squeezebox duet, it also plays to another dam1021 (rev1) which also have exactly the same power mod like this one. (rev1 has vRef mod but rev2 that having problem now doesn't have any vref mod yet).

Also I double check the voltages (the red and yellow parts), all are either +4V or -4V.

Ahh, a heavily modded board....

The new mute circuit in rev2 is sensing the power input. Without power there it's probably muted....

Let me think about a recommended work around. A quick fix is to connect PWR_A+ to something, maybe 5V is enough.

Actually, the muting circuit itself need negative power, which it gets from PWR_A-, -5V is probably enough there....

First thing to try is to ensure that PWR_A+ and PWR_A- get +-5V, not just being left unconnected....

Last edited:
Ahh, a heavily modded board....

The new mute circuit in rev2 is sensing the power input. Without power there it's probably muted....

Let me think about a recommended work around. A quick fix is to connect PWR_A+ to something, maybe 5V is enough.

Actually, the muting circuit itself need negative power, which it gets from PWR_A-, -5V is probably enough there....

First thing to try is to ensure that PWR_A+ and PWR_A- get +-5V, not just being left unconnected....
Thanks Soren. Can I just jump two wire in J2 between +5V and PWR_A+ and between -5V and PWR_A-?