(re)searching for a better preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just order the parts for my new intregrated dual mono block amp. I will use the Walter Jung preamp with four opa541 in the bridge parallel configuration. The opa541 will be set at unity and the preamp will have the total gain of 20x.

I want the use the opa541 because they are sample but will it be better to use four lm3886? All the components will be on a 6.5 x 5.5 inch veroboard,one for each channel or maybe I will put the power opamp on separate board and jump to preamp section.?:scratch:

Any ideas?

jaudio said:
Just order the parts for my new intregrated dual mono block amp. I will use the Walter Jung preamp with four opa541 in the bridge parallel configuration. The opa541 will be set at unity and the preamp will have the total gain of 20x.

I want the use the opa541 because they are sample but will it be better to use four lm3886? All the components will be on a 6.5 x 5.5 inch veroboard,one for each channel or maybe I will put the power opamp on separate board and jump to preamp section.?:scratch:

Any ideas?

just need to understand why you want to run anything in bridge or parallel mode. you only do that if you need power. rather up the gain of you poweramp. rather build Carlos's LM3886 or my version of Mauro Penasa's design - X-Calibre.

rudi said:

just need to understand why you want to run anything in bridge or parallel mode. you only do that if you need power. rather up the gain of you poweramp.
After I finish the amp,I will give it away and it is better to have more power in that case. I would like to hear the quality of the sound.

Because of the OPA541 bandwidth,it best to run at unity at least that what I believe.

rudi said:
rather build Carlos's LM3886 or my version of Mauro Penasa's design - X-Calibre.
I will try Carlos's LM3886,when I build new speakers(the speakers I have now are power hungry).

I been seeing the word"X-Calibre" but had no idea it was your's,other than the name I
know nothing about. I will do a search for more information.

jaudio said:

After I finish the amp,I will give it away and it is better to have more power in that case. I would like to hear the quality of the sound.

Because of the OPA541 bandwidth,it best to run at unity at least that what I believe.

the reason i ask is that the anything in parallel or bridged, normally sounds worse. alot less musical

jaudio, what 'power hungry' speakers do you have now?

Btw 20x gain on the AD815 preamp is definitely not a great idea, you are exceeding it's limits, even if you use a +/-18V PSU.
Remember, you have to count that it would have to amplify a 'standard' 2V line signal (from a CDP) and multiply it by 20x.

rudi said:

the reason i ask is that the anything in parallel or bridged, normally sounds worse. alot less musical
Im the only one I know that is really into audio,so when I give something away,it not really a problem. If it is loud they are Happy. I need the experience

carlosfm said:
jaudio, what 'power hungry' speakers do you have now?
Homemade,I will post pictures

carlosfm said:

Btw 20x gain on the AD815 preamp is definitely not a great idea, you are exceeding it's limits, even if you use a +/-18V PSU.
Remember, you have to count that it would have to amplify a 'standard' 2V line signal (from a CDP) and multiply it by 20x.
On Jung's schematics there is a gain of 5 for the ad831 and a gain of two for the AD815. I will incease the gain of the ad831(opa637) to 10,do you think that is a problem.
I have to check the output voltage for Ipod.

I've built my first version of this amazing pre. I've used Rudi's servo and I'm using knackered old lead acids ( +10v, -12v) for power. The sound is clean, fast, dynamic; miles better than a passive pot into the Mauro rev C.

I have a problem though; when I turn the volume pot towards its lowest setting it breaks into a vicious buzzing oscillation. I've tried bypassing the +Vs and -Vs with a 100nf polyester right on the pins and this improved things slighlty, but its still not right.
Any pointers?
I did short the output to a power rail on first power up, and I was surprised it still worked at all; could I have damaged the chip in such a way as to cause this problem?
Panelhead's sending me more chips, so I'll build another soon, but any help much appreciated.

Carlos, Rudi, great project. Kudos guys.

Hi George, I've got 100kohm to ground after the pot and 1kohm in series, as per Carlos' schematic.
What would happen if I change the value of the series resistor?

As far as breaking the chip, the data sheet warns of 'changes' if overheated, and with my short it got very hot very fast...:xeye:

Hi Float.

just to confirm. I have build 5 of these pre amps now and the Servo circuit does not affect it or makes in unstable. but you have to use a FET opamp. such as a OPA134 of OPA2134 for dual or something similar.

I would suggest to try another pot. it is very difficult to damage this chip. but i suppose possible ;)

Hi Rudi, I'm using the opa2134 and it seems to do the job perfectly. It drags the dc down to 0.1mv on the meter.
My source does output some DC, around 30mv; I did wonder if this could cause problems, but the servo seems to cope with this.

How close does the servo need to be to the circuit? I have it on a daughterboard with about an inch between the servos resistors and the main circuit.

float said:
Hi Rudi, I'm using the opa2134 and it seems to do the job perfectly. It drags the dc down to 0.1mv on the meter.
My source does output some DC, around 30mv; I did wonder if this could cause problems, but the servo seems to cope with this.

I do not know if this could mess things up. Maybe Carlos or somebody else can help out here but 30mv is not very promising. just for a test i would put a cap before the preamp, but expect that it would mess up the sound a bit

float said:

How close does the servo need to be to the circuit? I have it on a daughterboard with about an inch between the servos resistors and the main circuit.

the servo goes between the input (after the 1K) and the output (before the 33R) the distance is not that critical but keep it as short as possible just to sure

Hi Rudi, it does seem to be the source dc thats the problem.
I plugged a dvd player in with only 4mv offset and all is well (apart from cack sound:D )

Measuring the ad815 output dc with my usual source (30mv offset) shows fluctuating dc up to about 250mv when the vol pot is in a low position.

I really dont want to add coupling caps anywhere apart from the poweramp input; is there anything you could suggest to fix this?

Is it possible that the Carlos nulling circuit would better cope with the source offset?
One things for sure; this pre is worth the effort:)

Hi Float

both nulling circuit designs will have this problem. what is the source that is giving you such high outputs. a CD player?? or a DAC.

You have serious problems. decoupling caps might just be your only option unless you can find a way to use the DC servo to null the output of the source.

I have another problem to contend with. I have some serious hum on my new design. i seperated the ground planes of the power supply and what a nightmare. Well i will have it fixed soon

My problem source is a Marantz cd63 KI(modded) with no output caps. I may be able to fiddle with resistors after the dAC to lower dc.
Do you star ground everything in this pre?
I did separate signal L/R star grounds (including the servo opamp input) and linked these to the power ground star.

Good luck with your probs:smash:

yes i try and star everything and this time i might have painted myself into a corner. but i am sure i will soert it out soon.

my first guess is a solder bridge somewhere but i will have to go through everything again. :bawling:

" my pre amp hums because it doesn't know the lyrics "

Signal and power supply grounds

Rudi,
Try inserting a 1 - 20 ohm resistor inbetween the signal ground and your power grounds. I used to ground everything together and always was banishing hum by cleaning contacts.
Now I get 0.0 mv of hum on all my components. Guess I would break down and get a 4 1/2 digit meter it could be measured.

George

Hi guys,

I've not had chance to try it with my amp yet although I did take it to work and measured it on the scope:) I even had chance to run a high powered PA amp at work with it:devilr:

I can't say I heard any hum at work but I'll no more when I get chance to try it with my amps at home, I really hope its ok:bawling:

Anyway, thanks to Rudi,Carlos,George,Shehzad etc:D

Attachments

• ad815 top without daughter board.jpg
    ad815 top without daughter board.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 821
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.