(re)searching for a better preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More feedback

Spent more time evaluating the shunt volume pot (with the AD815 after as per Carlos, but using the ALW super-reg). Other ebenfits of thise setup include somewhat tighter bass and what strikes me as better imaging.

Worth trying, since it takes five minutes and is reversible...

I wouldn't use a pot any other way.

Now some time has passed, has anyone managed to compare the 'carlos compensator' to the 'rudi servo' ?

I've built my pre with the servo, but given the earlier suggestions that it uses the wrong values etc. and that it is very simple for a servo circuit, I can't help but wonder if it messes with the sound at all.:confused:

float said:
Now some time has passed, has anyone managed to compare the 'carlos compensator' to the 'rudi servo' ?

I've built 3 versions of circuits (carlos' nulling circuit, DC servo and "clean") with two chip types (ARB and AYS) . The best sounding one is with AYS chips I've bought from Panelhead (25 mv max DC offset) with no DC correcting. I built it as integrated amp and with no coupling caps at all but with Ci in GC to achieve unity gain for DC in GC (Rf=4K3 Rg=200 Ohm Ci=2x470uF antiserial with 2u2 MKP in parallel). LM 3886's are supplied through LT1083 (regulated +-26V for 4 Ohm speakers). +-15 V is achieved with LM317/337 from +-26V (hence AD815AYS has double regulated PS and it does help). The sound of this combination is really very hard to match. DC offset on speakers is 35mV - hardly worth mentioning.

Cheers all !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.