RCA Jack Bulk Purchase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Soldering Cardas

Well I'm always willing to learn. If folks have tried different RCAs and found the Cardas to be better, I'm willing to give them a shot.
Perhaps others can share their experience actually using these connectors. Am I the only one who had trouble soldering the Cardas jacks? I don't normally think that my Weller WTCPS is underpowered. Should I just use a higher temperature tip for this job? Any experience to share here?
---Gary

Yes, let's go for Cardas.
Could we get caps aswell?

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 678
Rodd,

I've been using the GRFA S Thick (short thick Rhodium over silver) for some time. I like these and would join the order. Paying you by PayPal would be convenient. Thanks.

They are tough to solder, I bump up my iron to around 900 degrees and just warm one area of the barrel outside the center connector for the ground leads--as the flanges take too long to properly heat up.

I also missed out on the binding posts; I'd like to maybe order 10+ pair of the CCGRS (or copper is OK too) if another round is possible.

Regards, Robert

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I spoke with Cardas today and Brian is checking with the boss on how they would want to make this deal. The binding post turned out much bigger then anyone expected. And they have agreement with their distributors which they have to respect. This next deal (if it is with Cardas as it seems to be heading) may be with a DIY dealer. Cardas would work with the dealer to provide us with a similar discount as we received on the binding post. His comment was, "Your guys (us) would be very happy."

I tried to call Vampire today as well, but got a massage machine. Apparently they are growing to fast to have someone manning the phones. I will try again tomorrow and we’ll see what happens, unless we are convinced that Cardas is the way to go.

I guess my vote would be for Cardas at this point.

Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Here’s the news!

Cardas is going to put us in touch with Kevin Haskins of DIYCable, who I also met at the CES. As a matter of boring fact, it was Kevin’s hands in the photo of the Adire subwoofer amp (exciting eh). (Find a link to the photos from the CES at www.roddyama.com ) I spoke with Kevin today and he is ready to help us out. I will give Brian and Kevin until next week to work out their particulars and come up with some pricing for us.

In the mean time I will start a wiki for the RCA jacks that will be offered in this deal. Please add your name and quantities of each item you’re interested in to the list. I will add the pricing next week. If you’re not happy with that pricing, you can remove your name from the list. I will not be taking orders until late next week, and at that time, I will require the orders by email.

There will be 4 female panel mounted RCA jacks offered. They are all “non-magnetic, eutectic Brass, Rhodium over Silver plated with a Gold plated Brass nut. The nut is on the outside in all cases. The 4 versions are:

1). GRFA L Thin – Long with a Thin Nut
2). GRFA L Thick – Long with a Thick Nut
3). GFRA S Thin – Short with a Thin Nut
4). GFRA S Thick – Short with a Thick Nut

Short threads/thick nut = 0.0" to .082"
Short threads/thin nut = .079" to .142"
Long threads/thick nut = .142" to .350"
Long threads/thin nut = .350" to .400"
An additional .037" can be gained by removing the internal washer, grounding the connector.

Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Pricing!

I now have the prices for the 4 models of RCA jacks being offered. I have been asked not to “publish” those prices, so to maintain the relationship, I will honor that request (everyone has to make a living). I realize you guys have been going on a little leap of faith when you put your name on the list without a price. I’m going to ask that you hold on to that trust and I assure you, you’ll be pleased with the final price. Just the fact that advertising the price is a real issue should give you an indication of how low it might be. If you were to assume similar discounts as on the binding post, you won’t be far off. Before anyone pays for anything, I will let each of you know the actual per piece prices.

As it stands right now, the wiki list is slowly growing. If you are interested, please enter your name and quantity desired to the wiki list. This will help to keep this bulk purchase alive. The deal is set, and it will happen, as long as there is an interest.

Thanks to Brian Von Bork of Cardas Audio, and Kevin Haskins of DIYCable for supporting our group.

Rodd Yamashita

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
This is to refresh this thread. Please look back to page 2 of this thread for photos and descriptions of the RCA Jacks being offered.

I now have the prices for the 4 models of RCA jacks being offered. I have been asked not to “publish” those prices, so to maintain the relationship, I will honor that request (everyone has to make a living). I realize you guys have been going on a little leap of faith when you put your name on the list without a price. I’m going to ask that you hold on to that trust and I assure you, you’ll be pleased with the final price. Just the fact that advertising the price is a real issue should give you an indication of how low it might be. If you were to assume similar discounts as on the binding post, you won’t be far off. Before anyone pays for anything, I will let each of you know the actual per piece prices.

As it stands right now, the wiki list is slowly growing. If you are interested, please enter your name and quantity desired to the wiki list. This will help to keep this bulk purchase alive. The deal is set, and it will happen, as long as there is an interest.

I will probably start taking orders via email some time late next week. I will keep everyone updated through this thead so look back on it from time to time.

Rodd Yamashita

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.