RaspyFi/Volumio - Turn raspberry Pi into Audiophile audio Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Kevin, which version of Doedes dac have you built?
I have the older one, whith stacks of TDA1543 converters, and was just thinking in the same direction. But instead of using USB for connection, I would like to use an I2s signal.

I've built the new one the 1794. Doede is developing a new board for it, to use either the USB input or spdif, switchable. If you want to use i2s then the connections are available on the existing board.
Expected delivery for the new boards is Feb.

I'm planning to connect an ESS9023 directly to the PI, with an external clock module... I hope in 2 weeks to heat up my soldering iron... If this works, it would be a really bang for the buck combo...
I'm also thinking to contact the developers of MiniDSP to support it natively by Volumio...

Hi,
This sounds interesting too since I have 2 9023 Dac module with i2s input and RPi with I2s output would fit nicely as a streamer player. Please let us know how it works out.

Thanks

Wow!!!!

I just uploaded Volumio to my Udoo, connected my Xmos with DAC. Configuration is a total breeze! I'm currently using Mpod client for my iPhone 5 and it found the Volumio server automatically and configured itself. Adding the Samba share was too easy!

Currently playing some HD recordings and it is really good! I'm planning to buy more devices to try them out but more like BeagleBone Black ot Cubox. RPI is a little weak for higher resolution files on Samba shares so I'll still with the more powerful devices.

Continue the good work on this project!

Happy New Year!
Do

Last edited:
Wow!!!!

I just uploaded Volumio to my Udoo, connected my Xmos with DAC. Configuration is a total breeze! I'm currently using Mpod client for my iPhone 5 and it found the Volumio server automatically and configured itself. Adding the Samba share was too easy!

Currently playing some HD recordings and it is really good! I'm planning to buy more devices to try them out but more like BeagleBone Black ot Cubox. RPI is a little weak for higher resolution files on Samba shares so I'll still with the more powerful devices.

Continue the good work on this project!

Happy New Year!
Do

Hi,
Can we get I2S output from Beaglebone black?

Is anyone having crackling issues playing FLAC off of a NAS? MP3s work perfectly but there's some issues with lossless. There's some adjustment available in the NAS configuration settings in Volumio - I guess a larger number would be a larger buffer?

KM

Interesting coincidence! :) Yesterday I did first quick test with Rpi, HRT microStreamer DAC, streaming from QNap NAS and outputting to my ~8 year old Philips MCM8 Micro Hi-Fi System, to test if this combination sounds better than Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen (and it does!)

Anyway, I had this crackling issue you are talking about, but the setting in 'Playback' section fixed it. Don't remember exact name, but it talks about possible crackling issues is some DAC's.

Is anyone having crackling issues playing FLAC off of a NAS? MP3s work perfectly but there's some issues with lossless. There's some adjustment available in the NAS configuration settings in Volumio - I guess a larger number would be a larger buffer?

KM

I believe you can adjust the size of the cluster size in the advance properties of the mounted volume, this to match the ones on the NAS volume.

Do

Interesting coincidence! :) Yesterday I did first quick test with Rpi, HRT microStreamer DAC, streaming from QNap NAS and outputting to my ~8 year old Philips MCM8 Micro Hi-Fi System, to test if this combination sounds better than Sonos Play 5 in the kitchen (and it does!)

Anyway, I had this crackling issue you are talking about, but the setting in 'Playback' section fixed it. Don't remember exact name, but it talks about possible crackling issues is some DAC's.

Is it the CM6631 fix you are talking about?

Do

KM

I had problems similar to this running the raspyfi version, but found a suprising solution, posted here (#2264).

Am installing volumio now, hoping the same applies.

I'm looking for guidance please.

I've just built a DDDAC and will fit a streamer into the same case to give me an Ethernet to USB to analogue out. So 1 box; Ethernet in, analogue out. I need to decide on the streamer part. I'm currently using a Squeezebox Touch with good results but I'm looking to get at least as good SQ preferably better SQ.
It's 30 years since I was into CLI, and even then only wrote batch files in DOS and I don't think I'm able nor do I want to enter the realms of Geekdom to learn a Linux language, so I need a simple entry into streaming.

Hey Kevin, and others interested here.
just came across this page :
http:// https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/List-of-USB-DACs
where they report a lot of USB dac working with the Rpi. Amongst them is the DDDAC1794. And if it works on a pi, it might work in Volumio as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.