RaspyFi/Volumio - Turn raspberry Pi into Audiophile audio Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When people say that the rpi is slow, does this mean it will take long to load tracks and browse through a 500gb library?
Will it have any problem with large files like high resolution music loading?
I'm tempted to try it with a hifi berry dac, for a simple no nonsense music server for the living room.

I don't know what people mean about SLOW but, I ordered second RPi to connect it to i2s dac and all HD music plays perfect up to 192 kHZ and is not slow. For 70 euro RPi+Hifiberry that a perfect music server you can get. And believe me you wont be disappointed. Check out my project :RPI - a set on Flickr

Could you detail where you bought the DAC part, case and regulator? I like the format.

Thanks
Do

Dac is from diyinhk.com PCM5102A same as hifiberry, case is from ebay, a 11$ aluminium case, and regulator is from diyinhk. You can check in group buy thread for Ian's fifo kit, and ask there for his ultra low noise regulator, because is very small and cheap. I also used an lm317 pre-regulator board and adjusted it to 6.5 volts, because if you use it without it it will get verry hot. I advice you to get hifiberry and 1 low noise regulator from Ian's fifo group buy thread, and email him for super regulator.

I'm waaaay late to this thread as I've only recently joined diyaudio despite doing this stuff for about 20 years.

I use an rpi running mpd as my music source, flacs on a 2.5" drive via a USB/SATA adapter that has a separate/direct power connection to the HDD. It all lives in a 1U rack case with the amplifiers and HT gear. Remote controlled from smartphones and other mpd clients like sonata on my desktop. Currently running plain debian on it.

It's mostly excellent, but with some caveats:
- if it's running bittorrent in the background, you can get very occasional dropouts due to lack of USB hard drive bandwidth, though I haven't tried adjusting any process priorities or read-buffer sizes.
- the HDMI PCM output is excellent with any DAC that supports HDMI audio streams, in my case the HT receiver.
- I tried a 24/96 USB-SPDIF adapter which had worked perfectly on a PC, but the poor USB throughput from rpi means that it crackled frequently at any sample rate, presumably due to tiny buffer underruns. It would play a 96kHz flac happily though.
- it does sometimes crash (once every 2 months?) but I'm running what is now very old firmware blobs, kernel, etc that for sure need to be upgraded. I should probably try raspyfi but my build waaay predates that: I got my pi from the very first batches and haven't upgraded it the couple of years since then. Maybe that'd fix my USB/SPDIF issues?

Hi mikelangeloz,

When do you plan the next available build of Volumio for Udoo Quad?

Thanks
Do

mikelangeloz,

You said the Udoo Quad was your platform of choice but it would be great if you could update the build to 1.1 Beta like the Raspi and Compulab. I bought the Udoo because of this. I know you're busy but it would be great

Thanks
Do

I'm currently caring the port of cubieboard2 and cubietruck... But expect a revised Udoo version very soon, I hope in the weekend...
What is the feature you are expecting?

I'm hoping for the following:
Can import DSD 128 files (only DSD 64 imports for some reason)
Can import M4A Alac files (those are skipped)
Play music from USB thumb drive (Hard disk work but not thumb drive)
Realtime update of time on mobile devices (if not using mPod or mPad)

Thanks for everything!
Do

mikelangeloz,

I think I read somewhere that you plan to test a bunch of board in the lab?? have you done those test?? and is there a difference between a Raspberry PI, a BBB a Udoo or a cubietruck.

I'm about to jump in and I might go with a Cubietruck. Do you plan for a release soon for this board?? Anyway If you've test all the board and foe some reason some other board have a clear sonic adventage I'll go for that one.

Also for the Cubietruck I need the I2S out will it be done???

Thank you for contribution to this huge project!!!

Zoula

mikelangeloz,

I think I read somewhere that you plan to test a bunch of board in the lab?? have you done those test?? and is there a difference between a Raspberry PI, a BBB a Udoo or a cubietruck.

I'm about to jump in and I might go with a Cubietruck. Do you plan for a release soon for this board?? Anyway If you've test all the board and foe some reason some other board have a clear sonic adventage I'll go for that one.

Also for the Cubietruck I need the I2S out will it be done???

Thank you for contribution to this huge project!!!

Zoula

Yep, I did several tests and results were intriguing. I tested them in different conditions, using ramplay, usb, hardware mixer vs software mixer. The tests reported that with i2s dacs on Pi there was no difference in jitter tests when those conditions changed, that means that i2s is a jitter proof interface.
When using USB DACs (used Odac as benchmark) the Pi performance was poorer compared to newer platforms.
The best performers (integer resolution and jitter) were Imx6 based platforms, such as Compulab and Udoo. Udoo was slightly better, with very low jitter.
BBB and old Cubox were better than Pi but slightly more jitter prone than Imx6.
I'm now computing these measurements, and writing an article on that. The results can be also affected by different kernel versions used on platforms, so they are not 100% hardware related outcomes.
For cubietruck I think we just need i2s kernel modules, if they are avaiable there should be no prob at all!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.