Rare Opportunity - Acoustat Model 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just on the AC voltage question;

"US mains voltage is regularly stated to be 110V, 115V, 117V and 120V. Various changes over the years have occurred, and the nominal voltage is supposed to be 120V. Don't be at all surprised if you measure any or all of the voltages quoted ... at the same wall outlet but at different times of the day! This is completely normal."

I found a variac at work and am going to try it tonight.

If the speaker were designed to run on 110VAC/5KV, then 120VAC will produce 5.45KV instead of 5KV. However, the design should accept at least 10% of mains voltage variation as standard.

Having said all that, I'll try tonight to see the effects.

At some points, it will stop acring. (Below 5KV) However, it would also reduce the sensitivity of the speakers.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I added another Diode string on my Acoustat MK-121 interfaces to get over 6kv and have no arcing issues. It should not arc at 5kv or 6kv. Maybe at 7kv or 8kv you may arc...

The variac is more or less a check of your stepdown tranny, even if it was tested at 120vac.

OK.
I did not use the variac since I do not believe the AC input voltage is an issue.

Finally I applied the heat-gun-fix and it worked! I found some winkles around the corners. The popping noise has stopped completely for the time being.

The next thing I am going to do is the modificatiion of the crossover circuit.

Dear Bear;

You are right again! The pops are coming back this morning. The heat gun did fix the issue temporary, but it is not a final fix. The humidity is high, but why the pops only happens to the top right and left panels on both speakers?
The other thing is that membranes are becoming stretched and easier to contact the stators when deep bass comes in.
I don't what is fix for this.

Someone wrote this in another forum in regards to the Acoustat speakers.

"The HS65 does not develop enough tension in the plane of the diaphragm to stay perfectly stable and that is the reason there are felt pads on the back side of the panel they add some resistive air load to help keep the diaphragm stable under hard drive. "

I took the pads off to vacumm the panels. I now can not play the music loud anymore, otherwise the top 2 panels will have cracking sound.

Re-moveing of the pads is a Mod....
you can keep better top end an get the pad sourport... by just puting tape on the back of the panels....the felt pads eat to much top end for most...but most dont have 12 panels playing at once like you do....the tape is eze if you dont like you can just pull it off an put the pads back on....Some like duck tape... i like paper tape...
good luck

Last edited:
The problem with tape is that it causes reflections at frequencies where the distance between the diaphragm and the "tape" form 1/4 wavelength and other multiples. This causes aberrations in the frequency response. It happens that this is in the high frequencies.

The benefit of the felt is that it absorbs the HF and minimizes these resonant reflections while doing the job of adding load at LF...

_-_-bear

The problem with tape is that it causes reflections at frequencies

I find a lot of problems with most ESL setup....just not the tape.

But thanks for all an any info on ESLs ...
If i had to live with the felt pads on... i would not be using the Acoustat panels for over 25-30 years.......if it sounds better.... that where i live...
My ear an eyes like a lot of things that are not quit right too others or on paper....
But if you dont go you dont know!...
.An puting the felt pads back on is a littel harder than a littel tape....
I only am saying what myself an others have found....By living with Acoustats....good luck

Last edited:
Sounds about right....you got a lot going on with 12 panels...4 121 interfaces an the amps an room to to be in....
As for the pads... thay work great as some say if your runing the Acoustat Panels the way a lot of people think there only good for ...just as bass drivers ...from like 500hz down... Lot of people think Acoustas ...are too dark sounding...
I do run Magnepan 6' true ribbons with my Acoustats but i run the panels fulrang.... only crossover is a cap on the ribbons....good luck

I also have one pair of Mag 1.7. I purchased from an Australian dealer about a year ago. Compare with the Acoustat, I prefer the Acoustat, not just the bass but middle range as well. Since I can not hear anything above 16KHz so it does not matter much if it rolled off around that freq.

I put the pads back on and they sound good to me. I may change the socks some stage.

I am going to order the parts so that I can mod the interface units.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.