Rare Opportunity - Acoustat Model 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Acoustat 6

I purchased this pair and they are on their way to Australia. I paid $1700.00usd for the shipping and was told they would arrive here around 4/11/2012.

I never used Acoustat speakers in the past, so I may ask you questions in the future. Hope it is not too much of the hassle.:):):)

Nice score, audioboat. Personally, I think the wide AND tall Acoustats are best, hopefully they float your boat. I suspect you'll want to upgrade the transformer interfaces. This is a great forum for Acoustat info, as is the Planar Asylum.

Andy, do you have info on the number of other Acoustats produced?

Nice score, audioboat. Personally, I think the wide AND tall Acoustats are best, hopefully they float your boat. I suspect you'll want to upgrade the transformer interfaces. This is a great forum for Acoustat info, as is the Planar Asylum.

Upgrade? Are you talking about the coupling capacitors or something else?

Yes, the caps are a primary upgrade, along with the "C Mod" if it isn't present already. If your trannies have Monster Cable wiring you'll want to replace them, since they corrode, although I think that was probably not still in production when the Model 6 & 8 were released. Other possibilities are replacing the caps & diodes in the voltage multiplier; measuring the preferred setting of the high frequency control rheostat and then replacing it with a fixed resistor; replacing the resistors; new binding posts. Some people bypass the fuses. The electronics are quite old & can benefit from modern components, which can breathe new life & longevity into the speakers. I did many of these mods on my transformer driven 2+2 with excellent results, and plan to do major upgrades to the Acoustat Servo amps I'm now using, as budget permits.

I have no doubt they will sound beautiful as-is, but they can be improved without too much headache or cost. This IS diyAudio, after all. :D

FYI, there are several threads on Acoustats here, with good advice on what to do for the interfaces.

IMO, the *best* thing you can run them with is a high power *triode* tube amp. Something like a pair of 811A in PP... Finding good solid state amplification for Acoustats is more difficult, since many solid state amps do not like to work into the reactive load that the Acoustat looks like. Most of the standard commercial amps imo anyhow sound horrific on Acoustats.

The Acoustat TNT amps are pretty good... but not in the same league as a high power triode tube amp for this load.

As always, YMMV.

Btw, expect serious bass... :D

_-_-bear

PS. you must replace the "crossover" caps for 100% polypropylene. And as mentioned check the B+ for the full 5kv... or else shotgun replace the diode multiplier string, and the ceramic caps (go for 10kv caps)

:D

I purchased this pair and they are on their way to Australia. I paid $1700.00usd for the shipping and was told they would arrive here around 4/11/2012.

I never used Acoustat speakers in the past, so I may ask you questions in the future. Hope it is not too much of the hassle.:):):)

Congratulations on your purchase of the Model 6's. The potential for upgrades will depend on the particluar vintage of the speaker, as well as what mods may have been done after original manufacture.

Do keep in mind that each speaker has two interface units, and therefore you'll need a total of four channels of identical amplification. It is NOT recommended to parallel two interfaces on one amplfier channel.

Feel free to ask more questions once you receive your speakers and get them set-up.

Sorry, I don't have any production numbers for each Acoustat model. I don't think such a tally was ever kept. I just know that some of the very large models (6, 8, 66/6600) were produced only as orders were received, and that amounted to only a handful per year. It was always quite the event when an order for one of the large models came in!

I just looked at the eBay auction again, and see that the speakers have the Medallion upgrade. That's good news, since Model 6/8 transformers are very difficult, if not impossible, to find. That also means that any original Monster Cable that might have been in there was removed. That wire did tend to oxidize badly, so it was always replaced when the factory did the Medallion upgrade.

Finaly My Acoustat Model 6 turned up.

I connect them and they do work. However, there is an issue with both of them. (I am not sure if it is an issue)

I can hear a pop sometimes form the panels. (not just in one area) It does not seem to effect the sound that much, but you can hear it.

Is that normal due to the panels been discharged for more than a month now?

These speakers came from USA by sea and this may also contributed to the pops? It is like arcing over but hard to tell.

The origional owner never mentioned this before or after my purchase.

Can anybody offer some advise on this?

Sounds like the 3 panels on the top......are ran on one of the 121 interface..
find out what drives what.....one for top an one for bottem....open up 121 for the bottem panels an ck if the one of the driver feeds has feel off coming from the panels too the mixer board.... the wires that look like there comeing out of the two res. 50k 100w...the wire in the middel is for the bias feed..... if any of these wires are off....this well keep them from playing... In this pic theres NO wires..going to the panels but this is what the inside looks like.....good luck

Attachments

• 212688d1299318205-acoustat-answer-man-here-red-medallion-c-solen%5B1%5D[1].jpg
    212688d1299318205-acoustat-answer-man-here-red-medallion-c-solen%5B1%5D[1].jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 217
Joined 2005
Paid Member
They may need a good vacuuming? Maybe something between the bias wires and the diaphragm?

tyu - do you have four panels driving off the 2 panel bass tap?

Actually, nevermind - the panels must be the newer panels with more wires, not the 3 wire panels...

Last edited:
I openned up all 4 transformers and they look the same as the image posted by the other member.

I did vacuuming on one side only and planned to do the other side this evening.

Heat gun fix - Can the member provide a bit more infomation on this?

The speakers were shipped from USA by sea. Will this contribute to the arcing?

I left the panels in charging all night and the situation has not improved in any way.

I'll post some images here tonight so that we can have a discussion.

Heat Gun Solution;
1. Temp Wattage of the heat gun and estimated distance between the speaker and the gun?
2. Do I need to take the socks off or leave them when the heat gun fix is applied?
3. Duration of the heat application;
4. Single side operation or both sides required?

I ask these questions since I never done one before. The last thing I want it to happen is to burn a hole in the millde of the panel.

I have had Acoustats for 35 years....i think that the panels have dust in them an this is what is poping ...it leting high V leek off ....In Shiping some dust moved around...
{So the Heat gun is last thing i would do!}...

If all elc fales then heat!........
If the panels are over headed it Can[ KiLL ]the panels!

.There are !000s of 30year old panel out here working fine that have never been heated.....you dont know that the panels need to be heated..
.But after 25 years i NO thay need to Have a good vacuuming or even a good washing......you well have to take the socks off to do this right...An pull the panels out to wash....An yes all ESL panels can be washed...there is 3 of the same panels you have in the tub....Look at the Crud in the water....You can see with oll that Crud off... the crud slows the sound down... the panels can sound new agin....Good luck

Here Is a LOT of INfo..... http://www.audiocircuit.com/Forum/Electrostatic-Speakers

Attachments

• AcoustatPanelsBathing[1].jpg
    AcoustatPanelsBathing[1].jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.