Rare Opportunity - Acoustat Model 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had Acoustats for 35 years....i think that the panels have dust in them an this is what is poping ...it leting high V leek off ....In Shiping some dust moved around...
{So the Heat gun is last thing i would do!}...

Dunno why this wasn't mentioned earlier, its like a bug zapper! oorrrr, a HV cap on the back top of a CRT picture tube arcing out.

Where did you purchase these speakers if I may be so bold as to ask?

Last edited:
My advice: a thorough front and back vacuuming would be your first order of business. Just be gentle, you're trying to remove dust, not the stators or membrane.

This will require removing the socks, which is a tedious chore, but not particularly difficult. It's really just a matter of removing a zillion staples. (I think the Model 6 covers are secured in the same fashion as the 2+2.) I would then either wash the socks (I washed my 2+2 covers in the washing machine with no ill effects) or replace them with a more acoustically transparent material. I replaced my 2+2 socks with Spandex stretched 2X; I got clearer highs, and couldn't tell the difference compared to naked panels, while the stock material dulled the presentation somewhat. Everyone who has seen them both preferred them to stock, visually. And you have many colors to chose from, even patterns if you like.

Once nude, try to listen and hopefully locate the pops. Use a flashlight to see if anything looks amiss, but I would guess a good vacuum job should dislodge any debris.

At the least, inspect the frames for problems and check that all screws holding the panels are properly secured.

tyu makes a good point about washing the panels in water. Jim Strickland (founder of Acoustat) said it was perfectly fine to wash the panels with water, I think he might have even said you could wash them in the shower. Probably best to rinse with distilled water, though. Being vacuumed and washed would almost certainly clear up any clag causing arcing.

Acoustat used heat guns to tension the panels when they were built, and periodically the panels can be re-tensioned with a heat gun, although it can all end in tears if you aren't careful. I melted a hole in one, but fortunately I had extras. But I successfully re-tensioned about half a dozen panels and the bass and overall presentation tightened up, so to speak, and a couple of them stopped popping. I do have some panels that AFAIK have never been re-tensioned which are all fine (and older than your panels) so hopefully you're OK there. This only need be done on one side. Look for crinkles in the clear Mylar around the perimeters, and they tend to show up in the corners.

If these speakers float your boat, it's worth putting some time and money into revitalizing these speakers. That includes transformer interfaces, as well. This should all improve the reliability and will definitely will improve the performance. They're not for everyone, but the big Acoustats can be pure magic.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help!

I did the vacuuming part and it help a lot. The popping noise is still there once in a while, but much less frequent. I don't think I need to use the heat gun fix just now.

I have also checked the HV and it looks clean as normal.

I put on Max Bass CD and run for a few rounds to get rid of some dust during the shipping.

The poping you have is a leak of High V...from the ..5k bias..[.The poping can be coming from the 121 interfaces on the Mixer board]...before you pull the dress off...... dust....it looks lite black an bilds up on the wire at the Mixer doard.. i take a paint brush 3-6"wide an just brus away the dust on the mix board...a hair can case this poping-leaking.... I do this just to be safe....you cant even see it some times...
You do have 4ea 121 interfaces in your setup.. most have only two....
All the panels are the same some have 3 wire so have 5....some bias wire on the panels are yelow-red stripe....other have all white...goodluck

Sometimes the wires on the grid have come loose.

That will reduce the distance to the diaphragm and cause arcs or rattling. You can spot the wires if you look closely. More often than not this happens at the ends of the cells...

One might be able to reglue them with a combination of nylon fishing line or nylon thread to pull the wire into place, and styrene glue. Styrene glue is simply styrene plastic (clear in most cases - has no filler or colorant so won't be conductive) dissolved in a solvent. The "slow" solvent glue that works on acrylic and styrene plastics will do a good job if you make ur own. You might be able to use "coil dope" which is often a styrene in solvent material.

If you do this, you would have to work on your back with the cells held above you to prevent drips onto the diaphragm... PROTECT YOUR EYES!!! You definitely do NOT WANT styrene + solvent in your eyes!

_-_-bear

I have taken the socks off and vacuum the panels front and back. It helps a bit, but the popping still there. You can see the acring when all the lights off. It happens to the top right and left panels, but not the middle one.

I cleaned the panel a little bit without having them in the bath tub.

I could not see any lose wires at the time, however I'll double check again later.

I think the panel may need the heat gun fix, but don't want to burn a hole onto it since I do not have even one spare panel.
I just don't know what temperature the film can sustain? Can other member provide some help here?

Acoustat only put the GUN too there panels.......BEfore the Coating was on!
You Can See it the pic here.....
The other Pic is a panel that DOSE NOT WORK anymore....From the HeatGun treatment.....It look Find from the out side of the Panel when your Doin it...
An if you are LUCKy...it may still work.....but let this be the Last thing you do...i have had a lest 16 panels in 35 years... not [one had to have the gun put to them].....But some could have been guned to get the mylar good an tute....Just a littel reakel in the mylare in the corners well not case any prob....but thay all work fine after washing....So get two are more extra panels an have at it....gun it up...hehe
an i never had any wires come lose....Good luck

Attachments

• Nov20_2002_01%2020[2].jpg
    Nov20_2002_01%2020[2].jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 941-ACO-Factory_Tour-P-B08[1].jpg
    941-ACO-Factory_Tour-P-B08[1].jpg
    81 KB · Views: 165
so you say.....

could not see any lose wires at the time, however I'll double check again later...

Between the loose wires and the conductive coating

This is great ....
i like your fix....if this works ...i mint not glue...
i got away from the 1+1s an the 2+2...
1. there 8' tall an thats were all the heat is in the room up top... i gess in your case that what did in with lose wires...
2.the only thing i hear diff from the M4..M3...is if i stand,....i dont..but one thing i do know is the 121 interfases work there best an sound there best with at least 3-4 panels on ea.......with the wires tied or glud you may get 20 more years out of the Acoustats...Give us some pic if you can.....
good luck...................long live Acoustats...

Nice detective work, audioboat. Looks like you're well on your way to solving the issues. I personally found that dealing with a few small issues with my various Acoustats forced me to learn more about them and become more familiar with all their aspects.

A few pinholes shouldn't affect the sound, some of my panels have little holes & I can't hear a difference compared to the ones without them. I would follow bear's advice and you should be good to go. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

This is what I found so far;

1. Acring is taking place in all areas, the top ringt and left panels are the most effected;
2. the top and bottom middle panels are the least effected. In fact, it only happened once on one speaker;
3. Acring is not limited to the loose wires area only, it happens to some other areas as well;
4. You can see some acring at night, small pops you can not see;
5. Vacuumed panels a few times, it helped the first time and no great improvements after that;
6. If you leave the panels on charge, they intend to have less arcing occurance after a few hours;
7. I have not washed the panels as yet, I am not sure if this will fix the issues completely;
8. I communicated with the original owner during the weekend. He told me he never had issues as such during his ownership of the speakers;
10. When the speakers play music at a realistic level, you don't really notice the popping noise. It only becomes noticeable when you play the music at very low level at night;
11. I am not sure what to do next since loose wires are not the only cause of this acring between the mylar film and the wires. I'll fix the wires regardless when the glue arrives;
12. I do need advise from the members who used/repaired/serviced Acoustat speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.