Pyle 21" driver: Surely this cannot be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no info on the Pyle 21-incher, but the thread got me thinking of 18"-36" drivers, and an old internet thread in which the author described installing one of these in a closet door, using the closet as the enclosure. I imagine it like a space capsule with everything in the house needing to be velcro'd in place.

if you look it up at Parts Express/subwoofers
and scroll down the reviews
in one review you will find measured specs
tnx
this is wat they measured

T/S parameters, as measured by the big horn guys:
Fs: 31.61 Hz
Re: 5.59 ohms
Qms: 4.03
Qes: 0.38
Qts: 0.34
Vas: 9.69 cu. ft.
SPL: 95 dB 1W/1m
Power handling: 400 watts RMS/600 watts max
a bit differend than the pdf
a good preformance/dollar imho.

cheap ?
yeah, for a 21" it is
but who needs more than 18"
at about 100USD more
get the real thing, RCF L18200N

could you expound on this Tinny, Link ?

I have no info on the Pyle 21-incher, but the thread got me thinking of 18"-36" drivers, and an old internet thread in which the author described installing one of these in a closet door, using the closet as the enclosure. I imagine it like a space capsule with everything in the house needing to be velcro'd in place.

Many moons ago played around with Hartley 24" and EV 30" monsters. The ev was best when x-overed at about 60 hz anything above this created too much distortion , overall the Hartley 24 was the better choice...

regards,

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
could you expound on this Tinny, Link ?

you will find it on RCF site ;)

well, it's aimed at studio use, etc
'lowish' Fs
medio qts
good Xmax

my point is that I would rather have real pro quality
the Pyle is what I consider cheaper 'semi-pro'
that said, if I lived in US and could buy it that cheap
I would consider it, just for the fun of having a 21" :D

I was looking through the bowels of MCM electronics when I came across this:

Pyle Performance Optimized 21'' Pro Audio Die Cast Woofer | PDW21250 | Pyle

My god! What a beast! Or is it?

The blisteringly high SPL, 22hz resonant frequency, 4" voice coil, and 1000w rms rating leave me wondering: Why is this only $200?

I mean, in a big enough cabinet, this would be amazing for bass guitar with a big 5x7" horn bullet tweeter crossed at 3khz... but I can't help but think that it's too good to be true.

I know pyle sells a lot of $20 junk that blows up at half of its output rating, but their pro series looks pretty serious. However, they don't even have this driver on their website, and they definitely don't have a data sheet for it. So I'm wondering, does anyone here have any experience with this driver, or their 18" or 15" drivers of the same series? I'd love to know if this might be looking into.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm new and not sure where, if anywhere, stage audio discussion is tolerated.
hi,
I was also looking at this for BASS parts express has it and all the specs Too!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
please, again, do note that the Pyle factory specs is a bloddy joking scam
none of them fit anything in real life
they may misplace Fs for system rolloff -12db
and probably even incorporate corner placed room gain
and sensitivity
I have seen both 100db, and even 107db
with Fs of 22hz this would be the most fantastic woofer
actually, it would be a world sensation

fact is, Fs is around 30hz
and sensitivity around 95db
which are common pro specs
and any 15-18" can match that

well, it could still be a good woofer tho
only, I dont trust people listing such fantasy specs
meaning, can I trust it to be reliable quality

hey,
Yes it's amazing,do read some of the reviews people put up on it,Most music don't live @ 22hz anyway and for the money not bad right I will have 2 of them mounted just likt the home wrecker boxes are ,wont need 600 watts to them,I have 2 cheapo subs mounted like that they viberate the rug on the floor,lol at only 120 watts,so if these stay together it will be great bass!!!!

please, again, do note that the Pyle factory specs is a bloddy joking scam
none of them fit anything in real life
they may misplace Fs for system rolloff -12db
and probably even incorporate corner placed room gain
and sensitivity
I have seen both 100db, and even 107db
with Fs of 22hz this would be the most fantastic woofer
actually, it would be a world sensation

fact is, Fs is around 30hz
and sensitivity around 95db
which are common pro specs
and any 15-18" can match that

well, it could still be a good woofer tho
only, I dont trust people listing such fantasy specs
meaning, can I trust it to be reliable quality

Much better woofer system .....and my choice , not 21 inch but xmax 22MM

TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer

Sorry if I looked like a proponent for Pyle, I have dealt with them for quite a while. It has been nothing but a huge pain in the *** trying to get info out of them concerning their products. From the large variety of items I have gotten from them I would say that 30% has been the failure rate across the board from outdoor weather proof speakers to the competition car amplifiers(Lanzar).
I do have to say that when they do get a product right it does work quite well. They really should have stuck with the re-branded Eminence woofers.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have one left, other one had a cold solder joint problem. Took a look @ the coil overhang awhile ago, with my pen laser and estimate 10mm Xmax. Originally burned it in with a 1200 wrms amp just below clip @ 20 Hz for a 8 hrs, it didn't hit the backplate and I estimate about 1 1/2" p-p mechanical limit.
I would put up a hornresp sheet for a tapped sim if I knew how to. Seems like a good unit. 129 dB(+1-2) from 33-94 Hz in 430 litres.

ah, you give valued and weighted info
and what/where is the cold solder joint you mention ? :confused:
one left ? means the other is trashed ?
was it new, or due to hard use ?

hey Wayne
ah, you like that one
with 24hz Fs, why do you think 28hz Fs of the RCF is too high
bloddy hell, with such low sensitivity the cone must weigh a ton
then I think I will take the 21" Pyle ;)

Hmmm never saw an RCF woofer with 28 hz FS, the one mentioned was 36 , hence my comment..The 12 " cone is alloy and it has an 22.5 mm xmax...:D

The 21 inch would require a pretty big room for it to work as effective as this 12, my current room is only 14' x 22' x8' and the efficiency is fine by me very similar to my current panels with room gain it will require only 60 watts of the current 2 KW on tap for the required sound pressure level....;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hmmm never saw an RCF woofer with 28 hz FS, the one mentioned was 36 , hence my comment..

RCF - L18P200-N

it clearly says 28hz Fs, 10mm Xmax ;)

I looked back at my post, and I did write L18200N, and forgot the P
should have been L18P200-N, sorry
maybe the other without P is the old version
I now see the point of posting a link :D:clown:

peaking from 1khz could present a problem

ah, you give valued and weighted info
and what/where is the cold solder joint you mention ? :confused:
one left ? means the other is trashed ?
was it new, or due to hard use ?

They were both new. When I burned them in , they sat for about a year in their boxes til I had the time to make some boxes for them(was building other boxes for other drivers). When I had them mounted and took them outside to do some frequency and power measurements the one didn't work. I did a continuity test on it ...dead , so I sent it back and they came to the conclusion that it was a loose / corroded connection from the sewn in leads @ the coil.
I was told it would cost almost as much to fix (including shipping) as buying a new unit (it was out of warranty about a year). So I took a loss. Hence I only have the one left.

The crappy thing is when I first got them I was going off the factory specs and couldn't get a good low end response in the box size I had to work with. I then saw several independent T/S measurements for it ,used those and did get a good frequency response in WinISD.
I have the facility for measuring the T/S parameters but my sound room is packed to the gills with sound equipment ( no room to move)! So I will have to wait to summertime to be able to test them and others. :

Here's an even cheaper one!
MCM Audio Select 21'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 800W RMS | 55-2985 (552985) | MCM Audio Select
after all, who needs to buy a pair at $227 each when you can spend $160 each and get 3? :eek:

Alas poor Pyle, I knew them well, when they were a real company with their own factory in the nice little town of Huntington, Indiana. Coincidentally, before I ever worked in audio, once as a teen I walked Stephanie Pyle through O'Hare Airport.

[Ugh. I just Googled to check the name, and found
"Stephanie A. Pyle, 45, of Huntington, died at 10:00 PM on Thursday, February 17, 2005 from injuries sustained following a house fire at her residence. " :(:(:(]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.