Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

apassgear said:

Sheesh Steen... What's the RPM on those shafts? :D

Beautiful work, again and again, I give my vote for best implemente Pumpkin... so far. :cool:

ZM should be proud of you...

Thanks Tony:) The shafts are low RPM, so should last a lifetime or two....
Naa, ZM is not easily impressed. Dont know why, considering the messy stuff he builds, himself....he-he....

jacco vermeulen said:

Greenies ? Yukkin Ugly !

Greenies are ugly indeed, so they fit nicely into this Pumpkin, which afterall is a vegestable. Considering the overall colourscheme, I beleive a green LED is appropriate=> Black-Blue and a tad of Racing green to spice it up a tad. Add a little green LED light to shine the whole thing up and you have an eyepleaser;) A slight green glow from 20+ LEDS within, combined with the "discrete" green LED on the faceplate sure looks nice to me:cool: The Erocco-teak's veins plays nicely in that greenish light.

:)

BTW Obviously I am back to working on too many projects again:smash: Here is a pic of my USB efforts so far;) I wanna try the USB streaming audio and I had this DAC lying around and it sounds pretty good indeed! I better install a buffer for it though, I am not sure it sounds its best, driving a 5 meter cable with an output impedance of some 50K....:devilr: Its brentw's DAC, in case you wonder. Some TI USB receiver with a TDA 1543 DAC chip.
This is the homepage: http://myaudiosystem.com/
I do beleive though that the twisted guys USB receiver is more flexible, since it can output several formats.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

Naa, ZM is not easily impressed.....

ya know that I'm proud of you and your results with my (what else than ) modest efforts ;)

that's why I'm asking lately that you send me high res pics ; these small ones aren't good enough for my pride :rofl:

steenoe said:

........Dont know why, considering the messy stuff he builds, himself....he-he....

blahblah :devilr: ya already know that I'm not building anything ..... :rofl:

but - if I remember that good - your Bab was certainly one of ugliest amps on Pass subforum ,and certainly your ugliest amp ........... :clown:

edit :
I like these htsnks ; leave them , if they are enough , temp wise .......

Zen Mod said:

ya know that I'm proud of you and your results with my (what else than ) modest efforts ;)

that's why I'm asking lately that you send me high res pics ; these small ones aren't good enough for my pride :rofl:

blahblah :devilr: ya already know that I'm not building anything ..... :rofl:

but - if I remember that good - your Bab was certainly one of ugliest amps on Pass subforum ,and certainly your ugliest amp ........... :clown:

edit :
I like these htsnks ; leave them , if they are enough , temp wise .......

He-he, My Babbelfish was ugly, but it did sound better than all the other amp's.I build things,two perspectives: 1) I want to know how it sounds, kind of build.
2) This is good, I am gonna keep it, kind of build. The Pumpkin is in category 2) ;) Just in case you didnt figure that out, yourself;)
I hope that with the ballbearings and all that, it will "Pass" on to my son ( Well,one of them;) ) In perfect working condition....:)

Yep the "finger" heatsinks does look like they belong, now that I have mounted 12 of them. If it works out temp. wise, I might keep them. It was a heck a work to install them ....

My Aleph-X monoblock's are another category 2 build:) Take a look:cool:

Before you all fall a sleep again, here is a pic of the A-X's inside:cool: Small powerplants;) 1000VA trafo's 4x100.000uF Rifa's with a hand-wound 2mH aircore inductor in the middle per monoblock ( Thanks Magura)

BTW these are the amps that I have been listening to for the longest period of time. No other amp comes close, so I must really like these:cool:

Manu said:

Nope, He will soon get some more decent ones.

;)

Manu

BTW : I forgot to say : :bigeyes: extremely beautifull all this amps.

He-he, sounds great, Manu:)
Here is one last pic of my powerplants, seen from above!! Note the "Tribal" kind of bodyplates!!! They end up at approx 49 deg C. in practical use! Maybe a tad more in the summertime! 53 deg C is the hottest I have measured. Pretty good considering the 100 Watt's output per channel....

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Before you all fall a sleep again, here is a pic of the A-X's inside:cool: Small powerplants;) 1000VA trafo's 4x100.000uF Rifa's with a hand-wound 2mH aircore inductor in the middle per monoblock ( Thanks Magura)

BTW these are the amps that I have been listening to for the longest period of time. No other amp comes close, so I must really like these:cool:

:rofl:

will they drive F4 ?

steenoe said:

B e a u t i f u l l ! ! :clown:

Pumpkin & Shuntie too !!!

Bravisimo Steen