Proven DIY Line Array Design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Guys.

I've searched the forums and read dozens of threads. I've also searched the web and found many more references on line arrays. However, I have *not* found any "standard" line array designs yet. You know, designs that have been built up, refined and commented on by 3 or 5 or 20 DIYers. :confused:

I think I can build a line array, but I want to invest my time and $$ in a proven design that has a reasonable chance of keeping me happy listening to music. At least for awhile.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ren

:)

The original Linus Array might be a way to go. Unfortunately, the plans and whitepaper are no longer hosted anywhere online (that I am aware of), and I'm not sure if the original drivers are available. You may want to e-mail selahaudio to see if he'd be willing to send a copy of the plans.

Yes, I've been wondering about that, on and off. Jim, you around? Where did the Linus array vanish off to? I remember counting up to 3(?) versions before they seemed to dwindle out on the site. I note that Selahaudio still has V2 and V3 mentioned in their gallery, with pictures (of course) but apparantly nowhere else.

Best
Scott

I wouldn't recommend the original Linus design which used MCM aluminum cone drivers. However, I can recommend that you consider the Linus 2 line array uses Silver Flute YAG20-1 tweeters and Vifa TC14WG woofers. The tweeters are fed in a 2/2/2/2 arrangement per side while the woofers are fed in a tapered 3/2/2/3 configuration. These drivers are available through Madiosound. The drivers and crossover parts would run about $1100 to $1200 or so at listed prices.

If you are serious about this design, please e-mail me. I can supply plans to those interested.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Jim Griffin said:
Per pair.
Groovy. That's what I thought but just checking.

BTW do you have any opinion of Verhagen's DIY ribbon book or AudioXpress article? I'm ordering the book, even though I've read in multiple places how there are flaws and supposedly DIYing ribbons is harder than he says.

Also, you happen to know anyone in SoCal area running NFLAs that might be willing to audition his system?

Since the talk is about line arrays I thought I would highjack this thread and ask some questions to Jim regarding Linus and Needles arrays.

I'm thinking of building a full 7.1 system using identical line arrays across all speakers. This will be used in a dedicated home theatre room 15feet wide and 23feet long. The room will have 2 rows of seating. Now to the question.

I understand that using a full line of tweeters will help when moving around in a room and getting good sound either sitting or standing. But is this necessary in a dedicated HT where you will be seated all the time? Would needles type line arrays be good in this situation? Are there any other benefits of going with a full line of tweeter for my situation?

Thanks for you help.

Comments on Line Array Questions

DIY Ribbons: I'm not into the science fair business of making my own ribbon tweters like some folks. My interest are in the development of a speaker so I use available drivers.

NFLA Listening in SoCal: You should contact Rick Craig at www.selahaudio.com and ask him if he has any clients in your area. His arrays will provide an excellent NFLA experience.

Home Theater with Line Arrays: I like LAs for this application. Arrays with a full tweeter line would provide a larger listening area and compensate for any sound difference between sitting and standing. Arrays with a single ribbon tweeter would have a more limited sweet spot vs. full length tweeters but you would get much of the near field effect if your crossover is 2000 Hz or above. The single tweeter LA speaker would be more of a sit down to listen experience but you can equalize (within the crossover) for the differences in sound fall off between the woofer line and the single tweeter at your listening distance.

Jim

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Jim Griffin said:
I wouldn't recommend the original Linus design which used MCM aluminum cone drivers. However, I can recommend that you consider the Linus 2 line array uses Silver Flute YAG20-1 tweeters and Vifa TC14WG woofers. The tweeters are fed in a 2/2/2/2 arrangement per side while the woofers are fed in a tapered 3/2/2/3 configuration. These drivers are available through Madiosound. The drivers and crossover parts would run about $1100 to $1200 or so at listed prices.

If you are serious about this design, please e-mail me. I can supply plans to those interested.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi

Silly question:
Could a design like this be successfully implemented as a 3-way with a row of midrange drivers between the woofers and the tweeters?

Cheers,
Glen

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
G.Kleinschmidt said:
Silly question:
Could a design like this be successfully implemented as a 3-way with a row of midrange drivers between the woofers and the tweeters?

Cheers,
Glen

No reason why not but probably an academic exercise given that 10x or 12x 6.5" drivers will, together, have a very respectable bass output and could easily be EQ'd for further extension yet still retain moderate efficiency and SPL.

If this isn't enough then I'd do a 2 way line array + subs rather than end up with huge boxes and another crossover for the 3-way. Unless of course your wanting very high SPL ie. 120dB+ from a few meters away and then 3-way would start to make sense.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
ShinOBIWAN said:

No reason why not but probably an academic exercise given that 10x or 12x 6.5" drivers will, together, have a very respectable bass output and could easily be EQ'd for further extension yet still retain moderate efficiency and SPL.

If this isn't enough then I'd do a 2 way line array + subs rather than end up with huge boxes and another crossover for the 3-way. Unless of course your wanting very high SPL ie. 120dB+ from a few meters away and then 3-way would start to make sense.

Equalization aside, the bass response of ten 6.5" woofers is the same as just one isn't it? I was thinking more along the lines of six 10" woofers for the bass.

Cheers,
Glen

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Equalization aside, the bass response of ten 6.5" woofers is the same as just one isn't it? I was thinking more along the lines of six 10" woofers for the bass.

Cheers,
Glen

No, that's the beauty of a line array. The effective cone area of ten 6.5in drivers is about equal to a 20 inch driver!, but without the fuss of crappy mids from a single huge driver :)
six 10" woofers (eacH?) would be like twice as much area... and that would be one hell of a box. unless you're powering a Metallica concert in your living room that sounds like a bit much.

G.Kleinschmidt said:

Perhaps, but it would be way cool.

Just out of interest, are there any freebee programs on the net (like WinISD or unibox), but that are capable of simulating the bass response of line array speakers?

Wouldn't the output (assuming relative box size and porting) justbe the same curve as produced by a single driver in WinISD, just raised by the gain due to the driver wiring configuration? This gain is relatively easy to calculate, I even have a simple spreadsheet available somewhere.

here ya go

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/arraycalc.xls

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.