Proven DIY Line Array Design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Linus Array

I am still using my Linus Arrays, thanks to Jim Griffin for the plans. I have no intention of changing anything. Version II or whatever. If there is a better sounding set of speakers, I'd like to hear them. Remembering back to the early 2000's my friend Kevin and I both built a pair and entered them into the competition in Atlanta {Southeastern USA DIY Speaker Building Competition} (and against Jim's own pair) and WON the competition that year...(Sorry Jim) I think the reason we won was due to several factors. The first being, we cut separate cutouts for each tweet, and didn't simply build one slot for them all. Secondly, we used bypass caps in the crossover.. High dollar film and foil. At the time, I didn't know if I really believed in using by pass caps, but obviously something worked. Next, I remember Jim coming by and turning our pair down quite a few times as we ran some major power through our pair, and the surrounds were definitely loosened up. I think any speaker, and especially these really need some break in time, and the surrounds ( neoprene I think) had a lot of time and energy to get loosened so they could breathe. I would like to know how low these babies will go.....And lastly, as I remember, Jim had disconnected the bottom speaker in each array for some reason, and I don't know that doing that improved the sound, and may have had the opposite effect.

I do know I bought enough drivers at the time to build another pair and the last time I looked, MCM still had the aluminum drivers available. I know they have increased in price, but I think you can get the woofers...the ribbon tweeters are the items I can not find anywhere. We used the name brand ribbons for the center two tweeters, and the Chinese knockoffs for the other 4 per channel. I think they came from Madisound, but maybe Parts Express, man I can't remember, but they also probably are outa sight in terms of price now.. Anyone have a source for these? I think they were YAG drivers, and don't know if the name brand ones are still being produced, or even WHO mad them.

Anyway, long story short, I would not change a thing, and think Dr. Griffin hit the ball out of the park with this design. I've not heard a speaker I would trade my pair for...and I have been to a CES or two in my day...Just a fantastic sounding speaker Jim. Thank you so very much... I've gone from Haflers, to Brystons, and now to heavily modified Phase Linears, but I have not, nor do I plan to, change speakers.. I'm going to finally add a sub, but I don't know that I NEED one. It would add some "fell it in your chest: bass, but the Arrays DO NOT lack bass. Where do you get all that bass from a freaking five inch speaker driver? yeah 5 1/4" I guess that extra 1/4 inch does it... UNBELIEVABLE......

And Jim, did you do design for radar arrays for fighter jets, or is that just urban legend? You ARE THE MAN...

Sutton,

Thanks for the kind words and great to hear that you still enjoy your arrays.

That urban legend remark does ring a little true. My work career was actually guided missile control systems. One task I accomplished was to design antenna array modal feed networks. These networks fed multi-element broadband antennas. Although microwave and acoustics signals are very different in their propagation characteristics, my background did help me to understand line arrays.

About 7 years ago I completed another line array which used Aurum Cantus G3 ribbons and Creative Sound Solutions WR125S woofers. You can see a photo of that array at:

http://greatplainsaudiofest.com/Photos/CSSLineArray01.jpg

That array was a kit provided by CSS for a while but the woofers are NLA.

Another line array from 2003-4 time period was a petite model that I call the Needles and you can see it at:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/43430-jim-griffins-needles.html

The Needles are still a daily listener in my living room.

Finally, I have a current work in progress array that is a slim dipolar that uses 3 25" American Technology neo planars per side. H-frame dipolar 15" woofers (large cherry box in photo) are used for the low end as pictured below in my playroom.

Jim

Attachments

• Planar Array 001.JPG
    Planar Array 001.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Yes I guess I missed out when they were on sale. I did find some mention of ATC going into a partnership with Carver for some audio products so maybe the drivers will show up again. I was curious about ATC for high end audio as they seem to be doing some major work for the military, with ship to ship speakers and such.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.